Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first chance to pull my trailer with th SVTC. It pulled it very well, you'd forget it's back there. I'll be taking the trailer to get it wrapped or painted in the next week. I went for a lazy 130 mile ride with the trailer. Here in Florida at sea level I struggle to hit 40 mpg on a long ride. Happy with the mpg pulling a trailer. It's obvious the engine does not struggle with the load and braking is good too. It pulls as good as my 08 Wing did.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
My first chance to pull my trailer with th SVTC. It pulled it very well, you'd forget it's back there. I'll be taking the trailer to get it wrapped or painted in the next week. I went for a lazy 130 mile ride with the trailer. Here in Florida at sea level I struggle to hit 40 mpg on a long ride. Happy with the mpg pulling a trailer. It's obvious the engine does not struggle with the load and braking is good too. It pulls as good as my 08 Wing did.
That’s really pretty! Is that a Champion or a Hannigan??

·
Super Moderator
6,088 Posts
Once you get it painted/wrapped, please post a pic. Glad it worked well for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Made the same trip today without the trailer. 15 degrees colder and a slight wind was the main difference.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
It's an 08 Hannigan.
Once you get it painted/wrapped, please post a pic. Glad it worked well for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well Bucfan11, you “inspired” me.
I took a 532 mile trip today to secure a Hannigan Europa trailer in EXCELLENT condition. It even has brakes installed on it!
I don’t have my trailer hitch installed yet, so I’ll go back in a couple weeks and pick it up. They were kind enough to hold it for me!
The color is so close I don’t need to worry about “color matching”. At least not right away.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You will be well pleased. I have pulled mine behind my Wing for 50,000 miles. Trailer quality is fantastic though there is a design issue. The weather seal for the lid is mounted on the trailer instead of the lid so everytime you load up the trailer you have to be very careful not to drag luggage across the opening and damage the seal, other than that it is a great trailer. Color looks great too! I'm not sure if those are a 4 or 5 wire light system but if they are 4 you'll need a 5 to 4 converter...I have one you can have if needed. It works with Electrical Connections plug and play harness.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I took a 532 mile trip today to secure a Hannigan Europa trailer in EXCELLENT condition. It even has brakes installed on it!
I don’t have my trailer hitch installed yet, so I’ll go back in a couple weeks and pick it up. They were kind enough to hold it for me!
The color is so close I don’t need to worry about “color matching”. At least not right away.
That is absolutely AWESOME!!!
All this chatter about trailer pulling has got me wondering something. Are the motorcycle manufactures ok with adding on a hitch and pulling a trailer as far as warranty coverage goes? Also, I have never pulled a trailer but my wife, kids and I came upon a car/motorcycle accident out near the North Rim of the Grand Canyon a couple years back. A guy totalled his Gold Wing when a car pulled in front of him. The trailer the guy on the Wing was pulling actually pushed the bike into the car in sort of a sideways slam. We stopped to see if we could help and over heard the officer questioning whether or not the trailer had brakes on it. I dont think the trailer in question did have them and that definitely added to the injuries/damages sustained. It sure seems like
the trailer set up with brakes would DEFINITELY be the way to go in an emergency stop Mr. Chief - that is one gorgeous set up you have going!!

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All this chatter about trailer pulling has got me wondering something. Are the motorcycle manufactures ok with adding on a hitch and pulling a trailer as far as warranty coverage goes? Also, I have never pulled a trailer but my wife, kids and I came upon a car/motorcycle accident out near the North Rim of the Grand Canyon a couple years back. A guy totalled his Gold Wing when a car pulled in front of him. The trailer the guy on the Wing was pulling actually pushed the bike into the car in sort of a sideways slam. We stopped to see if we could help and over heard the officer questioning whether or not the trailer had brakes on it. I dont think the trailer in question did have them and that definitely added to the injuries/damages sustained. It sure seems like
the trailer set up with brakes would DEFINITELY be the way to go in an emergency stop Mr. Chief - that is one gorgeous set up you have going!!
None recommend pulling trailers except the Spyder, just as none recommend trikes except for the OEM Harley.

·
Registered
126 Posts
None recommend pulling trailers except the Spyder, just as none recommend trikes except for the OEM Harley.
Does that constitute a voided warranty or is it just something that is not recommended,, like I am sure that most manufacturers probably do not recommend riding without a helmet.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Thanks Lonestar! We’re pretty excited about it too. The trailer only has 1k miles towed on it. Owned (honestly) by an 87 y/o guy and towed by his Goldwing but he’s getting too unstable to ride.
It’s worth twice what I paid, so I had to jump at it. The color is so close I don’t think I need to have it painted to match.

Regarding the accident you mentioned: many years ago we had an accident towing that two factors were the cause or should I say could’ve prevented the accident.
1. The old bike didn’t have ABS, the SVTC has front & rear coordinated ABS.
2. The trailer didn’t have brakes to help in stopping the load. THIS trailer DOES have them.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Does that constitute a voided warranty or is it just something that is not recommended,, like I am sure that most manufacturers probably do not recommend riding without a helmet.
No, it does not void a warranty. The manufacturers of bikes (especially touring or full dress) KNOW that MANY people set them up for towing and TRUE touring. They just do that so that there is ZERO liability on their part.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I suppose if they could prove towing a traler caused the failure but I know/heard of no one that has had a warranty denied.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
I suppose if they could prove towing a traler caused the failure but I know/heard of no one that has had a warranty denied.
I’ve been riding since 1985 and I’ve NEVER heard of anyone having a warranty voided in any way due to a touring/towing set up.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
It's an 08 Hannigan.
Hey Bucfan11, is yours the Europa II? Or what model?
Also, my 04 has incandescent bulbs so I’m going to convert them all into LED.
The current wiring harness on the trailer is a 5pin. That shouldn’t require a 5 to 4 adapter, so I should be ok.
On a side note: my REAR VIEW CAMERA arrived the other day. 😁

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mone is the Sierra...I believe. There is a plate underneath it that has all of the info but it has been so long I forgot. It looks like yours except I have the GL1800 tail lights. I too converted mine to LED.

What rear view camera? I am assuming Yamaha has not released an OEM one yet?

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Mone is the Sierra...I believe. There is a plate underneath it that has all of the info but it has been so long I forgot. It looks like yours except I have the GL1800 tail lights. I too converted mine to LED.

No they have not, but as an engineer myself I got tired of waiting on them.
I’ll fill you in more later.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts

So you have 27 cu.ft.? The Europa, Europa II and the LT all have 23 cu.ft.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts