Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question I'm putting out there; What are you using to preserve those old rubber parts on the bike like brake lines, grommets, and spacers? Armorall? Vaseline? ....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Keith. I've used mink oil on my leathers but didn't even think of putting it on rubber. Have you noticed any swellling of the rubber after application? Does the rubber become more pliable? I'm looking at putting it on some old brake lines (ca 1996) carb boots and shock gators.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I learned from an old car restorer that vasaline is great for rubber and vinyl. He would cover vinyl tops , dash pads and window seals in it. Then sit them in the sun. All it took was a light buff after it soaked in.
I use it on rubber, but don't like it on seats, they are too slick. I use leather conditioner on them and the saddlebags

·
Super Moderator
7,229 Posts
Weezbuns,
With any old rubber it’s going to take a few coats to sink in, but I’ve not found it to make the rubber swell.
I like it because it doesn’t run off or make it slippery like Vaseline.
Vaseline is great in certain applications, but I personally prefer mink oil overall.
I’ve used mink oil for years on my 950, and now on the RoadStar.
I like that it’s easy to apply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
380 Posts
I use mink oil as there’s very little water in it to dry out like ArmorAll can. Also I’ve had good luck with F11. Just my experience though.

Today I learned something. I was wondering what to put on my new 'leather' covered hard bags...mink oil is a great idea.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Weezbuns,
With any old rubber it’s going to take a few coats to sink in, but I’ve not found it to make the rubber swell.
I like it because it doesn’t run off or make it slippery like Vaseline.
Vaseline is great in certain applications, but I personally prefer mink oil overall.
I’ve used mink oil for years on my 950, and now on the RoadStar.
I like that it’s easy to apply.

So I tried it today, following my getting caught in a Colorado Front range downpour. Afterwards a quick clean and rinse to get the road slop off so I thought of you and the mink oil that I've been waiting to try. It goes on rather thick and chunky in a 65 degrees temp but it rubs in easily and buffs up to a soft luster on my Strat leather bags.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts