Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I am a new rider. Well, seriously new as in, I'm going to take a class soon to learn the ropes. I am set on getting a V Star. I love the looks and options to customize (and the price). However, I need some advice from some experienced riders. I am not a small guy at 6 foot 280lbs so I am curious about which I go with. I was looking hard at 650s but I am now thinking that it may not be enough bike and if it is, it wont be for long. Should I go with an 1100? Is this a terrible bike for me to learn on? I'd appreciate any advice you all can give.

Thanks

·
Registered
203 Posts
Personally i say go sit on a few bikes to get the feel of what you are most comfortable on. Not sure exactly what ur looking for but the vstar 950 is out there also. I like yamaha personally and love my 650. I'm 5'8" about 220 ish and I'm comfortable. Only thing I've done comfort wise is add a set of kuryakyn mini boards in place of the stock pegs. I regularly run at 70 for about a 30 minute ride to work. Haven't ridden an 1100 but I've heard they're a bit tame for an 1100. Piece of advise, while you may not want a big cruiser to handle for a first bike it will be harder to learn on a bike that you're not comfortable on. You can always spend a couple weekends in an empty parking lot somewhere to get acquainted with the bike.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good advice. Thanks. I sat on a few the other day and quickly ruled out a couple suzukis, the Bolt and Raider but they didn't have an 1100. I will keep trying them out though until I find the right fit.

·
Super Moderator
6,414 Posts
Hi Kevin, welcome to the forum.
07 gave you some great advice. I'm 5' 11" and weigh around 215lbs. My 950 tourer fits me fine. Nimble enough for around town trips, and comfortable on long trips. I've added some extra performance upgrades and with the Mustang seat, it's quite comfortable. As 07 suggested, go sit on several models and find one that fits your needs. Keep us updated on what you decide on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
103 Posts
Welcome Kevin,

I have an 08 1100 Classic and it's my first bike. I agree that sitting on several is a great idea. Of course I didn't do that but I feel that it fits me really well. I'm 6'1" and 217 lbs. I will have owned it a year next month and I love it. Never thought about it being 'tame' but it's plenty for me. Only thing I recently added is a set of Cobra Speedster Slashdown Exhaust. Much better than original stock. Plus I know they can hear me now. It's a great bike I think you would like it too. Good luck.

mke

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Welcome Kevin, from southwestern PA. I'm 5'4", 135 lbs., and I ride an 1100. Absolutely luv the bike, even though it makes me stretch for bars, which I am going to change to make more comfortable for me. It hauls me and the ole lady around with no sweat. But with your size, even the 1100 might feel a little tight without some mods to the controls. So I'm with the other guys in sayin that you should probly sit on a few before making any decisions. And like 07 said, just spend some time practicing till you get comfortable if ya get a bigger bike. That's what I did, as I hadn't ridden in like 24 years and the last bike was a CB750 Honda. So was a pretty big adjustment. But I feel like I can throw it around, put it anywhere I want it now. While it's moving. Pretty heavy for me to push around though. Just some things to consider. Good luck in yer decision.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Also 6 foot, and just a bit over 280. After taking the class, the 1100 was and still is my first bike. I did not find it too big, but I spent a long time riding backroads and two lane (one each way with a double yellow) roadways around central CT. Been riding for almost 6 years and have about 35K miles "in the seat".

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Hi everyone,

I am a new rider. Well, seriously new as in, I'm going to take a class soon to learn the ropes. I am set on getting a V Star. I love the looks and options to customize (and the price). However, I need some advice from some experienced riders. I am not a small guy at 6 foot 280lbs so I am curious about which I go with. I was looking hard at 650s but I am now thinking that it may not be enough bike and if it is, it wont be for long. Should I go with an 1100? Is this a terrible bike for me to learn on? I'd appreciate any advice you all can give.

Thanks
at 280 you'll out grow a 650 or 1100 in a couple months. id be thinking 950 or 1300 believe it or not the 950 pulls better than the 1100 it's a longer stroke engine

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Also 6 foot, and just a bit over 280. After taking the class, the 1100 was and still is my first bike. I did not find it too big, but I spent a long time riding backroads and two lane (one each way with a double yellow) roadways around central CT. Been riding for almost 6 years and have about 35K miles "in the seat".
i'm from ct, northford area

·
Registered
90 Posts
Kevin, welcome from Waldorf MD. I'm 5'9" and 250 and my 950 carries me with NO issues. I started on a 650, but once I rode the 950 for a few days I realized I could have started with it because it's ergonomics are similar to the 650 but with more power and it's fuel injected. I really like having a bike that's FI, so if you live anywhere that's cold it's nice to start your bike and not have to wait for it to warm up before you can ride. At your size the 1300 Tourer or 1300 Deluxe may be worth checking out if your budget is able to go there. Whatever you get post the pics and let us know!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts