Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Quick to remove, lightweight, waterproof (and already has about 8,000 touring miles on it:))

Dowco overnight bag (sprayed with waterproofing) around $50, mounting straps included.

Yamaha Star rear luggage rack: $145.35:(

The Dowco bags are rugged and they've adapted to my VT1100C, GL1500, and now the Strat. Not bad for fifty bux and I'm not adding top heavy to a beautifully balanced machine.:):):)

·
Banned
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Kool:eek: but with bags as big as yours:confused:??

Whether I'm commuting to work, touring, or just slumming, I always carry a bicycle tire pump, tire repair kit, first aid kit, essential tools, a cover for the bike (doubles as an emergency blanket), cold weather and warm weather gloves, wind and waterproof pullover pants, paper, rags, a few bungees, maps, space blanket, candles, matches, some drinking water, et. al.

All of it stores economically and well, and after 47 motorcycle years on the road both here and abroad, I've found an emergency/breakdown 20 miles from home on the Plains or the Rockies can be as challenging as the same situation 1000 miles from home (without cellphone coverage). I never assume someone is going to stop and help, and even if I can reach a roadside assistance telephone, it can be hours (days) before help arrives.

The saddlebags on the Strats are deceptive in that they taper upward and to the rear, making for marvelous aesthetics and miserable storage problems. My "tourpack" is dedicated to some clothing, toiletries, camera, etc. When I'm commuting to work, it holds my work shoes.

This is why I love this little $9 Walmart lunchpack. Fits in a taper and keeps lots of things organized and dry:

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
ya Dan the Strato-S side bags look big but just like Springer's, mine get filled up quick just from our meds. LOL!
Man I know about those :mad:med's had a heart attack at 38.
Do you know how old 38 is:eek:

·
Registered
66 Posts
More Stuff Than A Big Purse

Springer, I cracked up when I read what you carry with you as I carry the same stuff. My pencil bag (I refer to it as the glove box) is a smaller version where I carry the small things such as tire gauge etc. I also have a small led flashlight wrapped in velcro stuck to the inside lid of each saddle bag. I can open the lid without looking and grab either of the flashlights in the dark. {gotta see what the hookers look like before I let em climb aboard).:eek:

·
Banned
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So yours is like mine, if used in anger I can only be charged with 'assault with a friendly weapon'.
I'm thinking both of yours probably bear a strong resemblance to a well used Kuryakyn iso grip...:eek:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts