Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is about Indian bikes. Today I went to a very large Indian dealer and they had probably 35 new Indians on the showroom floor. The lowest priced new one was $10K and change with no ABS. That is the Scout 60. (60 cubic inch). The highest priced one was a few bucks shy of $38K and was the Roadmaster Elite touring bike. Three years ago I bought a Scout Sixty for $9000 out the door...The bikes are gorgeous and very well made and appointed but the prices are astronomical..

I know Hardly Ablesons are pricy but my gosh, the Indians are out of reach of so many.

I am retired from biking now due to age (83), but until June 2018 I had plenty of them...

Only saying.....

·
Registered
553 Posts
Yes Sir the cost of bikes is skyrocketing! I have a neighbor who almost signed up for one of those 38k Harley's. He thought the better of it but he told me it was close to being a done deal. He told me his signature hand was twitching as he left the dealership. As I am typing this he just rolled past my house on his ol reliable..BTW... Thank you for being part of this forum again.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Being in Canada, we have the high prices but you never get used to them - I started late in life - retired and age 70 - so on a fixed income - could afford to buy and polish a HD or Indian or buy a new V-Star650 and ride to my hearts content - the Star was a no brainer - one of the best bangs for the buck anywhere.

And if I have it right - I'll be able to ride to 100000 miles without any problem - already a third of the way there.

·
Super Moderator
4,608 Posts
Unfortunately with motorcycles being a low production item with a lot of engineering, we asked for a better made bike, they have gotten very expensive. The days of simple bike that required regular maintenance are gone. I remember my late 60s thru 70s bike took consistent maintenance. I always carried some tools with me and never left home with a spark plug or two in my pocket. I still do all the regular maintenance on my bikes including a monthly nut and bolt check. I seldom find anything loose but this habit carried over from years ago. So, are bikes experience, yes, or they considered a luxury item, yes, is the market still supporting the pricing, yes, do I like it, no.

·
Registered
200 Posts
They are all, SVTC included, too rich for my blood and my household income is above the reported average.

But wow, I just went to the Indian site and that FTR 1200 is hot! I rode the 2018 Fat Bob (25K sticker at the local dealer) and it was pretty awesome. I think I'd be ok with the Indian instead...especially considering I am one. LOL....

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ain't no doubt the Indians are very well buiit. Fit and finish are tops in my book....

·
Registered
299 Posts
The “rice” bikes used to be the practical choice...cheap, reliable. The v-twin/touring market seems to have really changed over the last few years. The Hondas and Yamahas are at a Harley price-point with more tech, and the Indians are out-$$$-ing the Harleys.

Makes for a confusing marketplace. I get the strong feeling Yamaha is only VERY reluctantly in the game, after they killed off their cruisers. Still no sign of a USA 2020 Venture/Eluder.

I’m a little surprised I’m starting to see Harley as a practical choice in a new touring bike. I mean, a standard Road Glide (@ MSRP) is cheaper than the Eluder. Assuming the M8 issues are finally resolved in 2020, I’ll consider an HD.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
For touring a Gold Wing is at the opposite end of the market from Harley touring bikes:

perfectly reliable, smooth, quiet, comfortable: fill the tank and ride all day

there is an aspect of touring on a Vtwin that evokes being rugged and hardcore, and for some of us riding a motorbike that is as simple as possible

people that want a dependable comfortable turn-key bike get a Goldwing, and there are a lot of them on the road.

I always remind myself: when Im riding the only thing I can see is my headlight bucket and mirrors. I can not see what the bike looks like while Im riding it, so what do I care what other people see as I ride by?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
+1 on the Goldwing....Back in the 80s, other rice bikes more or less copied the Wing, and they were nice looking bikes too. But none of them survived except down the line as two cylinder ones.

I test rode a few used Wings and did not have the strength or stature to feel comfy except when on the highway...In town and parking lots was a big hassle for me.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Two things tend to keep me away from a 'Wing: 1) I do prefer the low-end torque, sound, and feel of a v-twin and 2) the ergonomics SUCK for a tall guy. Sat on a 2018 and my knees bang in to that fairing edge. Just don't like the upright riding position at all.

I know it's a great machine, though, and a seat could probably cure some of the ergonomic ills. Maybe the good will end up outweighing the bad when it's time to buy a new bike....

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
I haven't ridden a Scout but I did sit on one and it felt good. Very comfortable. The Scout (not the 60) is $14,999 CA. A little pricey but compared to Harleys it seemed reasonable. Then I remember thinking that I needed saddle bags. Add $900. Holy crap! By the time I added a windshield it was pushing $1500! MSRP on a new Road King is $23,999 and it's a lot more bike, plus it comes with the accessories I want. I like the Japanese cruisers but with them fleeing the market I think I'd go HD if I were looking for a new bike.

·
Registered
951 Posts
The prices of brand new bikes in the touring & cruiser bracket is nuts!
I love the look, the feel, & the sound of a vtwin.
So when I'm in the market for a new ride. It will be used. I've seen a few year old HDs with low mileage go for 11k or less @ the end of the riding season. Heck, just the other day. There was a 2013 Road King with a little over 8k on the odometer & they had it advertised for $8,999. Boy was i tempted.

Ride Smart! Ride Often!

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Wow,I'd be tempted too. The best deal I found around here on a Road King was $12,000 for an 09 with 30,000 km (about 19,000 miles). That's about what they seem to be asking for any Road King newer than around 2002, regardless of mileage. Of course "asking" doesn't mean "getting", but that seems to be the trend.

·
Super Moderator
6,084 Posts
Its interesting to me how cruiser prices continue to climb. Even though Yamaha killed off the Vstars, there’s still plenty of good used ones available at reasonable prices. The wife likes the Indian Scout, but as mentioned before by the time you add saddlebags, windshield, etc, you’re in the HD price ranges. If I decide to get a new to me bike, I’ll go with a nice used Vstar or a Honda.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts