Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys first time bike owner and might need a touch of help.
first the bike is a 04 Vstar 650/a

the previous owner keep it gerauged for about 3 years with little to no riding just fired it up to keep things running.

now i own the bike and below is what im seeing

the bike will fire right up with no issue while choke is on from a cold start.
i let the bike run for around 10 or so min.
sounds good to me while its running. videos attached below

once i push in the choke the bike dies , i added new gas and seafoam to the tank ran it for about an 30 min pushed choke in and the bike idled but was very chuggy for a few moments then died.
im thinking i may take the carb covers off and clean the jets but if any one has anything else they would recommend before opening the bike up , it would be helpful as im not a super mechanically inclined person

https://youtu.be/LjX5FogtkhA shows bike running w/choke at the end i kill the choke and it dies
https://youtu.be/uV7t1rco-wU just the bike running with choke on from another view

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Cleaning the jets is the way to go. Just before i bought my 1100 had the same problem and he had it serviced and they replaced the jets. The best thing to do is turn off petcock and run carbs dry if it is going to sit. Sounds like the new gas and seafoam helped a little. 3 years is a long time to sit with out running.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
check your spark plugs - if they are black change them

motorcycles are not designed to sit and idle - the seafoam is not flowing thru the PM ports or the main jets when its idling, so nothing is getting flushed out

with the seafoam in the tank with fresh gas, put your gear on, start the bike up, and ride it. If it will run at all ride it hard, find some hills and climb them WFOpen on the throttle, back off to slow down and open it up again.

The fuel and cleaner needs to be blasting thru the jets to work

if you can get it to go about a mile down the road with the throttle open push the choke in all the way - you should only need it for starting when its stone cold.

If the bike wont run well enough to do this, try turning the petcock off and let it idle anyway you can till the floats run dry and it quits - then pull the gas line going to the carbs off and see if you get coax some pure seafoam into the carbs, using something like a turkey baster and a short hose. If you can get some in there, crank it for a few seconds with the throttle open to suck it into the jets. If it starts up shut it off, and let it sit overnight, then put the line back on the carbs and see if it will run well enough to ride it.

If you can do this you will save yourself alot of potential grief from manually cleaning the carbs - its a task with many pitfalls, and if they have never been apart you will strip out the screws and have to replace them.

If it still wont run then its time to clean the carbs manually, flush out the tank good, get a new fuel filter, and run some seafoam thru the fuel pump - then when you got your carbs manually cleaned there will be no goop anywhere all the way back to the gas tank (to get sucked into your nice clean carbs). You'd be surprised how often people do that.

EDIT: just noticed we were already discussing this in your new member thread - did not realize you are the same person, sorry for the repetition.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your good KCW. Your info is extremely helpful and I appreciate it. Sadlly i killed the battery ad well lol so have to charge it back up befir i do anything but will start working on this some time this week. Thanks a ton
As for the videos how does the bike sound to you like it should or anything that sounds off?

check your spark plugs - if they are black change them

motorcycles are not designed to sit and idle - the seafoam is not flowing thru the PM ports or the main jets when its idling, so nothing is getting flushed out

with the seafoam in the tank with fresh gas, put your gear on, start the bike up, and ride it. If it will run at all ride it hard, find some hills and climb them WFOpen on the throttle, back off to slow down and open it up again.

The fuel and cleaner needs to be blasting thru the jets to work

if you can get it to go about a mile down the road with the throttle open push the choke in all the way - you should only need it for starting when its stone cold.

If the bike wont run well enough to do this, try turning the petcock off and let it idle anyway you can till the floats run dry and it quits - then pull the gas line going to the carbs off and see if you get coax some pure seafoam into the carbs, using something like a turkey baster and a short hose. If you can get some in there, crank it for a few seconds with the throttle open to suck it into the jets. If it starts up shut it off, and let it sit overnight, then put the line back on the carbs and see if it will run well enough to ride it.

If you can do this you will save yourself alot of potential grief from manually cleaning the carbs - its a task with many pitfalls, and if they have never been apart you will strip out the screws and have to replace them.

If it still wont run then its time to clean the carbs manually, flush out the tank good, get a new fuel filter, and run some seafoam thru the fuel pump - then when you got your carbs manually cleaned there will be no goop anywhere all the way back to the gas tank (to get sucked into your nice clean carbs). You'd be surprised how often people do that.

EDIT: just noticed we were already discussing this in your new member thread - did not realize you are the same person, sorry for the repetition.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
I get an error: This video not available

post the youtube name of the video, will watch it tomorrow

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
can see them now - it sounds like its running on one cylinder

did you check and see if the pipes get flesh-burning hot coming right out of the heads?

(lick your finger and tap the pipe fast to check)

you cant tell by the air coming out of the exhaust, because both cylinders will act like a compressor and blow air out the exhaust, and it will be somewhat warm from being compressed - but right at the head the pipes will quickly get hot if that cylinder is firing.

If its only running on one cylinder dont run it like that, the one that is not firing is washing the cylinder walls down with the un-burned fuel.

Check your plugs and see what they look like, and if I have not said it before, do not tighten up the plugs without a torque wrench - even a cheap harbor freight torque wrench is better than trying to tighten steel threads into alum by feel.

another thing to look at, pull the air filter out, if its not white its acting like a choke - and make sure there is not a bee's nest in the intake box.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
will do after work today will check the plugs. as for checking the pipe do you mean from a cold start or while the bike is warmed up ? im assuming from a cold start but would rather make sure i know what your asking before doing it wrong lol

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
from a cold start you can put a finger on both exhaust pipes right where they come out of the heads - they will both warm up quickly and then get hot enough to burn your fingers if both are firing

if one is not firing it will only get a bit warm

you can also tell by putting your hand over the exhaust and smelling it - burnt fuel will smell like exhaust and make you sick if you breath enough, the other will smell like raw gas fumes coming out. Dont stick your face there, hold your hand over it, then smell your hand (just in case the engine decides to back fire....)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
KCW, i could give you a hug... fired up from a cold start felt the pipes and sure enough the front pipe never got hot. pulled the plug and was it nasty. put the new one in and she roared to life , changing the other one tomorrow ran out of daylight today. will update once i change the other.

·
Super Moderator
4,608 Posts

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
:^)

once you get it running use the full choke only to get it started

then push it in about half way while you check your lights signals and mirrors, zipper up your jacket, and then ride off

about a mile down the road push it in all the way

normally on a hot day you will not need to use the choke again till the next morning

let the seafoam do its stuff now, and let us know how it works.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
Chris didnt say where he is on the overall maintenance of the newly acquired bike.

I would always change the oil and filter on a used bike once I got it home, if its sat for a few years then I would change it before I rode it more than a few miles.

Chris had the bike idling for a while on one cylinder - not sure how much fuel would condense out on the cylinder walls and how much would blow out the exhaust from that. There will be some of both, and the gas in the catalytic converter is going to burn off now, might rainbow the exhaust by the muffler a bit. Might be good to ride the bike a few miles, let the exhaust cool down, ride it a few more miles, let it cool down, so any gas in the exhaust has a chance to evaporate and blow thru, instead of acting like a chimney fire in there.

If you have not changed the oil yet this is a good time for new oil and filter, before you put more than a few miles on it

If you already changed it... maybe sniff the crankcase by the oil filler cap and see if it smells like gasoline?

If the bike had a stuck float in the carbs and was draining fuel from the tank into the crankcase, then no question, then I would drain the oil and replace it, but in this case... hard to say if its necessary.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts

RUGGED INDIVIDUAL SOCIETY YEARLY MEETING AND GROUP HUG

1 - 15 of 15 Posts