Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was looking at increasing the power of my vstar 650 classic my ideal goal is more hp better mpg and less strain on the engine especially when cruising.. Any suggestions? My bike came with short even cut pipes I don't know much about them other than it is a dealer option and they stop just short of my rear tire

Sent from Motorcycle.

·
Registered
196 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
I had a shadow 750 and did the same things that 87 recommended above, plus I advanced the timing about 4 degrees. Basically, everything I could do without getting into the motor. It gained some power, but nothing major.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
The only other thing I was thinking was a proper carb sync. And really pay attention to the color on the plug after any mods. Pay attention to different loads, and throttle positions, and really get that jetting nailed down. All of these bikes are lean from factory. My wife's VS800 turned into a totally different bike after just adjusting the A/F screw.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I was under the impression that if you gain power you usually lose some mpgs..... :D

·
Registered
196 Posts
I was under the impression that if you gain power you usually lose some mpgs..... :D
I think that's a common misconception, due to the fact that most guys(including myself) use the gains in power more because its fun. Same with new exhaust or air intake. I wanna hear that sucka roar.

:D

·
Registered
473 Posts
Exactly! With all the crap Ive done to mine Im down from 42-44 bone stock to around maybe mid 30's

·
Registered
473 Posts
I think that's a common misconception, due to the fact that most guys(including myself) use the gains in power more because its fun. Same with new exhaust or air intake. I wanna hear that sucka roar.

:D
Well I will agree there! lol

·
Registered
178 Posts
In theory you can increase efficiency to create more power out of the same amount of fuel. Also more power at lower rpm means the vehicle will reach cruising speed with less throttle application. However the human factor usually kills any mpg gains. Get more power and you want to hit it more. But if you ease off you can actually gain mpg with some modifications.

·
Registered
196 Posts
In theory you can increase efficiency to create more power out of the same amount of fuel. Also more power at lower rpm means the vehicle will reach cruising speed with less throttle application. However the human factor usually kills any mpg gains. Get more power and you want to hit it more. But if you ease off you can actually gain mpg with some modifications.
Well said.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts