Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody had better luck w/ different tires for a v star 1100?
Dunlop d404's were good, but thought about trying something else. The only thing is , the Dunlops tend to wander at low speeds, and follow cracks. Would a diff. tire help? Been looking @ continnentals, or Kenda tires. Anyone tried this to see if it helps?
Thanks, Larry S.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I dont know i like the dunlop myself. Great long lasting wear pattern, handles very well wet or dry, and even handles the dirt and gravel very well.

My last bike was a adventure tourer (suzuki V-Strom) came stock with a tire every one labbled as really poor a bridstone trail wing better known as death wings. So when the time came for tires i "upgraded" to metzlers and was VERY dissapointed. Ended up with highspeed head shake, and very poor gravel road manners. The only thing they did better than the stock bridgstones was handle wet roads very well. After that i will NEVER own another set of metzlers.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
My 1100 vstar came with Bridgestone, I was ready to get rid of the bike, hated the ride, handling,the whole thing. Went to Metzlers, WOW, had a new bike, sticks like glue, smooth as silk, this is just what happened to me, but I will run nothing else on this vstar as long as I have it. They do cost more that a lot of the others,like Avon, also a very good tire. This is just how it went with me. Also, I will not run Bridgestone again if I can help it, on anything.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I have an 06 1100 Vstar silverado with 60k mile. the bike came with Brigestone, next I put on Metzlers. Hated them always felt like I was riding on marbles on wet roads. I live near Seattle and ride year round. Next I put on a set of Dunlops D404 love them. Right know I have on a set of Pirrelies. Not a bad tire but I think I like the Dunlops best.
hope this helps
Doug

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
guess thats why they sell more than one brand and type of tire. I run Dunlop on my 750 and love them, wear very good, ride good, but on my 1100 vstar, Metzler 880 marathon is it for me, in 45 years on the road, never had tires that felt, handled, and are wearing like these, So. Ind.plenty of hills, curves ect, like I said, these are great for here and the riding here. Just depends on what works for each guy,(or girl).

·
Registered
10 Posts
when i bought my 1100 classic, it had d404 on the rear an exedra on the front...
i hadn't owned or riden a bike in 30 plus years, i HATED the ride. then a friend told me to buy a new rear (which was going to be due at the end of the summer anyway), just before i got the new tire, i checked tire pressures, WOW !!! 12 measly pounds in BOTH tires... lesson learned, ANY tires stink under-pressured, and my life was probably in jeopardy, anyways, the only tires recommended (by yamaha) were front and back d404's

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
when i bought my 1100 classic, it had d404 on the rear an exedra on the front...
i hadn't owned or riden a bike in 30 plus years, i HATED the ride. then a friend told me to buy a new rear (which was going to be due at the end of the summer anyway), just before i got the new tire, i checked tire pressures, WOW !!! 12 measly pounds in BOTH tires... lesson learned, ANY tires stink under-pressured, and my life was probably in jeopardy, anyways, the only tires recommended (by yamaha) were front and back d404's
You make a very good point on pressures, my 1100 book says 33 and 36, Ask my shop guy, he said run 40 and 40, I tryed that and the whole ride changed (for the better,much better) Just for the few that don't know, cupping on your front tire is more than likely due to lower than needed pressure. Just a note, do not inflate over what is printed on the tire itself, but I have found up to max works well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
sugar bear 06, i was wondering, what kind of mileage are you getting from the metzelers?? i considered getting those this spring, but i read they dont give the mileage of d404s

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
sugar bear 06, i was wondering, what kind of mileage are you getting from the metzelers?? i considered getting those this spring, but i read they dont give the mileage of d404s
This is my first set of Metz, guess that's why I am so impressed. So far I got maybe 5 grand and don't see much wear. Yes, I too have read the stuff about low mileage, but for my case, I do not see that, they may wear down like a booger real soon now, do not know that. My shop guy was claiming 15 or so, we will see. I do know they have give me the best ride overall I have had on anything. These things I say are true for me and my case, others will not agree. Hope more folks respond.:)

·
Registered
410 Posts
I got 20k out of the Metz 880's I had on my 1100. Thought the tires were great on dry roads. Only problem was that half of my riding is during the rainy season. They don't like the rain, other wise a great tire.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I got 20k out of the Metz 880's I had on my 1100. Thought the tires were great on dry roads. Only problem was that half of my riding is during the rainy season. They don't like the rain, other wise a great tire.
Doug, 20k would tickle me plum pink, I know none of us like wet roads, other than that, you were happy? I like the ride VERY well but never run the Metz till now. Thanks for the input on your experience with these tires.:)

·
Registered
68 Posts
I just swapped out from the factory bridgestones to the metzler 880 tires. I can't compare to other brands but they are far superior to the bridgstones comparing new to new.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I just swapped out from the factory bridgestones to the metzler 880 tires. I can't compare to other brands but they are far superior to the bridgstones comparing new to new.
As an aside tidbit, my brother just put a set of Metz on his 1300 Honda, I measured his tread against mine(with about 10 grand on them in a year) My Metz, I swear, a guy could not tell any wear on mine vs brand new ones:eek: Love these Metz 880, so smooth, ride great and so far, wear outstanding. I will post how long they lasted when I have to replace(may be another year or so, I hope) :D
( My stock, orgninal Bridgestone tires totally sucked, handled BAD, no milage, glad to be rid of them, never again)

·
Registered
211 Posts
I ride the metzeler 880 marathon , 10k now , and they are still OK.
The only down size is the wet weather.Definitively they were not made for rain.On dry roads , they are great , better than the original dunlop.
do you think the metzelers are worse in the rain than the dunlops?
i think the dunlop 404s aren't great in the wet, and i've never used another tire on the 1100.. i keep ordering the dunlops :eek:

·
Registered
40 Posts
I ran metz on my 03 1600 vulcan classic,3 sets for 40,000 miles. The first thing i noticed was the change in handeling,stuck like glue.more important to me was they were oustanding in the rain. Never felt like you were on water ,totally different than stock tires.i now have a 08 stratoliner s with 7000 miles willdefanately be buying m880 marathons. Bob z

1 - 20 of 41 Posts