Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I need some answers re head gasket change out please.
What difficulty level is it?
Parts & tools list needed?
Where is it best to source parts?
If brought to a mechanic what should it cost & how long would it be off the road?
I will post photos tomorrow.
Thanks in advance.
Tiff913

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
6,702 Posts
I've been around Vstars for a while and never had anyone post issue with head gasket. I suggest cleaning area very good so you can trace exactly where the leak is coming from. Post the pictures so maybe we can help.

·
Registered
2008 Vstar1300
344 Posts
My question is the head gasket leaking or the Valve covers or the adjustment caps.. Pics needed for sure :)

·
Super Moderator
3,247 Posts
I agree with les and Mrdub. Oil leaks often have a way of disguising where they originate. I thought I had an oil leak at the front of my front cylinder last summer. It turned out the valve cover was leaking at the rear of it and running along the fins to where it dripped from the front. It was a cheap and easy fix but very deceiving. Clean it up and make sure that's where it's coming from, but I have my doubts it's a head gasket.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Phew, thanks for the reassurance guys, I'll give it a good clean up now and get those photos up. ?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok a few photos before the clean up, leak appears to be below head gasket all over the front cylinder fins and down the side casing, front of air filter and pipes

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
6,702 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Vstar1300
344 Posts
Hey tiff..make sure you clean around the oil filter..it might be leaking .That oil from the filter would blow all over the front of the engine making other things look like they are leaking.. Clean it up and run it.. don't ride it.. if the oil is blowing you won't know where from...

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Hard to tell but look up a little more at the valve adjustment cover. One on front cylinder is chrome and rear cylinder is painted. There is a rubber oring that leaks with age. See attached diagram, Spring is number 25. Very common, cheap and easy fix.

Here is old post.

http://www.starbikeforums.com/forums/49-v-star/88130-oil-leak-near-rear-exhaust-port.html

Good luck and keep us informed.
if o ring number 20 leaks it will look like the head is leaking, you can,t see in there directly to see if that o ring is leaking

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Guys, what info do I need to order these O rings, is there a part # in the manual to match please?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi guys, so sorry for my delay in closing out my query. So having followed all the great advice and information i discovered that the gasket of the front cylinder tensioner case had perished and cracked leaking oil over the cooling fins!
A quick trip to auto parts $4 of gasket, traced around the cover and cut out a new gasket I was back on the road oil free.
Many thanks again

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
Last year my 650 started leaving a drip on the garage floor, right under the drive shaft output seal. I always nose my front wheel up against the wall, so the oil dripped in exactly the same spot, and it was smaller than a dime on the floor.

I figured after all these years the drive shaft seal must be oozing a bit, the spinning shaft is throwing the oil all over the back of the engine - no big deal. When I finally got around to soaping the whole engine up with laundry soap... it was the valve tappet cover o ring all the way up on the top of the rear head. $4 part, and that is the ONLY tappet cover you can get off without pulling the carbs off the bike.

Sometimes you just get lucky.

Head gaskets should be good for the life of the bike, unless the engine gets seriously overheated and the heads warp.

And like others have said: oil has an unbelievable ability to wick itself across metal surfaces on a hot engine, and migrate everywhere. That is part of what makes it an excellent lubricant: its surface adhesion.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts