Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm looking for my first bike and for safety reasons it has been suggested to start with a smaller bike such as a 950. Well I'm 6'2" and 260lbs. Are there any of you out there near that size riding a 950? I understand the reasoning for starting out on a smaller bike but I don't want to be uncomfortable and miserable on one either
Just looking for opinions from the XL folks, if any, on a 950.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well that's exactly why I asked the question. I'm thinking the same thing but since I don't have any seat experience I don't know. Folks are suggesting save money and buy a smaller bike but heck I can buy a 1300 or even a Road Star for what I can find 950s for. I'm really not scared of the weight and as far as the power of a larger bike, well that's just common sense to stay off the throttle. I know the first bike will not be my last but would really rather not end up wanting to replace it in 6 months. But on the flip side I have no issue buying a 950 if its frame is large enough to fit comfortable and it has enough umph to push me down the road.

·
Registered
466 Posts
It has enough OOOMP for sure. That's no issue. I'm 6' and 197 lbs and it's fine for me, but the seat height is a little low. I wish the bike was bigger and I am not sure how much taller the 1300 seat height is. Again, you'll have no issues on the 950 with your height or weight, but if your worried about the need for upgrading too soon with the 950,get a 1300.

I mena have you ever rode a bike before? If not, maybe the 950, if you have get the 1300, or get the bike you find that is the best bike/deal you find. You might find a 950 with a bunch of mods on it like a Vance & Hines exhaust, computer programmer, air intake, etc.

If I was you, I'd ride BOTH and then you'll know for sure. I'm smart.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm 6'0", 240 (I'm workin' on it).
I bet you might be happier on a bigger bike.
I love my 950 and it does all it should do, but at 6'2", you'll definitely be sitting on top of the thing.
Go bigger.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm 6'3" 270 with a 38" inseam and I am a little cramped on wifes 950T. The way around that would be an engine guard with road pegs so I could stretch out on longer rides. The 950 has plenty of power and handles very good along with superb fuel mileage if driven reasonably. I enjoy getting on it and going for short rides just because it handles so nimble, especially after getting off of my Ultra.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'm 6'4 260 and I am plenary comfortable on my 950t. I looked at the 1300 and it wasn't all that much bigger. The break could be moved a bit forward off the floorboard. As far as power. My wife and I rode 300 miles this weekend up to Malibu canyon and roads the Snake to the rock cafe. Well let's just say my little lady easily doubles our load and the bike had no problem climbing an 8% grade and 180* turns. She complains about the factory pillion so a mustang seat is on the list.

·
Registered
417 Posts
So I'm looking for my first bike and for safety reasons it has been suggested to start with a smaller bike such as a 950. Well I'm 6'2" and 260lbs. Are there any of you out there near that size riding a 950? I understand the reasoning for starting out on a smaller bike but I don't want to be uncomfortable and miserable on one either
I'm 6 feet and a shade under 190 pounds. I came back to riding after nearly 30 years. I bought a V Star 1300. It is a big bike and the difference in seat height on a 650, a 950 and the 1300 is not all that different for taller folks. I really enjoy my bike but I think I should have started with a 650 or 950 for a while. I'm sure I could have gotten my money back had I bought the smaller used bike and sold it 6 months or a year later. It is easier to build your riding skills with the smaller bike.

Take a beginning rider course. You will notice a big difference in the ease of handling of the smaller 250 cc bikes they typically use for the courses.

·
Registered
882 Posts
After reading the thread, I noticed someone asked about your riding experience and I didn't see an answer. How much riding experience do you have? Dirt bikes and street.

The 1300 is incredibly easy to ride if you have basic skills so, depending on your skill level, I might suggest that route.

However, if you have zero experience and are a total noob, I don't see how a 950 is any safer than a 1300 and the ergonomic comfort level of the 1300 (I'm a big guy, too) is going to matter, in my view, a lot.

But, then, I am the guy that suggests, strongly, everyone start learning to ride by learning to ride a dirt bike first.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Riding experience is pretty much nil. I had a dirt bike for a few years as a kid. Too many years ago to really matter now. I also had about a 20mile trip with my Dads Harley but that was over 10 years ago. So in all actually not enough riding experience to make a difference.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I was 388 lbs and had a 1985 Virago 1000 which i chopped up and lowered into a bobber. Its all about what you like and what you feel comfortable on. The 1000 hauled me around justs fine.

NOW.. I lost 120 lbs and ride a VStar 1100 and ride in a bit more comfort but the Bobber may as well be a hardtail the way i chopped it.

Up to you.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Riding experience is pretty much nil. I had a dirt bike for a few years as a kid. Too many years ago to really matter now. I also had about a 20mile trip with my Dads Harley but that was over 10 years ago. So in all actually not enough riding experience to make a difference.
A good friend and I took the MC safety course together. I bought the 1300 new, he bought a used Triumph Bonneville about 800 cc. We both had ridden years ago. He wrecked about 10 days ago after only about 50 miles of riding.

We both really should have started smaller in weight and engine displacement then moved up. 3 or 4 thousand miles wouldn't change the resale on a used bike and that would have given us at least several months of riding to get our skills up.

So I actually did what you are considering. Bought a big bike after years of not riding. I still think after 3 months with the 1300 I should have started smaller even as easy as it is to ride.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Then, I strongly urge you to put off street riding and get a dirt bike. MSF offers a dirt course. Go to the local track. Find someone with an open field and befriend them. By them beer. Whatever.

Get clutching and shifting and throttle control down. Using both brakes. How counter steering really is what you're doing. Except at slow, slow speed. Learn what you can do with your body position and how it effects the bike. Get a whiskey throttle or two under your belt so you KNOW you can control it. And, MOST importantly, get a crash or three out of your system.

From dropping it at a dead stop, to laying it down in the dirt at slow speed to a good get off to washing the front end, in my view, that brings it all home, makes it as real as it can get. Removes the theoretical and makes it known to your body; screw up and you WILL go down. Plus, getting comfortable with the vagueness of dirt pays dividends when you hit some gravel or other slick spot on the street, reduces the panic or over reaction.

I know, as sure as I can be, that my dirt background, has saved me more than once on the street and a dirt wreck is far preferable, even fun, over a street wreck.

If it was in my power, I'd force you to do dirt first. Not everything translates. You don't weight the outside peg on the street but, all the other basic skills are there. Learning to not target fixate, learning to ride it out, just getting comfortable and proficient with all 7 control inputs, getting used to observing your machine, tires, checking fluids (TCLOCS) all of that. Becoming a rider.

There is NO good place to have a wreck on the street.

Keith Code

So, don't wreck on the street

Larry Gude

·
Registered
810 Posts
For a reference, I'm 6' 2", 225 and I added 4" floor board extensions to my 1300 to make it more comfortable. I had about the same motorcycle experience as you. I've also operated just about any kind of equipment you can imagine, on an off road, and a street motorcycle has been by far the hardest to learn. I started with a Shadow 600, and after a few weeks, I was ready for a bike that was more my size. But the first year of riding, I kept it to back country roads where there was almost no traffic and only rode solo until I got comfortable with how a bike handled. I then moved up to a 750, and soon realized it wasn't enough for me and my wife to be running around on the highway. Sometimes it's nice to have a little more grunt power to get up to highway speeds in traffic. From what I have bee able to gather on this site, the 950 and 1300 are not vastly different. I sat on a 950 in the show room, and it didn't seem much, if any, smaller than the 1300. The biggest complaint I've heard about the 950 is not lack of power or size, but the higher revs at highway speeds, and it is easy to scrape the boards in the corners. A larger person may exaggerate board-scraping. All of that said, I went to buy a 950, but they had a few old-stock new 1300's in the show room, and they were cheaper than the 950, but I'm glad I went with the 1300 for the highway cruising.

My 2 pennies.

·
Registered
16 Posts
After reading the thread, I noticed someone asked about your riding experience and I didn't see an answer. How much riding experience do you have? Dirt bikes and street.

The 1300 is incredibly easy to ride if you have basic skills so, depending on your skill level, I might suggest that route.

However, if you have zero experience and are a total noob, I don't see how a 950 is any safer than a 1300 and the ergonomic comfort level of the 1300 (I'm a big guy, too) is going to matter, in my view, a lot.

But, then, I am the guy that suggests, strongly, everyone start learning to ride by learning to ride a dirt bike first.
----------------------------------------------
I'm old "school too". I started riding on dirt bikes 35 years ago and that off road experience really helps in a lot of on road situations.

I'm 5'5" tall and the 950 fits me perfect. I have to agree with others that at your height a 1300 would be no more trouble to manage than a 950 would be. True, it has more power than the 950, but it's nothing like getting a new high revving 600 cc super sport R6 as your first bike with little riding experience.
I have not ridden a 1300 Deluxe on the road yet, but I have "paddled" one around the dealership and even at my height it was no problem to maneuver.
If I were a 6+ footer (How I wish I were so I could ride one of those tall seat adventure bikes) and had the funds, I would go the 1300 route.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Slayer, you make some very valid points too.

I'm thinking about moving up to a new 1300 Deluxe next year, but I don't know if I really need the extra power. The 950 seems a little weak while two upping with my wife at speeds above 75-80 mph, but I rarely get on the interstate with her on back. I like the backroads much better than the interstate and I don't know if I really need a 1300 when we mostly ride on 55-65 mph backroads.
However, the 1300 Deluxe sure does look fantastic! (A 950 Tourer ain't bad looking either) If my local Yamaha dealer still has that beautiful blue 2013 1300 Deluxe I've been drooling over sitting on his showroom floor in January 2015, I may have to make him an offer. I can't do anything for a year or so (We still have our 2012 Burgman 400 ABS scooter sitting in the garage. She'll have to go before I can trade-up to a 1300 Deluxe. Yes, I'll admit it....I like big scooters. I can ride it to the store and put a 6-pack and 7 bags of groceries under the seat) so I'll have plenty of time to think it over.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Your question is making me question my decision a little...I'm 5'10" and 230lbs and just bought a 2013 1300 Tourer. I haven't rode in almost 5 years and then it was only a 500 Shadow for a couple years. I debated and debated and said screw it...I knew if I bought something smaller again to get used to riding I'd regret it in a few weeks. We still have snow here yet, so i don't really know how I'll make out...I did get her out for 5 minutes one day to ride up the street and back...had no issues there...lol. My plan once I'm able to get out is to go hang out in empty parking lots for a couple days to get used to riding again. I say if you know you're going to want something bigger in a few weeks, get the 1300 and just take your time and learn...that's what I'm doing anyway.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
I'm just going to throw in my 2 cents. I took a 30 plus year break from riding when I got my 1100. I took a basic riders course to get back in the swing of things and then took it easy for a year. I got used to my bike and rode with more experienced riders that were willing to show me my mistakes. All this to say, ride your ride and if the folks you ride with aren't willing to help outand be patient with you, tell them you'll meet them at the next rest stop.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts