Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

201 - 220 of 249 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Vstar 950. Candy Red.
1,054 Posts
My other wind therapy. View attachment 95271
what ya got there, MC ? Looks nice.

That our members have not contracted the dreaded virus going around so far.
That is a blessing. May it remain so.

More positive news:
Don't know anyone with the Flu and until very recently didn't know anyone who knew anyone with it. Had a quarterly visit with the doc yesterday. Masks, temperature readings, hand washing. No one admitted without a test and a questionaire. They have not seen a single case nor had to send anyone to ER. None of the staff have been infected. He still tows the company line that it must all be done to avoid overloading the hospitals even though Dallas county and the larger DFW area never hit troubling levels of hospitalization.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Young Sun 35 Cutter. Now in Newport, Oregon.
I had to look it up. A blue water boat. I like it all: canoe stern, bowsprit, and cutter rig, full keel. Looked up Newport, too, since I've heard the Oregon coast was a tough place to sail. How often is it a problem getting out of your channel? I don't have any Pacific coast experience, but I've heard it can get rough at the transition to ocean waves.

Recently sold my Catalina 27 and got another compac 16. I've chartered some boats to sail around the BVI, but generally I'm a lake sailor. Fresh water day sailing.

Congrats on a beautiful boat.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had to look it up. A blue water boat. I like it all: canoe stern, bowsprit, and cutter rig, full keel. Looked up Newport, too, since I've heard the Oregon coast was a tough place to sail. How often is it a problem getting out of your channel? I don't have any Pacific coast experience, but I've heard it can get rough at the transition to ocean waves.

Recently sold my Catalina 27 and got another compac 16. I've chartered some boats to sail around the BVI, but generally I'm a lake sailor. Freshwater day sailing.

Congrats on a beautiful boat.
Thank you graybeard, we like it as well. I had an Ericson 29 for years and in any kind of waves, you were getting pretty wet. So when we decided to get another boat we wanted something sort of classic. The Young Sun design parts the waves very well. At one point going out the straight of Juan de Fuca we got some waves over the bow but putting the bimini up kept us pretty dry.
Newport is a very safe bar to cross but as any bar on this coast, you have to be careful with tides. With a large swell running from the wrong direction it can become uncrossable. Before we go out we watch weather and wave forecasts and make sure we have a good window. We sat out a couple of weekends because the forecast was for 12ft waves and 8 seconds, that can get pretty uncomfortable. We also have a web site for bar reports and conditions that covers the bars from Northern Washington to Southern Oregon.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Thank you graybeard, we like it as well. I had an Ericson 29 for years and in any kind of waves, you were getting pretty wet. So when we decided to get another boat we wanted something sort of classic. The Young Sun design parts the waves very well. At one point going out the straight of Juan de Fuca we got some waves over the bow but putting the bimini up kept us pretty dry.
Newport is a very safe bar to cross but as any bar on this coast, you have to be careful with tides. With a large swell running from the wrong direction it can become uncrossable. Before we go out we watch weather and wave forecasts and make sure we have a good window. We sat out a couple of weekends because the forecast was for 12ft waves and 8 seconds, that can get pretty uncomfortable. We also have a web site for bar reports and conditions that covers the bars from Northern Washington to Southern Oregon.
Way too complicated for me that is why i have a bass boat i can drive in 10" of water

10"? Hold my beer and watch this! :p

View attachment 95438
From experience you won't need to hold his beer. When ice fishing it freezes so it wont spill. But it is a cool ice fishing boat. Or should i say cold.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
The last time I went for a sail, we needed a little more then 6 feet of water , we had a 37 foot draft and I worked 90 feet above the water.........
I worked on the flight deck of the USS Forrestal CV 59 as my last ship
Bet you needed a pretty big truck to launch that puppy!

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
From experience you won't need to hold his beer. When ice fishing it freezes so it wont spill. But it is a cool ice fishing boat. Or should i say cold.
Is this kind of boat a regular thing?
So, you have to have beer warmers?

The last time I went for a sail, we needed a little more then 6 feet of water , we had a 37 foot draft and I worked 90 feet above the water.........
About a 4 story building below the waterline. Engineering marvels.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My friend was on a carrier also. And THANK YOU for your service. I just sail for pleasure.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
It took me a very long time before I would go on a fishing boat that went out of sight of land. My last cruise went 104 days out without seeing land, we had 6 days in port, then back to sea for 101 days without land. Got home and 2 weeks later we transferred to CV 59 and were back at sea till I got out, that is why I got out. They wanted me to re-up and leave in 2 weeks for a 6 month cruise. I was done. 👩‍🍳

·
Registered
206 Posts
I worked with a guy from Oklahoma who joined the Navy to ride the waves and see the world .
He spent 3 years at the Naval air station at Fallon Nevada ! Never saw a drop of water!

201 - 220 of 249 Posts