Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the egine light is on my VSTAR, ive done plenty of research and all I could find is how to read the code by looking at the light pattern..but so far ive found no way of knowing what the code stands for....im fairly new to Cruiser type motorcycles so bare with me.... after switching on the key and the lights cycle, the check engine blinks 5 times slowly and 8 times fast... does anyone know what the code means??.. some one told me it could be the TPS, others tell me its the bank angle sensor? :confused::confused::confused::confused::eek:

Thank you guys for any help i can get!!:D:D

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
It means that the fuel shut off solenoid on the carb for the front cylinder is inoperable. It's not a big deal. They are there to shut off fuel delivery a few hundred RPM before hitting the rev limiter so you don't flood the catalytic convertor with raw fuel. This only applies if you have the stock exhaust.

I have a solenoid delete kit available to get rid of the solenoids and keep the light off. It runs $25 shipped. If you'd rather just replace the solenoid, I have one of those too.....also $25 shipped. Or...you can just ignore the flashing...

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
If you can remove the tank, you can do it. That's just to get in there to unplug the leads from the solenoids. It just makes it easier.

The solenoids are those ugly things sticking out of the carb bowls on each side with the single wire coming off of them. You simply follow those leads to where they plug into the main harness (about 6" up) and unplug them. Then just plug in the new ones or the leads from the special wiring harness. The kit comes with bowl plugs to replace the solenoids and cleans up the look.

Max Air makes a similar kit too.....at twice the price before shipping costs.

http://www.maxairengineering.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=MAX_CSR

If you have the stock pipe set up...I'd consider sticking to the replacement solenoid if you hit the rev limiter often.

·
Registered
175 Posts
^
And that is why this forum is bad ass......... straight answers with no BS....doesn't matter if you have 6 posts or 600 you still get the respect and help needed.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you can remove the tank, you can do it. That's just to get in there to unplug the leads from the solenoids. It just makes it easier.

The solenoids are those ugly things sticking out of the carb bowls on each side with the single wire coming off of them. You simply follow those leads to where they plug into the main harness (about 6" up) and unplug them. Then just plug in the new ones or the leads from the special wiring harness. The kit comes with bowl plugs to replace the solenoids and cleans up the look.

Max Air makes a similar kit too.....at twice the price before shipping costs.

http://www.maxairengineering.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=MAX_CSR

If you have the stock pipe set up...I'd consider sticking to the replacement solenoid if you hit the rev limiter often.

Awesome!! So If I have aftermarket pipes you recommend gettin the solenoid delete kit?....how can I go about buyin it off of you?...thanks:D

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I'll send you a PM with my PayPal info.....I have some with me right now and could mail it out Thursday at the latest.....USPS Priority.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll send you a PM with my PayPal info.....I have some with me right now and could mail it out Thursday at the latest.....USPS Priority.

SOUNDS GOOD!!!....:D. i will send you the payment this afternoon after work.......the kit will also turn off the check engine light right??:confused:

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
yes it will....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts