Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I mentioned in my New Member Post, I plan on starting a bobber project using a VStar cruiser. After a lot of searching, I believe the VStar presents the best platform for bobber, especially for a new custom builder such as myself.

I have a few questions before I actually purchase a used VStar locally.

1) Are there any models or years that had intrinsic problems? Some I should avoid starting out?

2) I've seen a lot of bobbers made using the VStar but they all share a common design element which in many bobbers seem to avoid.

I understand that the space under the seat pan contains the soft tail shock. (I personally think it's a cool look and should be exposed and not covered.) But what else is below the seat and behind the engine?

Why isn't this area opened up on VStar bobbers like many bobber projects do? What's there? Battery?

Anyone have any pix of this area with the "covers" removed?

I appreciate your help. TIA!

Dan

·
Registered
10 Posts
lots of stuff.

under the seat where the softail shock is located is also the battery and some electronics. if you wanted to open that up I would relocate the electronics.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
under the seat where the softail shock is located is also the battery and some electronics. if you wanted to open that up I would relocate the electronics.
Thanks. I plan on a Li-Ion battery replacement tucked some place out of the way and I'll hide whatever is there someplace. That's the plan anyway.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi, everyone. It's me. I'm back. Sorry for the delay. I had a bunch of things to do first:

1) I retired (again) for hopefully the last time.
2) I went on a road trip (triple upgrade at the auto rental got me into a new Dodge Charger!)
3) Wired up my son's dirt bike with lights (another long story that's not done yet)
4) Cleaned up my 2006 Ural sidecar motorcycle and got it on Craigslist and....
5) Acquired in trade a 2000 Yamaha ROAD STAR 1600 to start my bobber project

You can see the baseline bike here.

I just drove it home today. I'll post some more in a new thread later. Thanks for watching.

·
Registered
570 Posts
The 650s have the shock right below the seat.

Oops - missed the update post

·
Registered
458 Posts
Thanks. I plan on a Li-Ion battery replacement tucked some place out of the way and I'll hide whatever is there someplace. That's the plan anyway.
Good luck on that one. The frame is rather tight around the motor in fact they built most of them so part of the frame actually comes off to remove the motor.

The easiest one to build is a 650 as you don't have to hack the subframe off to simply get a bobber look. But an 1100 as a lot more go for the fun of it. My next one is probably going to be a 1300 with a springer front end on it and a hard tailed rear. This way I can actually move the battery and everything else I don't like on the bike.

Everything that keeps the bike running is typically under the seat pan battery, fuel pump, fuel management fuse blocks and wire bundles.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts