Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to put a bike on CL and have a couple of questions. What restrictions should I place on a potential buyer (pb) who wants to test drive the bike, assuming he has a valid mc endorsement? Should I make up a release form for the pb to sign in case he has an accident and causes property damage to a third party or injures himself or another party? Yes, I probably worry too much, but I do live in a litigious state. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
No road test unless he or she is a serious buyer with money in his or her pocket.Just my thought. Then again it depends on what kind of bike your selling.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
When I bought my ride the former owner gave me a test ride (he drove) and then he gave me permission to ride in his neibourhood. But in retrospect, he told me that that, the second part, was a bad idea since he didn't ask me for my insurance or driver card.

Do the CYA first, you never know.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Before buyer, potential or other wise, NO-JOYRIDES, no $cash$ from them in your hand no ride. If they like it they can buy it, if they don't you can give the money back and they can keep looking for a bike they like.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Never sold one myself, but i've heard of guys asking the test rider to fill out a check and hand it over before the ride.......

·
Registered
251 Posts
Tough call.

On one side, I wouldn't hand thousands to a total stranger in order to take a test drive even if I had witnesses to the event. On the other side, how are you going to know if the Financial Responsibility Card you've been shown is for insurance that hasn't been canceled? A new rider or someone between bikes probably isn't going to have MC insurance. I'm pretty sure that my auto insurance doesn't cover me what-so-ever on my, or anyone else's, bike. I believe it' got to be separate. Furthermore, how are you going to know if the insurance is minimum liability or liability and collision? If the rider is under-insured for any damage or personal injury to themselves and/or to others, There's a possibility that you'd end up being responsible for the deficit amount that your combined insurances wouldn't cover.

I think you're going to find that a lot of your pb's are not going to even have current liability, almost none are going to be willing to hand you the purchase price in cash, and very few are going to be willing to write you a large check to hold prior to the deal's close.

I didn't even ask to test drive my 650. I saw it's condition, the odometer reading, heard it run, and handed the owner a check. I was the first one to look at it, and I could actually feel the owner(s)' apprehension on the issue hanging in the air. I'm a dead-on judge of character, and I didn't need a test drive. It was a "you had to be there" situation.

Thinking back, having driven nothing but a Honda CM250 Custom in 33 years, I didn't want to drive the much larger bike until I could get it on my country road at a time of day when the road would be empty. There are a few of us that have that sense of responsibility, but don't expect it from all of your pbs.

In fact, when I sold the Honda CM250 two weeks later, I knew the guy who wanted it. However, he'd just passed his test, so I went out behind him on the 650. Going out a mile or two was fine. Coming back, I watched the guy run away from me, reaching 55+ mph on our country road that was still damp from the previous day's rain. I maintained 40 mph and was not pleased. I just shook my head, he kept it upright, and I guess everything worked out.

My advice is to choose the biggest empty parking area you can find and offer it or nothing. Ask for proof of insurance even in the parking area, but don't expect many to have it. You can also ask for the purchase price, but be prepared to hold a much smaller depo against potential damage. Most of all, make your terms crystal clear when setting up appointments. I'm looking at it this way: If the pb wants to open that particular model up and go through all the gears, there's got to be a dealer somewhere with the same or similar model. Dealers are usually well insured. I had a very small business and it was surprisingly inexpensive to carry a million-dollar liability policy.

Way back when the Gold Wing first came out, I, a long-haired leaping gnome at the time, was in the next town, on foot, with a couple of hours to kill. I decided to spend some of that time daydreaming at the Honda dealer. Salesman comes up behind me and the brand new Gold Wing and says, "Want to take her for a ride?" "Uh...sure." Didn't even take my ID. Moments later, way down the four-lane... I would have sworn I was going 50, looked down and was going 85. The thing was smoother than any car I'd ever been in and, as far as acceleration, seemed just shy of the nitrous-oxide boosted vehicle I had ridden in. Ah, but those days are long gone. The world's changed a bit. Anyway...

I'm a back-roads type of guy, so I'm hoping that I'll be as happy with my little pony as I am now. It'd be nice to have a 6th gear for a few interstate runs, but I'll just have to deal with the rev on those occasions. Everyone I've seen comment on the 650 says that it'll run 70 mph all day, every day, with no ill effect.

Best of luck with it. Let us know how things go.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Tough call.

On one side, I wouldn't hand thousands to a total stranger in order to take a test drive even if I had witnesses to the event. On the other side, how are you going to know if the Financial Responsibility Card you've been shown is for insurance that hasn't been canceled? A new rider or someone between bikes probably isn't going to have MC insurance. I'm pretty sure that my auto insurance doesn't cover me what-so-ever on my, or anyone else's, bike. I believe it' got to be separate. Furthermore, how are you going to know if the insurance is minimum liability or liability and collision? If the rider is under-insured for any damage or personal injury to themselves and/or to others, There's a possibility that you'd end up being responsible for the deficit amount that your combined insurances wouldn't cover.

I think you're going to find that a lot of your pb's are not going to even have current liability, almost none are going to be willing to hand you the purchase price in cash, and very few are going to be willing to write you a large check to hold prior to the deal's close.

I didn't even ask to test drive my 650. I saw it's condition, the odometer reading, heard it run, and handed the owner a check. I was the first one to look at it, and I could actually feel the owner(s)' apprehension on the issue hanging in the air. I'm a dead-on judge of character, and I didn't need a test drive. It was a "you had to be there" situation.

Thinking back, having driven nothing but a Honda CM250 Custom in 33 years, I didn't want to drive the much larger bike until I could get it on my country road at a time of day when the road would be empty. There are a few of us that have that sense of responsibility, but don't expect it from all of your pbs.

In fact, when I sold the Honda CM250 two weeks later, I knew the guy who wanted it. However, he'd just passed his test, so I went out behind him on the 650. Going out a mile or two was fine. Coming back, I watched the guy run away from me, reaching 55+ mph on our country road that was still damp from the previous day's rain. I maintained 40 mph and was not pleased. I just shook my head, he kept it upright, and I guess everything worked out.

My advice is to choose the biggest empty parking area you can find and offer it or nothing. Ask for proof of insurance even in the parking area, but don't expect many to have it. You can also ask for the purchase price, but be prepared to hold a much smaller depo against potential damage. Most of all, make your terms crystal clear when setting up appointments. I'm looking at it this way: If the pb wants to open that particular model up and go through all the gears, there's got to be a dealer somewhere with the same or similar model. Dealers are usually well insured. I had a very small business and it was surprisingly inexpensive to carry a million-dollar liability policy.

Way back when the Gold Wing first came out, I, a long-haired leaping gnome at the time, was in the next town, on foot, with a couple of hours to kill. I decided to spend some of that time daydreaming at the Honda dealer. Salesman comes up behind me and the brand new Gold Wing and says, "Want to take her for a ride?" "Uh...sure." Didn't even take my ID. Moments later, way down the four-lane... I would have sworn I was going 50, looked down and was going 85. The thing was smoother than any car I'd ever been in and, as far as acceleration, seemed just shy of the nitrous-oxide boosted vehicle I had ridden in. Ah, but those days are long gone. The world's changed a bit. Anyway...

I'm a back-roads type of guy, so I'm hoping that I'll be as happy with my little pony as I am now. It'd be nice to have a 6th gear for a few interstate runs, but I'll just have to deal with the rev on those occasions. Everyone I've seen comment on the 650 says that it'll run 70 mph all day, every day, with no ill effect.

Best of luck with it. Let us know how things go.

Nice post, lots of good points:cool:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Call the Law Tigers. Lawyers the ride. 1-888-Law Tigers or Law Tigers.com They probably have a CYA document just for such a thing. I'll bet your not the first one to ask.
Great advice. I don't know why I didn't think of a legal document, but I second and recommend it.

But here are some thoughts that are right in line with my suggestion of keeping them off of the public road. Oft times the people most likely to sign an agreement are those that have nothing to loose. Blood out of a stone. Lawyers have even told me that a contract is only as good as the other person's net worth and how bad the other person's legal representation is. As far as contracts, they're a lot like putting up a disclaimer sign. It's not guaranteed to protect you, but it may or may not help in a suit. As a plantiff, You can end up spending a ton of money on legal fees and never see a dime in return. You see it in the news all the time. Seeing that in excess of 30% of U.S. citizens have a negative net worth...

Don't bet the farm on a contract.

Like I said, it's a different world than it was 30 years ago. More seemed to have gotten done and results seemed more equitable. Over the last 30 years there seems to have been a whole lot of people who's only goal in life has been screwing up any system that worked just fine and creating the paperwork needed to muck as much up as possible.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Two weeks before aquiring my current V Star custom 1100, I sold my cherry 87 Virago 700. Listed it on CL with all basic info and additions done to her. No response for 6 days, then a phonecall from someone 70 miles from me. He claimed he was very interested(I was skeptical). Set up a time frame for him to see it and test ride. He actually showed up early, cash offer in hand. I let him take a ride out my country roads solo, no questions asked. he left, and about 10 minutes later returned in one peice with nothing more than a bug splat on the headlight. Paid my asking price with joy and we headed to the notary for transfer of ownership in my car. Upon return, installed his new plate and after a handshake and a "ride safe" he was on his way down the road, wife following in the car he came in. I was questioning myself if I should have asked for more credentials such as an MC endorsement at the least, but I never did. He just seemed like a straight up guy, no bull. I suppose I was very lucky. Some day i will surely have to sell my current bike for an upgrade. When i do, I will go about protecting myself a bit better....just in case. Good luck with your sale.:)

·
Registered
35 Posts
I knew I was going to buy my strat, had it insured when I got to the sellers house with my buddy at 8pm. I also knew that if I hated the bike, I would have cancelled insurance immediately and my agent sayid, in 1st 2 weeks get a full refund. I
Eft my buddy with the guy and my car while I drove for 5 min. Guy never asked to see proof of insurance but I told him. I think that's why transaction was so seamless.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts