Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody,
I'm a former Harley guy, but got tired of the b.s. that goes with the brand. The final nail in the coffin was when myself and my spouse tried to do a simple 300 mile ride 2 up that left us beaten, battered and bruised. We've decided to move forward with a metric cruiser we're still on the fence between a nomad and a silverado.

We've thought about a royal star venture, but that level of bike is still outside of our budget even going pre-owned (ceiling is about 6k) I liked the original royal star when it first came out as I can still remember seeing that red/white on the dealership floor when it first arrived. I feel that the road star is the spiritual successor to that original royal star.

My wife and I usually travel within the city limits of Austin with occasional trips to Laredo TX and that's about the limits of it. I do commute to and from work (20 miles at about 70-80 mph) So, this is why we're looking at the silverado trim level. Saddlebags, windshield, passenger backrest, everything I'd usually put on a bike no matter what I get.

So are there any testimonies or things I should know about the road star? I've checked the threads from top to bottom and I've noticed that there's not a lot of info out there as it seems that the vstars/stratoliners seem to be the shining gem right now. I appreciate any help large or small since I'm going completely outside of my milwaukee comfort zone. I'm nervous but optimistic at the same time.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I can share my experience of 'investigating' during a period when I thought I could afford to upsize. I tried my best to research the RoadStar to find out if it had any 'weaknesses'. I didn't find any. Mostly peoples opinions about wanting the larger engine that comes in the Strat. I do know 2 people I see frequently that ride R*'s and when I ask them, they seem very reluctant to part with them. One of them also owns a HD Softtail and he says he finds the R* more comfortable.

I originally went with Yamaha/Star because they had the best track record as far as reliability & manufacture warranty.

Wish I could help you more. Good luck:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As previously stated, when it comes to metrics, I'm not afraid to publicly admit I'm an idiot. ANY information is useful. What got me upset about harley was that the only thing I enjoyed about it was how it looked when it was parked. It handled like crap, wasn't comfortable even with harley's factory touring saddle and compact windshield. My choice is quickly coming down to the roadstar and the nomad but it's starting to seem like six of one or half dozen of the other. I've gone over the prices on the preowned ones hoping that there would be something there that would sway me one way or the other and it's the same ballpark.

I almost wish that I had a built in preference to go with but sadly I don't. It seems to me that it quite literally comes down to personal taste. I don't know if my stature would make a difference but I"m six foot and my wife is five four and combined we come in at right around the four hundred pound mark. What's got me surprised is that as I was going over the technical specs it does seem like the roadstar has way more features than the nomad.

·
Registered
227 Posts
You can't go wrong with either, IMO. I never owned a Nomad, but I did have a 2006 1500 Classic. I now have a 2000 Road Star. Both great bikes.

I guess it comes down to liquid vs air cooled. One has more things that can go wrong with it and the other could potentially overheat easier.

Edit: the Nomad likely has a 2 piece, independently adjustable heel/toe shifter. I do miss that.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
22 Posts
I went from a 2000 Roadstar to Roadliner. I really miss that bike. Went on three 3K plus mile trips and it was great. The Roadliner has more power than I know what do with and maneuvers like dream, but I don't sing "bad to the bone" when I ride it like I did with the RoadStar. I am sure I want another one some day but just dont have room for two bikes yet. So I vote RoadStar even though I researched good things about Kawasaki. Yamaha styling cant be beat imo. Good luck. T

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
38 Posts
Before i bought my bike 4 years ago i researched all the bikes, rode what i could, talked to guys with hondas, kaws, hd, and well it came down to riding or wrenching. Over 21,000 miles later no problem at all, wife loved to ride with me till i bought her a v-star 650 now we are looking to buy another roadstar for her. I will own my 08 roadstar till i can't ride then my son gets it. They might not have all the bells and whistles but damn fine bikes. kroyleahcim

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I shot up to my local dealership and tried on the road star and the nomad. For me at least I have to say that the star wins hands down. I just prefer to sit in the bike rather than on it and while yes, the nomad's seat can be changed, it appears that the star just has that "it" feel.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Asher I thought the Nomad had a higher center of gravity when I was shopping and just a heavier feel in general. I found an '08 Silverado R* and after a test ride knew that this was it. After 4000 miles I can say: Comfortable on long rides, plenty of power with two up smooth shifting ( love the heel-toe ) and more agile than than my 1100 Shadow Spirit, with parking lot drills much easier to execute. That said I do find that scrapping pegs and even the frame on occasion to be a little unnerving. Suspension is adjusted as stiff as possible. My wife and I put about 400 lbs. including gear on the bike, so I may have to upgrade the suspension.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Roadstar

Well I can tell you my experience with the roadstar. In late May I got to looking at my tired old 1991 Suzuki 750, and thought this won't do anymore. I stopped at my fav dealership. They had about 15 used bikes all within my budget. Then I saw the 2010 Roadstar silverado 1700 in white. It was next to an 1100 Vtsar in black, (basically same bike my buddy has).

I was concerned going up from a 750 to a 1700..lol I sat for sometime on both bikes. The Roadstar just felt "like it fit me". I made the deal on the spot and picked it up later that week. it had at the time 2800KM, (1700 miles on it). six weeks later and I now have just about 7500 kms, (4500) miles on it.

Needless to say I am sold that I made the right decision. Only coaxed the partner to get on the back once. She prefers her sport bike.. I prefer comfort..lol.

I am sure you and the wfe would be very happy with a roadstar.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I owned a 99 star til I was rear ended and bike totaled. It had 70,000 mi on it. Then I tried a 03 honda VTX. Did not compare to the star for overall power and comfort.
Just bought a 2012 roadstar in January. Roadstar is the best bike I've owned or ridden. H-D isn't even in the same class. I could afford H-D but I'd rather ride than wrench. Way more bike for the$$ than any other on the market!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts