Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

Post your exhaust's decibel level here

4K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  The Jimbonaut 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok, so there are a bunch of bike-botherers out there, checking DB levels on after market pipes and throwing tickets around like confetti for "noise disturbances" and the like. Ka-phooey.

Thought if bike owners with after market exhausts could post the DB level of their pipes here it would really help people like me that are in the market for a new set, but keen to find out if they fall within the limits of our local constabulary before ponying up the bucks.

There's an app called Decibel 10th (I just downloaded it) that seems to be right on the money. It's free - so go ahead, do a guy a favour and tell us how loud (or quiet, it's all good) your pipes are. Cobra, V&H, Road Burners...slip-ons or full systems...the more info on DB levels, the better.

Ideally 2 readings, one when idling (take the measurement about 50cm away from the muffler, and at a 45 degree angle away from it) and one at, say, 2500 rpm (approx).

Keeping it legit, but barely...

#3 ·
Huh ? I don't have a decibel meter and you didn't wait very long to find out the information.
ALL aftermarket pipes are illegal. They are ALL louder than stock.
The ONLY legal pipe is a stock pipe.
I think that the pipes you bought scrape the pavement pretty easily. You'll find out soon. Enjoy.

JJ

#4 · (Edited)
It's ok John, my suggestion was a general one and only a suggestion, not a demand =)

Re the decibel meter, who the hell does have one anyway?! If you're interested you can download a free one from the app store (if you have a smartphone)

Thanks for the info on the pipes scraping - are they much lower that stock? They don't look it - can't imagine how tight a turn I'd have to make to scuff those things up...

Peace out,

- J

#5 ·
" (if you have a smartphone)" Nope,a dumbphone.

"Thanks for the info on the pipes scraping - are they much lower that stock? They don't look it - can't imagine how tight a turn I'd have to make to scuff those things up..."

Don't know for sure. I scrape my slip on. They look awfully long.
You'll find out.

Enjoy.

JJ

#6 · (Edited)
I had an app for a db meter on my smartphone, and my tablet. Seemed pretty accurate compared to a sound and light guy's professional db meter, at least for music. Trouble was, the app topped out at 94 db. Then I got rid of the smart phone. When the app for the tablet wanted to update itself, it also asked for access to location, files, and photos. A sound level meter doesn't need that, so I uninstalled it. Now I rely on a thirty plus year old Radio Shack (Realistic) meter.

By the way, Jammin' John is correct. According to EPA rules, noise is considered pollution. Anything that raises pollution, even if it still falls below legal limits, is illegal.

#7 ·
Yea,it's amazing how many cruiser riders run illegal exhausts. They are the largest group for changing the pipes.
So we get noise and air pollution.
The reason that the cops don't enforce the law is that THEY ride Harleys with loud pipes. It's that simple.

JJ

#8 ·
There is probably an even more important factor - money. The EPA rules are Federal, and the EPA doesn't have the money or manpower to enforce them. State and local cops are not going to write tickets for Federal rule violations, when they don't get the money for the fines. If there are local laws being violated, the appropriate police agency may write cites for them. Trouble is local laws don't usually cite EPA rules, but other variations like "excessive noise or smoke". A few localities (I am told Denver is one) have come up with rules that essentially say if the pipe isn't properly marked as compliant for the make and model of bike, it is illegal. Bikers claim cars and other motor vehicles are not so constrained (you can get a replacement muffler for your Chevy at Midas) and thus claim discrimination. I seem to remember some cops in California claimed - and got - a "law enforcement exemption" allowing them to run louder pipes on the unproven "loud pipes save lives" theory. The fun never stops.

#9 ·
Yeah, the whole DB level thing as far as the local constabulary is concentred is definitely a bit of a grey area - and certainly one that differs hugely depending on where we are in the world. From what I can tell, here in Quebec they're pretty vigilant.

I think it would be cool if there was some kind of pipe decibel database - not only would it be really helpful but also (if we could post sound clips too) music to our ears =)

Thanks for input one and all,

- J

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.