Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience with protective films for paint like 3m, etc? I'm looking to put something under my new Mustang seat as well as where my saddle bags go over the rear as a means of keeping them from rubbing away at the paint over time.

·
Super Moderator
4,509 Posts
I've used the 3m stuff before on rear quarter panels on drag cars to keep rubber off paint. It worked pretty good. Don't know how it would do for protecting paint from scuffing. But sounds like a good idea.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
3M part # 84906 is a 6 in by 84 in protective film. I think it would work for your application it's quite a few mils thick and is when properly applied is almost invisible.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have used clear contact paper with good results. It is cheep and protects the paint and the adhesive is not too aggressive so it is easy to remove. However it is a satin finish so it is not invisible tho from 10 feet away, you can't see it.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
I used some of the 3M clear film on my C50 Boulevard (Suzuki) and it worked great at eliminating scuffing of the paint from my seat and saddlebags. Unfortunately my V Star 1300 has over 30K miles on it and the wear is too far advanced to use the film now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts