Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not absolutely sure that it was here on this forum that I read about a fellow member having some kind of engine problems (I think it was valve related?) with his/her SVTC a while ago but noticed this person's report of a "camshaft" problem with his new SVTC and thought I would ask about thoughts as to whether or not this might be something becoming common..
Apparently the person writing this is up in Canada somewhere and may gonna be bikeless until the ride season is over up there (October), definitely brings :( when you think about it..

The article is found here: https://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?138223-PARTS-AVAILABILITY-Camshaft-not-available-for-SVTC

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
one of the new venture owners here did have a problem.. I think the lifter jammed and mashed a cam.

It has all been fixed and he is riding again, so I think the guy on the other forum is new venture owner #2 with a jammed lifter and mashed cam.

Im sure the guy on this forum will see this when he is not riding and reply.

BTW, those guys on the other site are hard core: lawyers? Suing yamaha for damages?! I missed the part where someone died because they could not ride their motorcycle!

There is nothing in the sales contract that states Yamaha must fix a bike under warranty within a fixed time period. If you want to see some owners of $120,000 cars who are very unhappy with the time it takes to get their cars repaired, go read the Tesla owners forum!

YIKES!

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I am not absolutely sure that it was here on this forum that I read about a fellow member having some kind of engine problems (I think it was valve related?) with his/her SVTC a while ago but noticed this person's report of a "camshaft" problem with his new SVTC and thought I would ask about thoughts as to whether or not this might be something becoming common..
Apparently the person writing this is up in Canada somewhere and may gonna be bikeless until the ride season is over up there (October), definitely brings /forums/images/smilies/frown.gif when you think about it..

The article is found here: https://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?138223-PARTS-AVAILABILITY-Camshaft-not-available-for-SVTC
LoneStar, that was me who had the valve issue. Yes it was the rear cylinder and they basically replaced my whole valve train. I was without a bike for a total of almost 3 weeks, but the dealership had a gray demo SVTC that they let me take out and ride for the last week. It was very kind of them.
As far as WHY the valve issue, if you remember there was a delay in the release of the SVTC. This was caused by a leaking crank case seal. Yamaha chose to do the repairs in house instead of pushing it off on the dealers. There were about 500 bikes that had the engine pulled, repaired and re-installed. From the damage (I have pics) that happened to mine, it is assumed by all that during reassembly, either no or insufficient cam lube was applied. As you know this lubricates the cam during start up until the oil can get circulating. Without that, the cam and lifter became “scored” and wear continued to progress from there.
All my oil changes, type and levels were always spot on. This was their bad.
I’m sorry to have someone else go through that, and that he’s willing to give up on a wonderful machine because of a glitch.

·
Registered
809 Posts
LoneStar, that was me who had the valve issue. Yes it was the rear cylinder and they basically replaced my whole valve train. I was without a bike for a total of almost 3 weeks, but the dealership had a gray demo SVTC that they let me take out and ride for the last week. It was very kind of them.
As far as WHY the valve issue, if you remember there was a delay in the release of the SVTC. This was caused by a leaking crank case seal. Yamaha chose to do the repairs in house instead of pushing it off on the dealers. There were about 500 bikes that had the engine pulled, repaired and re-installed. From the damage (I have pics) that happened to mine, it is assumed by all that during reassembly, either no or insufficient cam lube was applied. As you know this lubricates the cam during start up until the oil can get circulating. Without that, the cam and lifter became “scored” and wear continued to progress from there.
I’m sorry to have someone else go through that, and that he’s willing to give up on a wonderful machine because of a glitch.
I have to wonder now, is every SVTC with a last three digits at 500 numeral (or less) on the engine serial number going to have this....when they hand rebuilt the motors, did they NOT as procedure re-lube all rotating parts before final re-installation? With the second one...(of course, I'd love someone on that forum to ask that owner his last three digits on his engine serial number (that is important!), so we can see if this might be a concern to everybody that has a bike at 500 or less for those last three digits!!!

Chief...I know you are still logged on there...how about asking him on that thread what his engine serial number is...so we can see if there might be a trend...

Thanks,
Joe

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I have to wonder now, is every SVTC with a last three digits at 500 numeral (or less) on the engine serial number going to have this....when they hand rebuilt the motors, did they NOT as procedure re-lube all rotating parts before final re-installation? With the second one...(of course, I'd love someone on that forum to ask that owner his last three digits on his engine serial number (that is important!), so we can see if this might be a concern to everybody that has a bike at 500 or less for those last three digits!!!

Chief...I know you are still logged on there...how about asking him on that thread what his engine serial number is...so we can see if there might be a trend...

Thanks,
Joe
I do “lurk” over there and “pop in” because I can’t stand to see NEW unaware SVTC owners or prospective owners get a bunch of negative info.
I did ask about his serial number so we can see if there’s a pattern.
Why His is taking a few months instead of a few weeks is odd.... unless I got the only available spare cam?? Or possibly they pulled it off another bike. It should be noted the guy having the problem is located in Canada.
It should be noted I held the old parts in my hand when I took the picture so I KNOW they were replaced!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do “lurk” over there and “pop in” because I can’t stand to see NEW unaware SVTC owners or prospective owners get a bunch of negative info.
Why His is taking a few months instead of a few weeks is odd.... unless I got the only available spare cam?? Or possibly they pulled it off another bike. It should be noted the guy having the problem is located in Canada.
It should be noted I held the old parts in my hand when I took the picture so I KNOW they were replaced!
I see that you followed up with this ChiefGunner,,, THANK YOU!! It will now be interesting to see if the original poster of that thread at "VentureRiders" does respond with the last 4 digits of his VIN. As you pointed out, that could be very telling as it could answer the question of whether or not this ongoing failure really is related to Yamaha failing to lube the camshaft on the early rebuilds as you have been told or if it is something ongoing beyond those early bikes. Either way,, ya really do have to feel sorry for the the guy over there who put up all that money and now is bikeless.. I think he should have been treated a LOT better by his dealership.
Congrats on getting yours taken care of so quickly CheifGunner!!

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
See if you can find out what day his bike was made
and see if that coincidences with National Take Your Daughter To Work and let her build a motorcycle day?

because YIKES!

Its hard to second guess what they did when they took those 500 engines apart to replace the seal.

Its possible a few lifters got thru the quality check a little bit out of spec, and just jammed.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
See if you can find out what day his bike was made
and see if that coincidences with National Take Your Daughter To Work and let her build a motorcycle day?

because YIKES!
I was fortunate because I have a good dealership and ONLY their TOP TECH is allowed to work on my bike. They are very good at listening and not just brushing it off when I tell them I have a concern.
This guy in Canada could have probably avoided worse damage if they would have listened to him earlier!
I also installed Dimple Plugs and Fiter Mags to make sure I got ALL metal particulates OUT of the engine. Something I HOPE he has the foresight to do.

I know you’re “poking fun”, but for this poor guy this it’s devastating. IMHO, Yamaha needs to step up to the plate and insist he be given a loaner SVTC while waiting OR THEY will make his payments on the bike for him while it’s down. He shouldn’t be stuck without a bike AND having to pay when he can’t ride it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was fortunate because I have a good dealership and ONLY their TOP TECH is allowed to work on my bike. They are very good at listening and not just brushing it off when I tell them I have a concern.
This guy in Canada could have probably avoided worse damage if they would have listened to him earlier!
I also installed Dimple Plugs and Fiter Mags to make sure I got ALL metal particulates OUT of the engine. Something I HOPE he has the foresight to do.

I know you’re “poking fun”, but for this poor guy this it’s devastating. IMHO, Yamaha needs to step up to the plate and insist he be given a loaner SVTC while waiting OR THEY will make his payments on the bike for him while it’s down. He shouldn’t be stuck without a bike AND having to pay when he can’t ride it.
I agree ChiefGunner!! This is no $300 Sam's Club mini bike we are talking about!! This is a high dollar luxury motorcycle, the transaction should be handled no different than any other high end transaction.
In that the bike is "brand new" and not even broken in yet (he didnt state exact mileage but did say this all started right after the first oil change) one would expect nothing but the very best treatment from Yamaha and/or the dealership.. If they dont have the parts to fix his bike,, I would expecting a new replacement bike while they sort out what is going on. This is not uncommon in the world of vehicles:wink:.

·
Registered
809 Posts

Chief, given that he noticed sounds coming AFTER his 600 miles first oil change, I am wondering outloud with the following;

Did the mechanic, OR...apprentice,, or merely a shop hand 'gopher', perform the oil change, and did they put in the proper EXACT amount back through the accesss oil plug in the top of the crankcase? That's my first outright question. Secondly, HOW much oil was put into the oil tank...and was the bike held level on the floor via a lift, or on the lift table via the front tire 'cradle' while oil was put in, (at the EXACT amount specified between the crankcase pour in port, and the oil tank itself, and then, did they RUN the bike at least for 5-7 minutes to allow all the oil to circulate throughout the long oil path travel, from the engine scavenger pump, out the line to the oil cooler, and then the long oil pathway back to the oil tank...and so forth?

I think on this particular bike, allowing the oil, after an oil change to circulate its pathway, one to two times in volume,----> is critical for a proper oil change and final oil level dip stick check in the oil tank, and of course as Yamaha states...and we new owners all know, that the bike must be dead level, for any oil level dip sticking, read out!

My best advice to all, is that if you do not do the oil changes yourself....and follow all the above, that you INSIST, you watch the entire procedure to make sure you see your bike being kept level and vertical, when the oil is being added, and that enough run time is on that oil, for a proper course run, a couple of times, along the oil return path, so any air, etc, is allowed to be pushed ahead of the oil path, and you get a proper dip stick oil tank reading, which should (by already rider and owner histronics, be at the MID point between the high and low hash mark, and not right at the top, 'out of the dealership'

Also, to all owners, we first adopters have found that on this particular bike, you need to 'dip' the oil tank, and take your dip stick reading, AFTER any ride, and not before, assuming that you knew first in the oil addition cycle, that there was enough oil in the oil tank coming from the dealer, or your last oil change at home. This bike needs to be at full engine operating temperature!!!--------->before you take a dip stick oil tank reading. This is very important, as we all have found out by usage-ownership.

If an owner does not have a portable bike lift, one thing they can do, (and this is a cheap solution), is to go to a car junk yard, and buy TWO common tire scissor jacks, and place either one mid way point under the engine frame, and raise both up simultaneously, to keep the bike level at home, but NOT to raise the tires off the ground. That is the cheap way to do it, other than going out and buying a true motorcycle lift that can actually lift elevate both tires off the ground for tire changes, etc. I have a lift, so I only jack Charlotte up enough to keep her dead vertical, but not enough to lift the front and back tires off of the garage floor.

Another way, is for adding the proper amount of oil in both the crankcase and then the oil tank, and then with the left tour bag lid open, and a shop towel in your hand, sit on the bike, let it run for about 7 minutes at idle. Then turn the engine off, let it sit for about two to three minutes, and then with your left hand, dip the stick, (not screwed in at all) and take your reading level. That works great when out on tour, as I do this each evening after we head into lodging, and unpacking the bike. I place a shop towel fore, and aft of the dip stick to catch any drip that might come off the dip stick as I am astride the bike, and take the reading, with another shop towel (or Kleenex) in my right hand, to wipe the dip stick before putting it to the dip stick hole and then making sure I don't double thread it...and turn it 'to bed'. Just some suggestions...but I wonder, if the shop screwed up the oil change on this poor Canadian's bike. It doesn't seem to be mileage related, for even if this chap could put a thousand miles (unlikely) after the oil change before he noticed symptoms....Chief had over 5,000 miles (not kilo's) before HIS symptoms on the aft cylinder running gear showed up. So...in closing, I think that each and every oil change procedure on this bike, is absolutely critical to be done right...how much is put into the crankcase, how much is put into the oil tank, and the quality and viscosity of the oil as well.

My take, anyways....while waiting back to see what the last four digits of this chap's SVTC is. That also will be telling, and if his last four digits are over 0500, then we know that it possibly could be HOW the oil change on this engine is done...and not merely the first 500 production bikes that were re-built for the leaking crank case joining gasket. Personally, I'm really hoping that his serial number comes in at the 600 plus range, for my very own Charlotte is under 0500, and so of course if there is a trend, it will raise my level of concern, and to watch out for any signs (operational noises, not right) myself. So, crossing my fingers that his bike is beyond the first 500, which then will lead to other possible reasons (that I mention) other than the hand-rebuilt series. I'm hoping to read that....but again, so sorry to also read that this fellow and the Chief even HAD this come up. What a bummer. Also, YooperMoose has many thousands of miles on his ride...and some through grueling road and atmospheric conditions...and hasn't reported on this or the other venture forum, any of what is being discussed here. That is also most encouraging that this could be a very minor 'few' out of the thousands produced, OR...this could concern EVERY owner, if the oil change procedure is not faithfully followed EACH and EVERY oil change for the life of the motor.

Post Edit: I am thinking as coffee is flowing through my veins (LOL), that on this particular ride, ...it is in the owner's best interest to ONLY be the one to change out the oil and filter on this ride. Then...you know...you take your time, you do it right...and KNOW that it was done right...oil put back into the crankcase, oil put back into the tank...and the proper way to check the final oil volume in the tank....yep....and if going out on tour, you make sure as the owner, that the oil life, will last the tour mileage...and if not, you change your oil BEFORE you take that extended two week road trip....just so you do NOT have to take it into a shop while upon Tour. That's what I'm going to make my personal SVTC Oil Change M.O.! Yep...yep.....

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Chief, given that he noticed sounds coming AFTER his 600 miles first oil change, I am wondering outloud with the following;

Did the mechanic, OR...apprentice,, or merely a shop hand 'gopher', perform the oil change, and did they put in the proper EXACT amount back through the accesss oil plug in the top of the crankcase? That's my first outright question. Secondly, HOW much oil was put into the oil tank...and was the bike held level on the floor via a lift, or on the lift table via the front tire 'cradle' while oil was put in, (at the EXACT amount specified between the crankcase pour in port, and the oil tank itself, and then, did they RUN the bike at least for 5-7 minutes to allow all the oil to circulate throughout the long oil path travel, from the engine scavenger pump, out the line to the oil cooler, and then the long oil pathway back to the oil tank...and so forth?

I think on this particular bike, allowing the oil, after an oil change to circulate its pathway, one to two times in volume,----> is critical for a proper oil change and final oil level dip stick check in the oil tank, and of course as Yamaha states...and we new owners all know, that the bike must be dead level, for any oil level dip sticking, read out!

My best advice to all, is that if you do not do the oil changes yourself....and follow all the above, that you INSIST, you watch the entire procedure to make sure you see your bike being kept level and vertical, when the oil is being added, and that enough run time is on that oil, for a proper course run, a couple of times, along the oil return path, so any air, etc, is allowed to be pushed ahead of the oil path, and you get a proper dip stick oil tank reading, which should (by already rider and owner histronics, be at the MID point between the high and low hash mark, and not right at the top, 'out of the dealership'

Also, to all owners, we first adopters have found that on this particular bike, you need to 'dip' the oil tank, and take your dip stick reading, AFTER any ride, and not before, assuming that you knew first in the oil addition cycle, that there was enough oil in the oil tank coming from the dealer, or your last oil change at home. This bike needs to be at full engine operating temperature!!!--------->before you take a dip stick oil tank reading. This is very important, as we all have found out by usage-ownership.

If an owner does not have a portable bike lift, one thing they can do, (and this is a cheap solution), is to go to a car junk yard, and buy TWO common tire scissor jacks, and place either one mid way point under the engine frame, and raise both up simultaneously, to keep the bike level at home, but NOT to raise the tires off the ground. That is the cheap way to do it, other than going out and buying a true motorcycle lift that can actually lift elevate both tires off the ground for tire changes, etc. I have a lift, so I only jack Charlotte up enough to keep her dead vertical, but not enough to lift the front and back tires off of the garage floor.

Another way, is for adding the proper amount of oil in both the crankcase and then the oil tank, and then with the left tour bag lid open, and a shop towel in your hand, sit on the bike, let it run for about 7 minutes at idle. Then turn the engine off, let it sit for about two to three minutes, and then with your left hand, dip the stick, (not screwed in at all) and take your reading level. That works great when out on tour, as I do this each evening after we head into lodging, and unpacking the bike. I place a shop towel fore, and aft of the dip stick to catch any drip that might come off the dip stick as I am astride the bike, and take the reading, with another shop towel (or Kleenex) in my right hand, to wipe the dip stick before putting it to the dip stick hole and then making sure I don't double thread it...and turn it 'to bed'. Just some suggestions...but I wonder, if the shop screwed up the oil change on this poor Canadian's bike. It doesn't seem to be mileage related, for even if this chap could put a thousand miles (unlikely) after the oil change before he noticed symptoms....Chief had over 5,000 miles (not kilo's) before HIS symptoms on the aft cylinder running gear showed up. So...in closing, I think that each and every oil change procedure on this bike, is absolutely critical to be done right...how much is put into the crankcase, how much is put into the oil tank, and the quality and viscosity of the oil as well.

My take, anyways....
Excellent read and VERY informative Mr. Excellence,, THANK YOU for your insight!!
In reading thru your in depth description of even properly checking the oil in an SVTC it suddenly dawned on me that you have vast experience on the Honda Goldwing too (is this correct? Thinking I remember reading this). I gotta ask, was the Wing as tempermental on oil changes and checking the oil when touring? After reading all this and now seeing what may go wrong if not done properly (if this is what caused the failure on the persons bike from Canada) on the SVTC, I am going to investigate the ease/difficulty of changing/checking/adding oil on the new Wing when we go in for a test ride. This WILL be right at the top of my list!!!!
Good info sir!! THANKS!!

·
Registered
809 Posts
Excellent read and VERY informative Mr. Excellence,, THANK YOU for your insight!!
In reading thru your in depth description of even properly checking the oil in an SVTC it suddenly dawned on me that you have vast experience on the Honda Goldwing too (is this correct? Thinking I remember reading this). I gotta ask, was the Wing as tempermental on oil changes and checking the oil when touring? After reading all this and now seeing what may go wrong if not done properly (if this is what caused the failure on the persons bike from Canada) on the SVTC, I am going to investigate the ease/difficulty of changing/checking/adding oil on the new Wing when we go in for a test ride. This WILL be right at the top of my list!!!!
Good info sir!! THANKS!!
Hello Lonestar...and no, not on the 2008 GL1800. I merely placed the GL1800 firstly, on its center stand, and then dropped the crankcase oil plug. I let that drain, then rotated off the oil filter, let that drain...installed the new oil filter, then reinstalled the oil drain plug, with a proper torque wrench 'kiss'...and then put in 4 liters of oil. Put the oil crank case cap to bed....ran the engine for about three minutes...then dipped the stick...and all was good. That bike of course is a wet sump...so all the oil sits in the crankcase...as is the same for my 2004 Kawasaki ZR-7S. Same deal there.

This bike, because you have to split the oil volume between the actual engine lower crankcase, and the out-board oil tank...makes the procedure more 'follow through' intensive. Honestly, if done as I suggest, at home, or upon the road after your riding day ends...it is no more difficult than slapping oil into my older Goldwing. Now...if you want to compare what (I am lurking and reading) the 2018 Goldwing DCT involves...that is a total 'nuther' beast...!!! Many, many owners did not anticipate two filters, one for the engine, and one for the transmission, as well as the finicky gasket placement on servicing the DCT transmission. Many were pinching that gasket, with the resultant oil leak from the tranny. Apparently, it is not an easy task to get that tranny gasket to sit and bed properly as you torque up the plate. Many are complaining about the complexity of now servicing the 2018 Wing.

So...it seems that with either the 2018 SVTC by Yamaha, or the 2018 Goldwing, by Honda...what oil change procedure was done in the past...is 'done'...in the past!

Lonestar...my truly honest opinion here....I have no buyer's remorse whatsoever, in coming from my 2008 Wing, to the SVTC. None at all. The SVTC is one fantastic ride...it involves you...it is a blast to ride and own...it handles all the luggage volume you and your missus is going to need on tour, it has power to pass any sane amount of traffic ahead of you on a two lane'er....it has totally sufficient power to keep you at 75 mph on cruise up any mountain slope....two up...as I say with my wife, with total Girl Stuff 'up.....it will eat those miles like it has a sugar addiction to donuts!!!!!!

My wife and I love this bike..and she has never ridden more miles with me (we are both horseback riders as well, so she LOVES her equestrian time in the saddle), and for her to ride more with me, than EVER, than on our great past, GL1800, says so much to me, and such a huge compliment to our current SVTC!!!! She LOVES to co-ride with me...and if I even (not a dedicated tour, or weekend...) mention that I am going out for a two hour jaunt...she is usually beating me first to the garage door...(I'm still not use to that...and am LOVING IT!)...for to me, the joy of motorcycling, has always been a team ride...the sheer joy of being able to talk to each other as you see different things along your route....is what I ride for. Even when I ride solo, or take out my Kawa...I still wait until Pookie Dear, can slip a leg over the back saddle..and off we are again, the dynamic duo.... That is the cream of the cream, for myself personally, and the SVTC is such a fantastic Magic Carpet that makes it all happen. The Wing, did it also...BUT...the SVTC injects excitement..where my Wing ownership, simply did not. What I should mention also...is that I was IGNORANT of that excitement factor...the sound, the feel, the rider/motorcycle integration you get when riding the SVTC...for I ONLY had owned GoldWings as our dedicated tour mount, so knew nothing else for a ride envelope. That is why the first few rides upon the SVTC were so stunning!!!! Wow...THIS is what I was missing all along, but DIDN'T KNOW that I was missing, if you can understand my 'drift'. Will I ever leave a V-Twin riding solution now? NEVER....NEVER....and by what I read upon the non-Yamaha SVTC V-Twin competitor engines with their pretty much, non anti-fatigue, anti-vibration inherent technology------->...I would only consider buying a later model year Yamaha Star Venture T.C. That would be my requirements.

LoneStar...the SVTC is as smooth as my box six was...in that there is NO vibration in the handle bars, in the foot boards, upon the saddle, that is going to fatigue you and your better half. What you DO feel, is the bike alive...the fantastic...let me repeat...the FANTASTIC feel of the POWER PULSE, of those two massive pistons...running at such low rpm's...turning at such low rpm's..that even to this day...thousands of miles past my date of delivery..my eyes still linger on seeing 2,400 rpm as we cruise along the highway in sixth gear...or 2,700 as we lope along at 75 MPH! Will you get used to seeing that...seeing 41-44 MPG as you do that....will you? I dunno...for I have not been able to get over that yet...and my smile and my eyes...work in tandem, with each ride.... I look at the speedometer...I look at the tachometer...and my face breaks into this big (oh what the heck...)----this big ASS grin.....and my doctor says he can work with me with BOTOX, to get that grin off of my face, before it becomes permanent, on, or off Charlotte...LOL!

That...is my review....that is what riding this bike is like over my last 5 Goldwings....!

Now..to go and pour myself another cup of Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee and just savor the coming holiday weekend, and the ride to Gananoque...the boat cruise, the dinner beside the river....yep...to savor another great 'escape' aboard Charlotte for the two of us....gawd...we love this bike!

Cheers,

Joe (so far, Botox free, but dang...smiling all the time....)! :)

·
Registered
1,963 Posts

My take, anyways....while waiting back to see what the last four digits of this chap's SVTC is. That also will be telling, and if his last four digits are over 0500, then we know that it possibly could be HOW the oil change on this engine is done...and not merely the first 500 production bikes that were re-built for the leaking crank case joining gasket. Personally, I'm really hoping that his serial number comes in at the 600 plus range, for my very own Charlotte is under 0500, and so of course if there is a trend, it will raise my level of concern, and to watch out for any signs (operational noises, not right) myself. So, crossing my fingers that his bike is beyond the first 500, which then will lead to other possible reasons (that I mention) other than the hand-rebuilt series. I'm hoping to read that....but again, so sorry to also read that this fellow and the Chief even HAD this come up. What a bummer. Also, YooperMoose has many thousands of miles on his ride...and some through grueling road and atmospheric conditions...and hasn't reported on this or the other venture forum, any of what is being discussed here. That is also most encouraging that this could be a very minor 'few' out of the thousands produced, OR...this could concern EVERY owner, if the oil change procedure is not faithfully followed EACH and EVERY oil change for the life of the motor.

Post Edit: I am thinking as coffee is flowing through my veins (LOL), that on this particular ride, ...it is in the owner's best interest to ONLY be the one to change out the oil and filter on this ride. Then...you know...you take your time, you do it right...and KNOW that it was done right...oil put back into the crankcase, oil put back into the tank...and the proper way to check the final oil volume in the tank....yep....and if going out on tour, you make sure as the owner, that the oil life, will last the tour mileage...and if not, you change your oil BEFORE you take that extended two week road trip....just so you do NOT have to take it into a shop while upon Tour. That's what I'm going to make my personal SVTC Oil Change M.O.! Yep...yep.....
I wonder about his dealership “thoroughness” as well. My problem didn’t manifest until almost 8,000 miles! A lack of oil after a change would DEFINITELY speed that up!

·
Registered
809 Posts
I wonder about his dealership “thoroughness” as well. My problem didn’t manifest until almost 8,000 miles! A lack of oil after a change would DEFINITELY speed that up!
Oh..8,000 miles...ok...I said for you around 5,000 miles, Tony. I also think something 'went south' on his oil change parameters, that caused his issues as well. Also, that the dealer is so uncooperative...might suggest that they have some sort of 'guilt' in this...and want this to 'go away'....

I hope the O.P responds to you, and gives us his last four digits of his engine serial number...for many inquiring minds wish to know...FOR SURE!

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Oh..8,000 miles...ok...I said for you around 5,000 miles, Tony. I also think something 'went south' on his oil change parameters, that caused his issues as well. Also, that the dealer is so uncooperative...might suggest that they have some sort of 'guilt' in this...and want this to 'go away'....

I hope the O.P responds to you, and gives us his last four digits of his engine serial number...for many inquiring minds wish to know...FOR SURE!
I wrote him directly in my story details so there was no third party dis-information. I’m monitoring for a response and will share when/if I get one.

·
Registered
809 Posts
The O.P of that other thread which would have been the second incidence of EXACTLY the same thing that happened to our Chief...I now believe that it could very well turn out to be a fake, TROLL and fabricated post. Chief asked the O.P. for his last four digits of his 'SVTC' and no reply has been offered. There has been plenty of time since that request was asked of...and so, I think it might be a fake sign-on and plant, to mess with the mind of Don, the owner of the Venture Site, for it came just a day after Don announced to all the V4 clan, that he decided to make the jump and support the V-Twin. The post also sets up in the readers mind, that IF you have any engine repair needed, it could take two or more MONTHS, before parts become available. Does anybody reading this...really think that Yamaha would have not one, two, or three spare parts that could be sent to cover warranty for the freakin' entire bike...let alone one camshaft and one valve, one hydraulic lifter?!? Two months? Bull Manure.... Chief got his bike fixed, inside of a week or two.... This post reeks of trying to scare off anybody else considering purchasing this bike. Reeks of it!

Let's see, if the O.P, of that thread supplies a legitimate last 4 digits of his SVTC engine serial number. Let's see....;) Also that O.P. is a 'new' member... Trial Member, User Gallery....so just fresh baked....

The odds of something like this happening EXACTLY as Chief's did...has me wanting to go out and buy a lottery ticket after rubbing a rabbit's foot.... Just too coincidental, for my take...and just a day after Don announces he has purchased a 2018 Star Venture T.C. Too much coincidence for my Coincidence Alarm to not fire off, with a few 'chirps'....

If my B.S./Coincidence alarm system needs re-aligning, ....then I will happily do so....let's see if a legitimate serial number comes through....

Oh...YooperMoose ALSO asked for the O.P. to post his engine serial number's last 4 digits. That request too, so far, has been totally ignored.....with plenty of time to have had that posted to that Venture Org thread.
One final comment...if one does not in fact truly own an SVTC...and merely posts randomly, four numbers...there is a great chance, a great chance that they will be 'outed' by the actual owner of that engine serial number, whether already visible on that, or this forum, or merely lurking, and I imagine quite a few 'in the closet' owners are lurking and reading these threads, as I type...

Joe

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
The O.P of that other thread which would have been the second incidence of EXACTLY the same thing that happened to our Chief...I now believe that it could very well turn out to be a fake, TROLL and fabricated post. Chief asked the O.P. for his last four digits of his 'SVTC' and no reply has been offered. There has been plenty of time since that request was asked of...and so, I think it might be a fake sign-on and plant, to mess with the mind of Don, the owner of the Venture Site, for it came just a day after Don announced to all the V4 clan, that he decided to make the jump and support the V-Twin. The post also sets up in the readers mind, that IF you have any engine repair needed, it could take two or more MONTHS, before parts become available. Does anybody reading this...really think that Yamaha would have not one, two, or three spare parts that could be sent to cover warranty for the freakin' entire bike...let alone one camshaft and one valve, one hydraulic lifter?!? Two months? Bull Manure.... Chief got his bike fixed, inside of a week or two.... This post reeks of trying to scare off anybody else considering purchasing this bike. Reeks of it!

Let's see, if the O.P, of that thread supplies a legitimate last 4 digits of his SVTC engine serial number. Let's see..../forums/images/smilies/wink.gif Also that O.P. is a 'new' member... Trial Member, User Gallery....so just fresh baked....

The odds of something like this happening EXACTLY as Chief's did...has me wanting to go out and buy a lottery ticket after rubbing a rabbit's foot.... Just too coincidental, for my take...and just a day after Don announces he has purchased a 2018 Star Venture T.C. Too much coincidence for my Coincidence Alarm to not fire off, with a few 'chirps'....

If my B.S./Coincidence alarm system needs re-aligning, ....then I will happily do so....let's see if a legitimate serial number comes through....

Oh...YooperMoose ALSO asked for the O.P. to post his engine serial number's last 4 digits. That request too, so far, has been totally ignored.....with plenty of time to have had that posted to that Venture Org thread.
One final comment...if one does not in fact truly own an SVTC...and merely posts randomly, four numbers...there is a great chance, a great chance that they will be 'outed' by the actual owner of that engine serial number, whether already visible on that, or this forum, or merely lurking, and I imagine quite a few 'in the closet' owners are lurking and reading these threads, as I type...

Joe
Very valid points “Detecive Inspector Joe”! 😁
Just for clarification on MY repair timeline. It took ALMOST 3 weeks. The delay was NOT because there were NO PARTS. The delay was specifically for a SEAL that was not available stateside and was coming directly from Japan. There was ZERO issue getting the cam & lifters. ANY statement to the contrary is a BOLD FACED LIE!
So no we wait for the fake “serial blogger” to be outed further.

I might also add, 3 days of my delay was with MY CONSENT to help the dealership out. They had been SLAMMED with sales and had 25 BIKES they had to prep for delivery. They ASKED ME if they could delay it BEFORE tearing open the engine. They didn’t want to get it opened and then have it sit that way. They wanted to be able to open, repair & close it in ONE smooth event.

UPDATE: I just posted this on the other forum to the OP of that “valve issue”. Let’s see if we get an answer??

“The fact that the OP of this thread has NOT returned to update or offer any info to gain some insight has me thinking “fake serial blogger”. EVERYONE so far has not had an issue openly giving their bike S/N so we can validate a possible range that may be involved. So WHERE is this slighted rider? Why has he not re-engaged? Makes one wonder does it not?
If these bikes were having all kinds of these problems, would there not be a number of people venting their frustration? YOU BETCHA!! Do a search for ANYTHING related to this topic and there is NOTHING. NADA! ZIP! ZILCH!

for those of you who are GENUINE SVTC owners and have given S/N, thank you!”

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Let's see, if the O.P, of that thread supplies a legitimate last 4 digits of his SVTC engine serial number. Let's see....;) Also that O.P. is a 'new' member... Trial Member, User Gallery....so just fresh baked....

Joe
Just for clarification on MY repair timeline. It took ALMOST 3 weeks. The delay was NOT because there were NO PARTS. The delay was specifically for a SEAL that was not available stateside and was coming directly from Japan. There was ZERO issue getting the cam & lifters. ANY statement to the contrary is a BOLD FACED LIE!

I might also add, 3 days of my delay was with MY CONSENT to help the dealership out. They had been SLAMMED with sales and had 25 BIKES they had to prep for delivery. They ASKED ME if they could delay it BEFORE tearing open the engine. They didn’t want to get it opened and then have it sit that way. They wanted to be able to open, repair & close it in ONE smooth event.
Excellent points fella's,,, excellent points!!! There seems to be soooooo much misinformation out there that it can be discouraging to try and work thru it!! Thats why I really like to do my own testing/riding/researching and basically trust no one but my own gut feelings.. Go with the gut I always say (kudo's to you two for doing exactly that here!!!)
That said, I did noticed in reading that post you are referring to that the poser poster (looky,, I made a funny :grin:,,, lame:() did include the supposed part number (2DF-12170-00-00) of the parts that are at issue and stated that the were not available in the US or Canada.
A quick 2 second search of that number did in fact reveal that it was a "good" Yamaha number and it was/is for the Cam assembly for the new bike.. It also revealed this info:

""""Yamaha 2DF-12170-00-00 Camshaft Assembly 1; 2DF121700000
Our Products: Yamaha OEM > Yamaha 2C0-2847S-00-00 to 2GV-28100-00-00
Yamaha 2DF-12170-00-00 Camshaft Assembly 1; 2DF121700000
List Price: $195.84
Price: $135.71
You Save: $60.13 (31%)

Add to the cart

ESTIMATE SHIPPING: Add part to cart then click "Estimate Shipping Charges & Processing Times"
SKU: YAM-2DF-12170-00-00
MPN: 2DF-12170-00-00

This part is currently on back order with an estimated availability date of 10/30/2018 from the manufacturer. You may still order the part, but it will not be shipped until we receive the part. Cancellation Charges will apply if you decide to cancel this part off your order before it ships."""

Found from this well known parts source:
https://www.partspak.com/productcart/pc/Yamaha-2DF-12170-00-00-Camshaft-Assembly-1-2DF121700000-p760548.htm

It is interesting that he, the poser poster,, was at least smart enough to use actual part numbers in his trolling!! Most trolls are not that intelligent in my experience :grin:

·
Registered
1,963 Posts

Let's see, if the O.P, of that thread supplies a legitimate last 4 digits of his SVTC engine serial number. Let's see..../forums/images/smilies/wink.gif Also that O.P. is a 'new' member... Trial Member, User Gallery....so just fresh baked....

Joe

Excellent points fella's,,, excellent points!!! There seems to be soooooo much misinformation out there that it can be discouraging to try and work thru it!! Thats why I really like to do my own testing/riding/researching and basically trust no one but my own gut feelings.. Go with the gut I always say (kudo's to you two for doing exactly that here!!!)
That said, I did noticed in reading that post you are referring to that the poser poster (looky,, I made a funny /forums/images/StarbikeForums_2015/smilies/tango_face_grin.png,,, lame/forums/images/smilies/frown.gif) did include the supposed part number (2DF-12170-00-00) of the parts that are at issue and stated that the were not available in the US or Canada.
A quick 2 second search of that number did in fact reveal that it was a "good" Yamaha number and it was/is for the Cam assembly for the new bike.. It also revealed this info:

""""Yamaha 2DF-12170-00-00 Camshaft Assembly 1; 2DF121700000
Our Products: Yamaha OEM > Yamaha 2C0-2847S-00-00 to 2GV-28100-00-00
Yamaha 2DF-12170-00-00 Camshaft Assembly 1; 2DF121700000
List Price: $195.84
Price: $135.71
You Save: $60.13 (31%)

Add to the cart

ESTIMATE SHIPPING: Add part to cart then click "Estimate Shipping Charges & Processing Times"
SKU: YAM-2DF-12170-00-00
MPN: 2DF-12170-00-00

This part is currently on back order with an estimated availability date of 10/30/2018 from the manufacturer. You may still order the part, but it will not be shipped until we receive the part. Cancellation Charges will apply if you decide to cancel this part off your order before it ships."""

Found from this well known parts source:
https://www.partspak.com/productcart/pc/Yamaha-2DF-12170-00-00-Camshaft-Assembly-1-2DF121700000-p760548.htm

It is interesting that he, the poser poster,, was at least smart enough to use actual part numbers in his trolling!! Most trolls are not that intelligent in my experience /forums/images/StarbikeForums_2015/smilies/tango_face_grin.png
Real part #’s or not, why has he not re-engaged and shared some info? If I were going through that, (AND I DID) I stayed engaged to gain insight AND kept everyone informed of the progress or delays.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts