Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about putting in a progressive rear spring. I put Cobra Speedster Longs on my bike and now they tend to bottom out if I am going around a right hand turn with a passenger on and we hit a good bump. Already have the stock spring two clicks down from full so I think my only choice is a progressive one.
Anyone have any recommendations on them?
And did anyone do the install themselves?
did it make much deference in the ride?
Then Bike is a 2002 1100 custom
Thanks

·
Registered
45 Posts
I don't know if I can offer much help, but I just installed a progressive spring onto my 650 as part of a larger build. I haven't finished rebuilding the bike so I haven't test rode it yet. I got the shock with a lowering kit from pacificcoaststar.com. What I can say it is a bear to change out the eyelet on the top of the original shock. I had to cut mine off after a couple of hours trying everything else. And even then it was reluctant. After that, it was a breeze to put in, provided you have motorcycle spring clamps. I used auto to get the original off, but needed smaller cycle clamps to get new spring on.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Are you referring to the entire set-up or just adding a progressive spring to the stock shock? From what I have heard others say (no personal experience) the swap to progressive was one of the best mods they had done to the bike.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
If your bike has about 20,000 or more...it's time to replace the shock. A spring is a band aid that may get you by for a short time, but you'll have to live a worn out shock (some things a spring can't fix).

Put a Progressive 465 shock on it and you'll see what you've been missing. It's one of the best things I ever did to mine.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I agree with Sick Mick. If the shock is gone then a spring is a band-aid, especially if the bushings are worn. The spring swap is not that hard if you're careful. The eyelet swap was a bear but not necessary unless you're lowering the bike.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts