Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening fellow riders, it has been a long time for me and i hate to jump on here to ask for help but I'm at a loss. So I finally got my bobber about 90% complete. I have a bottle with fuel Jerry rigged to the fuel filter for troubleshooting reasons. With that set up the bike will run all day long. When I hook up the fuel line from the tank the bike will run for about 15 minutes and die. I go back to the bottle and runs like a champ. I checked the fuel line, petcock, and fuel tank...no clogs of any kind. Is it possible that the fuel pump is not sucking enough fuel from the tank to continue running. Any thoughts you guys have will be greatly appreciated. By the way its a 2000 vstar 1100 custom with 28,000 miles.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought that too so I ran the bike with no gas cap and same scenario happened. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can hear the pump when I turn the key, I see the fuel being sucked in to the pump from the water bottle but it won't suck the fuel from the tank. Is there another way to troubleshoot the pump?

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Did you pull the petcock out of the tank, take it apart and check it?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey sick Mick, thanks for the reply and yes I checked the peacock and it is free and clear...anyone have some options for checking the pump?

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Mick mentionned the petcock. Did you in fact remove it and dismantle it. There could be some gremlin hidding in there that takes a while to block the fuel flow. To test the pump you could connect the tank, and then disconnect the input hose from the carb. Have a container ready to catch the fuel when you turn the key on. Check the flow and let it run for a bit. You should be able to see if the flow reduces fairly quickly.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Corsair I'll try that and I'll take the petcock apart to see if there's anything in there.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Hey Gunny I've seen the fuel lines get delaminated on the inside causing a little flap of fuel line to act like a check valve and clog itself. Is there any fuel line hooked up with the tank that isn't hooked up when your jury rig is in place? From the picture it appears there is. Just something to check when you're making sure your petcock is free flowing.

·
Registered
49 Posts
^^^^^ This and make sure your not pinching off a fuel or vacuum line when installing the tank back on the frame.

But before that, you should do a GPM check.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Problem solved...so thank you too sick mick and corsair, there was some debris in the petcock, not a lot but some. And thank you to sparkn, turns out the line was deteriorated on the inside. Got a new fuel line and she's purring like a tiger. Thanks to everyone who took the time to respond.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts