Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I took possession of my dad's 09 vstar classic 1100. Only 1500 miles. He let it sit forever, and finally had the tank and carbs replaced/repaired by several different people. It starts, idles and runs beautifully...except under hard acceleration. I suspect it's running lean. Past half throttle, the motor sounds like it wants to accelerate, but just goes flat, surges a little, but stops just short of the fun zone.

Header turned a bit blue after the 3 hour ride home, if that means anything.

I also found this part in the saddle bag (see photo) dont know if the mechanic forgot to put it back on or what. If it IS part of the air cleaning system and was left off, it would explain the lean condition, just not sure where it would go.

I've run some cleaner through the tank, but I'm thinking it's not a carb issue because of how it rides normally.

Idle does seem to hang a bit after blip.

In neutral, when I give it half throttle, the rpms go up and down, as if it was bouncing off the rev limiter (it's not)

Maybe they got the jets mixed up? Should I try the air/fuel mixture screws? If so, where can I find them? Any help would be appreciated. Thx

Attachments

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
7,993 Posts
Past half throttle, the motor sounds like it wants to accelerate, but just goes flat, surges a little, but stops just short of the fun zone.
Main jets clogged, hopefully the Seafoam will help, if not carb rebuild time.

Running lean, not enough fuel.

I also found this part in the saddle bag (see photo) dont know if the mechanic forgot to put it back on or what.
That's your oil filter, someone was probably going to oil change and didn't. Looks old, I would throw away.

In neutral, when I give it half throttle, the rpms go up and down, as if it was bouncing off the rev limiter (it's not)
Carbs need to be synced.

From everything you posted, it appears you have some major fuel system issues. I would recommend carbs rebuild, fuel filter change, check for corrosion in petcock, fuel tank free of rust and crud, sync carbs, replace air filter if not white and change plugs. I know it's a lot to throw at you, but we help a lot of folks with similar stories and this is what it takes at a minimum to get the bike road worthy again. On a side note, check date code on tires, over 5 years old, replace. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
222 Posts
..what Les said..(he really knows his stuff)

Reactions: lesblank

·
Super Moderator
3,617 Posts
Welcome from Atlantic Canada. The 1100 is a great bike and once you follow Les's suggestions and get her running right you'll see many miles of trouble free riding. Love to see a pic of your "new" bike when you have a chance.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Really appreciate the advice. I was hoping you werent going to use the C word. (I've been plagued with carb trouble in the past)

Im hoping this will be the one time in my life that seafoam actually does the trick (i used a different additive, and seafoam was next on my list).

I'm a little more optimistic after today's short ride though...since the fuel treatment, the hanging idle and flat spot felt a bit less pronounced. Maybe it's as simple as mentioned above...clogged main. Gonna start with the simple stuff first.

I didnt hear any mention of the AF screw locations. If they're easy to get to, it would hurt to check them too. How extensive is the disassembly to reach them?

Also, picture attached as someone requested. I think it looks better and more fun to ride now that I took the windscreen off.

Attachments

·
7,993 Posts
Follow this link for PSM adjustments :

Your bike appears to have stock exhaust and intake. PMS adjustment should not need adjusting. But if you are going to rebuild the carbs then definitely remove and clean jet and passages.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
2001 VStar 650 Classic
419 Posts
Congrats, that a nice bike. Yep it's a Silverado, the shield - sitting by the truck, has the Silverado branding.

As you suggested above, give Seafoam a chance to unclog your main jets. The recommended dosage is 1oz per gallon of gas. The 1100 gas tank capacity is 4.6 US gal, if it was my bike I would pour 5 oz on a full tank.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yesterday I took possession of my dad's 09 vstar classic 1100. Only 1500 miles. He let it sit forever, and finally had the tank and carbs replaced/repaired by several different people. It starts, idles and runs beautifully...except under hard acceleration. I suspect it's running lean. Past half throttle, the motor sounds like it wants to accelerate, but just goes flat, surges a little, but stops just short of the fun zone.

I also found this part in the saddle bag (see photo) dont know if the mechanic forgot to put it back on or what. If it IS part of the air cleaning system and was left off, it would explain the lean condition, just not sure where it would go.

I've run some cleaner through the tank, but I'm thinking it's not a carb issue because of how it rides normally.

Maybe they got the jets mixed up? Should I try the air/fuel mixture screws? If so, where can I find them? Any help would be appreciated. Thx
Thats the oil filter

·
Registered
2002 v star custom
106 Posts
Hey Lesblank, I have been digging deep into the archives here and seen a few with internal flaking of fuel line/hoses. With the amount of parts and work he is putting into it, would it be a good idea to just replace all rubber hoses?

Is there vacuum lines on the 650's? I haven't looked that deep into the separate systems yet. If yes, them also??

·
7,993 Posts
Most definitely replace the fuel lines. With age they begin to deteriorate internally. It only takes a few feet and only costs less than $10.

·
Registered
2001 VStar 650 Classic
419 Posts
Is there vacuum lines on the 650's? I haven't looked that deep into the separate systems yet. If yes, them also??
On the 650 the only vacuum line is the one attached to the AIS and to one of the intake manifolds. If the AIS has been removed from the bike, vacuum lines are non-existent. To answer your question, the vacuum line should be replaced if it looks cracked / deteriorated .

·
Registered
2002 v star custom
106 Posts
Ok, so my 2002 650 does not have a vacuum line.

My post was intended as a "as long as you are there, do this also" question about the rubber tubing replacement.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update: I put half a can of seafoam in the mast tank, and while it's not solved, there is some improvement. For sure. Still has flat spot above half throttle, but not as bad and occasionally, itll power through the bog-down and accelerate as it should. (At relaxed riding, youd never know there was an issue)

After today's ride, I saw that the petcock area was damp with gas at the 2 spots I'm pointing to are the hose and the fitting just below the reserve dial (see photo)

Does this give me a clue about the lean condition? If this was your bike, what would you do with the petcock (if anything)? What does this tell me?

Attachments

·
7,993 Posts
I would replace the petcock. It's cheap and easy. Also replace the fuel line, they get dry and crack with age. Just go to any auto parts store with a piece of the old fuel line and ask to match it. Get three feet and replace all. The petcock I've used many times before without an issue, I bought from Amazon. If you have not replaced the fuel filter, I would do that at the same time.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Replacing the petcock there is a screen in there as well. I would run seafoam in it again it won't hurt.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts