Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought my bike and it came with some really nice leather bags. Only issue is that they are sagging without anything in them as you can see in the pics. I guess you could say the outsides cave into itself. Is there something I can put in the bags to help keep their shape without stuffing pillows into them? lol. That would kind of defeat the purpose if I ever was on a ride and picked something up.

Just curious as I don't even know what to search for!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Those look like the same ones I have. The PO made a frame from square 1/2" aluminum to keep it from doing that. He must've spent some time bending it to fit. I've never had an issue with them caving in and it doesn't really interfere with storage capacity.

·
Super Moderator
4,621 Posts
Years ago I took some Plexiglas and cut to fit the top of similar bags. I used a touch to slightly heat the Plexiglas in order to get the correct shape. I then used contact cement to glue on inside of lid. It was a lot of trial and error but Plexiglas is cheap. It actually worked pretty good. Which I had taken pictures but didn't. Here is a similar idea that is being sold but not for Yamaha bags. For less than $20 you could buy some Plexiglas and small propane touch to try.

2000-2005 Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic Saddlebag Inserts - Leather Lid Inserts

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I thought of that after I posted what the PO did with mine. Get some sheet plastic and cut to fit - much easier solution.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
that what you must do, do it quickly
or run the risk of your bike being called "ole SaggyBaggy"

Engineers always have a plan B

Cheapest solution: goto the dollar store and get two of those Mylar party balloons, They will last about a month. $2

Get one that says Happy Birthday, and one that says "Happy Anniversary" and you will always be ready for anything.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
BTW, noticed from looking at the photos, and where the holes are punched on the straps: the bags appear to be designed to have the covers pull down that far.

The bags have not collapsed, they look to be designed that way.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Here's what mine look like closed. I use the last hole in the strap unless I make a stop at the grocery store and have to stuff them:

On the inside he used flat aluminum, not square as I said previously. Not sure if you can see these pics but I tried. It's like a small basket frame. This is the inner wall:

And the outer part:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's what mine look like closed. I use the last hole in the strap unless I make a stop at the grocery store and have to stuff them:

On the inside he used flat aluminum, not square as I said previously. Not sure if you can see these pics but I tried. It's like a small basket frame. This is the inner wall:

And the outer part:

Thanks! What brand are they? That's exactly what mine are!

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
No idea. They were on the bike when I got it and I haven't seen any brand name on them.

·
Super Moderator
4,621 Posts
No idea. They were on the bike when I got it and I haven't seen any brand name on them.
They are OEM. Same ones that came on mine. Threw them away a few years ago. They just wore out.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Not to be a stick in the mud...but the Wifey saw this topic and threatened me to not mention her...so I am not...

she wasn't too happy with "propping up saggy...."

T

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'm sure she already has a vast collection of items for that even if it's not at all needed, also used to entice possibly.(if someone complains about such gravitational problems, feel free to inform them that there are more ways to play, assuming they would be receptive)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts