Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, the manual suggests shifting to 2nd at 20 KmH, 3rd at 30KmH, etc.

That translates to shifts at 12, 19, 25 and 31 MPH for 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th respectively.

These seem awfully low to me. What seems better to me is to use the Kilometers shift points as the MPH shifts. 2nd at 20, 3rd at 30, etc.

Anyone care to comment? Until I get my tach installed (it's on the way), I'm just going by sound and feel. But 5th gear at 30MPH, for example, seems awfully lumpy to me.

KC

·
Registered
491 Posts
Yah, Those seem crazy low.. I would expect the bike to be stumbling on itself at those points.. But, I haven't really gotten to drive mine since I fixed it.. lol

·
Registered
794 Posts
I change purely on engine noise. Sometimes 5th is around 40mph, sometimes around 70mph. Ignore the "suggested" shift points, those numbers are to help the bike "get better mileage and pollute less" or something. Basically a government thing...

·
Registered
491 Posts
I like the way M'Lady thinks! lol I have always shifted when I felt like it was time.. Your body learns the bike and will know. :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
On easy/average acceleration, I generally shift about 12-20-30-40 (mph).
Of course that all changes depending on circumstances as has been stated above. Sometimes I might not hit fourth gear until 70:rolleyes:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts