Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
I don't use synthetic. I use good old fashioned real oil, 10w40.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I don't use synthetic. I use good old fashioned real oil, 10w40.
Been runnin real oil for damn near 50 years, and not one shread of an oil failure of any kind. Super hot topic, each has his own ideas and likes and dislikes. The hype and advertising sways folks, bottom line is money(as always):rolleyes: Ride safe.

·
Banned
1,741 Posts
Hi all, i"ve been looking at numerous forums and threads WRT the price our southern neighbours pay. In my neck of the woods, I pay twice the price :eek: they quote for Amsoil. My question to you is this: What do you pay for your synthetic?
I used to run Rotella 15w40 synthetic in my Goldwing because it was water cooled, the crankcase took a gallon, and a gallon of Rotella syn used to run about $22USD. If I ran over my 3000 mile oil maintenance interval I wasn't terribly concerned, knowing I could push the watercooled flat 6 with the same impunity you can an automobile engine on synthetic.

I run Valvoline 20W50 motorcycle oil in my Stratoliner. As it's an aircooled engine, I always change oil promptly at the 3000 mile interval, even if I have to stop in the middle of the interstate to do it:D. Consequently I seen no reason to run syn; the price of regular motorcycle oil is bad enough ($5 USD/qt) and changing oil/filter regularly provides as much or more protection as running synthetic.

But that's just me.:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I run Amsoil 10-40wt in my 2006 roadstar 1700 and I pay $41.60 a gallon. They claim it lasts 8,000 miles or 1 year before change

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My point exactly. Our neighbours to the south pay half this price. Why are we paying so much for this stuff? I keep on reading that they pay $40 for a gallon where as we pay approx 70 to 80. I just don't get it. This free trade thing must not be working very well.

Next year it's back to dino oil if I can't find better pricing elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
amsoil 20/50 14.00 qt in 1999 the court ruled that an oil that performed like a synthetic could be labeled as a synthetic even if it was not made from group 4 base stocks. so now it's almost impossible to know if an oil is truly synthetic. oil sold in europe as synthetic are the true synthetics they must be made from group 4 base stocks. synthetic brand oils in europe are a different formulation than the same brand sold in the u.s. the labels would would appear to be the same but the europe label would have a different product code number.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I run 5w40 Rosella t full synthetic in literally everything 4 stroke that I own.
03 silverado 4.8
11 Tahoe 5.3
78 cb550k
06 Kx250f
08 v star 1300
00 Suzuki vs800
I buy it at cost from the shop I work for. Somewhere around 24 bucks for a 5 litre jug.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts