Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I ordered the new petcock and fuel filter. Is it a vacuum petcock? Given that mine seems to be leaking, (aee photo in previous post) could ot be that it's inhaling more air, causing the lean condition?

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
7,990 Posts
I ordered the new petcock and fuel filter. Is it a vacuum petcock? Given that mine seems to be leaking, (aee photo in previous post) could ot be that it's inhaling more air, causing the lean condition?
No vacuum, just a simple off/on/reserve.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I may have found the cause. New petcock arrives today. The old one looks like it's missing reserve spout and mesh screens. Plus, look at the condition of the fuel filter (now changed). It was installed backwards, missing a hose clamp and completely clogged with sediment. The bike only has 1800 miles on it. Whoever my dad hired to work on it sucked.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
7,990 Posts
Good catch. Bad part is carbs probably have same gunk in them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Good catch. Bad part is carbs probably have same gunk in them.

I was thinking the same thing. Very likely. I'm hoping the majority of problem lies with these 2 issues. The carbs were supposedly cleaned at 1600 miles. Obviously the filter wasnt.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
A couple shots of Seafoam and you will be good! Maybe for a couple of tanks. Good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
UPDATE: much better now. Still a little flat above 3/4 throttle, but I'm hoping seafoam will get me the last 10% there.

Should I change the gear oil? Bike is 11 years old with 1800 miles...does the gear oil deteriorate with time, or just use?

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Let us know how she runs now...........

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
A little bit of gear oil in the differential is cheap and as the old saying goes , better safe then sorry. I would also take the 4 bolt cone on the drive shaft loose and check the coupler that couples the drive shaft to the differential.It should be greased liberally.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts