Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So now that my Flickr account is letting me post to it again I thought I'd upload the riser installation we did on my roadstar.

Original risers/protect my purple :)

[/url] DSC_0139 by Alfie 23, on Flickr[/IMG]

First you pop the little covers on the risers and unscrew them.

[/url] DSC_0141 by Alfie 23, on Flickr[/IMG]

Then unscrew the nut holding the original risers in.

[/url] DSC_0143 by Alfie 23, on Flickr[/IMG]

Here's one of the new ones side by side with the old ones:

[/url] DSC_0146 by Alfie 23, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url] DSC_0147 by Alfie 23, on Flickr[/IMG]

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So the new risers go on top with the bolt coming from the bottom - slightly different installation:

[/url] DSC_0149 by Alfie 23, on Flickr[/IMG]

Side by side comparisons of the hardware:

[/url] DSC_0151 by Alfie 23, on Flickr[/IMG]

Both risers on :

[/url] DSC_0152 by Alfie 23, on Flickr[/IMG]

Now add bars:
[/url] DSC_0155 by Alfie 23, on Flickr[/IMG]

Now if only we had thought to take before and after pics of me seated properly.

New seat pics coming soon to a thread near you!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've been looking at getting risers but I'm generally skeptical of goods that are significantly cheaper than on other sites and without any reviews. What do you think of their quality? I'd love to pick up a set of these for $30 as opposed to the barrons which are $130.

·
Registered
237 Posts
phantomdw2,I'm on the 3rd summer an there holding up good.Iused a lock washer an a flat washer on the bottom of the bolt.Igot the 3-1/2 pullbacks.I got mine from ebay for $30.There the same as Annie.I had to get a longer break line,the rest of the lines is long enought.Thats on a 1100.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
phantomdw2,I'm on the 3rd summer an there holding up good.Iused a lock washer an a flat washer on the bottom of the bolt.Igot the 3-1/2 pullbacks.I got mine from ebay for $30.There the same as Annie.I had to get a longer break line,the rest of the lines is long enought.Thats on a 1100.
Great. Very glad to hear they hold up. I just bought a set for myself. What type (if any) of lock-tite did you use on the bolts?

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't use Locktite. I did have to buy the bolts and washers myself - you need the 3 1/2 inch bolts and I found using two washers on each side kept the squared bottom off the round portion of the fork top - I didn't want to do any scratching there.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I didn't use Locktite. I did have to buy the bolts and washers myself - you need the 3 1/2 inch bolts and I found using two washers on each side kept the squared bottom off the round portion of the fork top - I didn't want to do any scratching there.
Very glad you said something, didn't realize the kit didn't come with those bolts. Did you just buy yours at the local hardware store? What size did you have to buy?

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes - just took a riser down to the hardware store and looked for stainless bolts. If you look at the top pictures in the second post you'll see pictures of the bolts - I bought I think the 3.0 and 3.5 inch bolts because I wasn't sure what I needed. The longer ones worked better and I returned the others. Then I found the second washer made them "sit" nicer - you can see that the bottom of the riser is square unlike the originals where the bottom is round. Again, I just bought standard washers in stainless steel and guessed from the bolt size.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Looks like a nice comfy ride.... You mentioned you purchased a longer brake line. I looking to do the same. Can you tell me where you got the brake line and a rough cost? Thanks

·
Registered
237 Posts
Looks like a nice comfy ride.... You mentioned you purchased a longer brake line. I looking to do the same. Can you tell me where you got the brake line and a rough cost? Thanks
I got the upper break line from Rennsport auto parts.I think it cost $35.You can email them or callem .There make it for you.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My new risers (just like Annie's) should be here today. I just need to grab the right bolts and I'll be on my way to a ride that is just that much more comfortable.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I just picked up a set of the 3.5" in ones just like these. Nice to see an install on these.

Just 2 questions

Did you guys need 3" or 3.5" bolts

And

Do absolutely have to get a new brake line? I didn't know and was trying to keep this a cheap mod. I only paid $28 for the risers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts