Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2013 Stratolner. I brought it home Saturday, from the original owner's location. This was a ride of close to 140 miles. Rode and handled like a dream, but when I put her in the garage, in the course of time I noticed a gurgling sound. It seemed to be coming from the fuel tank, and the garage filled with the smell of gas. Is this from engine heat? Is it natural? There was no fuel under the bike, and with a window open the smell went away.

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
Pretty much every vehicle on the road today is fuel injected, including your bike. In general fuel injected vehicles should not smell of gas.

Bikes and cars that still have carburetors smell of fuel when they are parked hot.

Someone with a Stratoliner will have to add their two ¢ here.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
if you smell fuel it's ether leaking or venting, i bet if you look really close with a led flashlight you'll find a small leak somewhere, i think there are two tanks on your bike one is the regular fuel tank and the other is below it with the pump in it, on bikes they don't put the pump in the main tank like they do on cars.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I now have three Liners and have never smelled gas in the garage. It must be a leak of some sort. The pump sits in the reserve tank. In some cases, a crack had developed in the plastic tank (under the seat). It is well documented in the Delphi Liner Wiki. I just don't see it happening to a 2013.

Hope its nothing.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The gurgling sound from the tank is what makes me think it was venting, it just seemed excessive compared to the other bike--A Suzuki water cooled V twin.

·
Registered
317 Posts
The gurgling sound from the tank is what makes me think it was venting, it just seemed excessive compared to the other bike--A Suzuki water cooled V twin.
V Stars are known to vent. I usually wait about 30 min before putting the bike back in the garage. Plus all that engine heat rises and cooks the fuel tank heating the fuel causing it to expand and vent more.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
V Stars are known to vent. I usually wait about 30 min before putting the bike back in the garage. Plus all that engine heat rises and cooks the fuel tank heating the fuel causing it to expand and vent more.
Thank you, I sort of figured that was what was going on, but I wanted to ask some people with experience.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After the Sunday ride, I let it sit outside for an hour, and then brought it in the garage, no scent of gasoline at all, so almost definitely venting..

·
Registered
108 Posts
Same happened to me about a week ago.
Tank had gurgling sound plus small amount of gas from overflow. Tank was less than 1/4 full
Has not happened on either bike before or since. Strange

1 - 9 of 9 Posts