Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a yamaha v-star 1100 saturday from a local dealership. Put 100 miles on it that day, no problems beside low fuel light would come on periodically. Then sunday morning i could not get it to start, thought it might be a weak battery. So i jumped it off and got it started. Then today it did the same thing and i know the battery is charged. A side note after i purchased the i was talking to a mechanic in the shop and he told me the 1100's have a bad problem with the starter clutch. The more i look into it i think this could be the problem.
Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
V-Stars don't have a low fuel light. They have a low oil light. Is it turning over or just clicking? Need a little more info. Another bad spot on these bikes is the frame ground. Where the black wire from the battery attaches to the frame comes loose. Lots of starter problems here.
Starter clutch you just hear the starter spin but get no engine turning.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Without knowing for sure what the symptoms are...my first guess is either the ground like mentioned above....or your battery is toast.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help so far. The starter spins and all lights work but the engine is seems to not want to turn over. However once I can get it started and let run for a while, then turn it off it fires up. Just not sure if the battery or what. Thanks for all the info. I'm a newbie and don't know much.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Electric motor(starter) spinning and engine not turning over at all = Starter Clutch. Won't make a difference if you try to jump start.

Engine turning over slow = Battery or Connections. Jump starting may or may not help. Measure Battery voltage bike off at battery terminals, not bolts but battery terminals. Compare to voltage at Battery when you try to get starter to turn over. Drop of more than 2+ volts replace Battery. Minimal drop check connections.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts