Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if I have an exhaust leak or not. I bought my bike used with after market pipes like the ones in the picture (don't know which brand). Recently the starter clutch went out and I took it to a mechanic to fix it. $700 later the starter works but the bike sounds like it might have a leak in the exhaust or something. Of course I am taking the pipes off today to check it out. It sounded deeper when I brought it to him. I know he would have no reason to mess with the exhaust for this repair. So is it just some coincidence or did this idiot do something to the bike? I called him out on it and he checked timing and said it was fine. He test drove it and so did I and it seems to run fine but why in the hell does sound like crap now? Confused..........I want my old bike back can anyone offer some info for this problem? Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,530 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Speaking of the timing, that's what my buddy told me might be a cause but like I said in my posting he did check the timing and it was good but the valves I have not checked. Here is the deal, it was running fine and sounding fine but the starter clutch failed so I had this guy fix that. When I went to pick it up it started right up and idled perfect but it had been about 2 weeks and I thought it sounded like it had a leak. That is the best way to describe it. It just sounds pipey if that is a word. Kind of like poik poik poik and it is not as deep sounding. It sounds like a smaller motor. It is clearly not the same. The valves were not touched by him and actually today I removed both pipes and checked everything and they seem to be fine. The biggest question I have is while fixing the starter clutch could he have done anything in the part of the motor he was in that could have caused this? I am really more concerned he might have put something together wrong and could permanently damage the motor. By the way it is a 2002 1100 with 23000 on it.
Thanks for any advise you might have.............I miss my bike!

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I wasn't meaning the valves were adjusted or messed with, but that you could use that procedure to check and verify timing yourself.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would have to take it to another mechanic to do any engine work. I don't have enough experience to do something like that yet. And to answer your question about the backfire on deceleration, it does not. I hate to put in more money but I think I should just take it to Yamaha and see what they say. The mechanic I took it to was really cheap.........and you get what you pay for holds true again. So it sounds like you think the same as my buddy who feels it could be a timing thing. Also, when this idiot mechanic was trying to put the side cover back on it didn't fit so he needed his friend to help him figure out what he did wrong. That really scared me. I know he did say something about lining up the gears on the cam or something like that. Again, seeming like a timing thing. I don't really have experience in the internal workings of a motor so I am at the mercy of mechanics for now until I get into it and learn. Do you know of any good reasonable mechanics in the L.A. area? Thanks for taking the time to help me on this.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Sorry I couldn't post back, forum just wouldn't accept. If you have an exhaust leak you'll have backfiring on hard decel (engine braking), per Mikuni. You may not hear this on the stock (sewing machine) pipes. I am not familiar with the LA area, so I can't recommend anybody. You might try a more direct question to that, a new thread asking that on the Forum. Barring that I think getting your timing verified by your dealer would be a good idea and soon to rule that in or out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the help guys. I will try the hose thing but I am pretty sure now that is not the issue here. And as far as the backfire, I did hear it doing it when I went on a short ride last night. I let my buddy hear it who knows bikes better than me and he thinks it is a valve thing. Also, the engine light comes on on high rpm's and he tells me the compression is usually the reason the light comes on. I think this cheap mechanic is becoming not so cheap. It's off to Yamaha. Thanks again for your help!

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Don't ride it anymore till you get it checked out. Especially with the CE light coming on. I was looking at the wiring print and the only thing I can see is a possible disagree between speed sensor and the pickup sensor as they feed the ECU (timing). My print doesn't break down the internals of the ECU. There's just not that many feeds into ECU. There's no O2 to tell you the mixture is off on an 2002. There's no knock sensor to pick-up detonation or pre-ignition. You have a throttle position sensor but there's no reason he would have had that disconnected.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
starter clutch

There is a lot of moving parts in the Generator and Starter clutch. If these parts are not put back together flat and clean then you will get a hissing sound from the runout(metal-to-metal) . If it were me I would take it to the Yamaha shop and as Fulltilt1 has said I would not run it .
I guess I'm luck because there is a good Yamaha Shop close by:D.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There is definitely more of a moving parts sound in the motor if that's what you mean. So does the description of the sound of the bike seem to also be descriptive of a poor assembly? That's weird to me that it will run if the internal parts aren't done correctly. But what do I know except DON'T EVER TRY TO SAVE ON MECHANICS..........IT WILL COME BACK TO BITE YOU!!! Thanks

·
Registered
2000 Yamaha Vstar 1100 Custom
89 Posts
There is definitely more of a moving parts sound in the motor if that's what you mean. So does the description of the sound of the bike seem to also be descriptive of a poor assembly? That's weird to me that it will run if the internal parts aren't done correctly. But what do I know except DON'T EVER TRY TO SAVE ON MECHANICS..........IT WILL COME BACK TO BITE YOU!!! Thanks
I know this was a ton of years ago but changing the starter clutch 1000% makes messing up the timing possible. you have to pull the flywheel, and mess with the gears and TDC. I know its been 10 years but I hope this can give some foresight to future forum-goers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts