Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all well as you know i am fairly new to this great forum and have beeen reading posts about the darkside and how the tyres wear and handle ect. Now i have been a memeber of other forums and it seems that the same thing is brought up about the difference in mileage ,and handling ect on other forums as well as the baggin .
What my question is and i hope not to get flammed over this as i know my name is crispy but i dont really want to live up to it ,how would you go with an insurance claim in the event of an accident ,could your insurer void your claim if they realized that you were not using a motorcycle tyre ?
I dont know about there in the U.S but i would imagine insurers are tarred with the same brush because i think here they would try to use any legal loophole to get out of paying a claim ,moderators if this is to hot then delete this thread as i dont want flames coming out of my speakers :D

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Hello down there. Ive been "darkside" for bout a year now, running a General Altimax on my 1100 classic, and have had no problems with handling other than getting used to the feel initially. Had to adjust air pressure till found that sweet spot. 38 psi running 2 up. Have around 8000 miles on it now and still looks new. Front tire is another matter. I'll never buy another Dunlop 404 again. As far as the insurance goes, I would recommend talking to you insurer and asking them what their policy may be. I do know that when that question was posed on the darkside forum, members had talked to their agents and they had said not a problem. Good luck in your search and hope I helped some.

·
Administrator
13,683 Posts
just guessing, but in a 1 vehicle bike accident i would think they could deny a claim because of the car tire. it probably depends on your coverage. in a 2 vehicle accident with another car, i doubt they would deny a claim since the fault usually lies with the other vehicle. and this may be different for each insurance company. so it might be a question better answered by whoever covers you.

·
Registered
882 Posts
...how would you go with an insurance claim in the event of an accident ,could your insurer void your claim if they realized that you were not using a motorcycle tyre ?
Ideally, you will never have this problem because you will keep researching using a car tire on a bike rim up to the point where you realize that car tires and bike rims don't go together and that you are risking your life for a couple 1,000 dollars, if that, over your life.

Ideally, Bevo is gonna re post his fabulous pics that illustrate just what it is you're thinking about doing and why it really might not be a good decision for reasons that will become obvious when he shows you.

Another way of putting the question is 'how would your survivors handle the claim'.

I put a LOT of time and research into the question in search of saving some money because Strats eat tires. I would get as few as 3,200 miles on an Exdera before it was shot.

One car tire, maybe 30,000 miles, $100 or so. Or 10 $170 tires?
$1,600 is real money!

Well, not if my ass gets hurt or killed.

I ride hard, lean hard, go fairly fast. Strats are torque monsters and them eating tires is a symptom of what?

Grip.

Tires wear because of abrasion and abrasion gives us grip. On an 800 pound machine turning in pretty good, I'm kinda liking the idea of leaving a little rubber behind in exchange for not leaving me behind.

Further, Michellin Road Commander II's seem to be a good solution of miles/grip. I am up to 2,200 miles on my first set and they look nearly new. I have read about guys, on here, getting 8,000 miles out of them. If money really matters that much, that cuts the 1,600 clams down, a lot.

But, again, I am hoping Bevo will re post the link or you can find it in another thread, but, the bottom line is car tires do not seat properly on MC rims. They just don't. And, car tires are designed to be ridden on the center, not leaned.

Think about contact patch. Look at the your tube vids. Think about what is going on with a car tire and a bike tire in a curve.

Now you make your own decision and live with it but, for me, the bottom line was, for the benefit of a few bucks, I did not want to be regretting the fact that I put my life at risk with a piece of equipment ill suited for the task. Very ill suited. Plenty of guys swear by it and have great results, no problems, are very happy about it. Good for them and god bless freedom. And responsibility.

To me, it's like the line in Tin Cup where Roy brags about par-ing in the back 9 with a 7 iron and asks Don Johnson if he'd ever done that.

Johnson's character says "Why Roy, I never even thought about trying to."

You can do it. Darkside. But, why? A few bucks?

·
Administrator
13,683 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
When it comes to the insurance part I can guarantee you that if they can find a way out of paying a claim they will. It really doesn't matter what your agent tells you even if he has good honest intentions. Claims are paid out of a office by people that care nothing about you, only the bottom line. The less they pay out the better their bottom line.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Hi all well as you know i am fairly new to this great forum and have beeen reading posts about the darkside and how the tyres wear and handle ect. Now i have been a memeber of other forums and it seems that the same thing is brought up about the difference in mileage ,and handling ect on other forums as well as the baggin .
What my question is and i hope not to get flammed over this as i know my name is crispy but i dont really want to live up to it ,how would you go with an insurance claim in the event of an accident ,could your insurer void your claim if they realized that you were not using a motorcycle tyre ?
I dont know about there in the U.S but i would imagine insurers are tarred with the same brush because i think here they would try to use any legal loophole to get out of paying a claim ,moderators if this is to hot then delete this thread as i dont want flames coming out of my speakers :D
You should never ask this question as you will get all the same out BS about how you can not run a CT on a bike.
As long as it's a DOT approved tire the ins. will pay, I have over 40K miles running CTs and will say unless you ride over 16,000 miles a year, than just forget about it.

·
Registered
342 Posts
You should never ask this question as you will get all the same out BS about how you can not run a CT on a bike.
And you get the same BS about how car tires are just fine on motorcycles. :p

·
Registered
882 Posts
You should never ask this question as you will get all the same out BS about how you can not run a CT on a bike. .
Who said you couldn't? Of course you can. I took the effort to explain my reasoning why I choose not to so that the OP can make as informed a decision as he likes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the replys ,i had a look at the other thread and the diagrams/photos .Sorry about that guys didnt realize it was a touchy subject but anyway good points raised from both sides better lock this one up now mods.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Thanks for all the replys ,i had a look at the other thread and the diagrams/photos .Sorry about that guys didnt realize it was a touchy subject but anyway good points raised from both sides better lock this one up now mods.
Not a touchy subject. 3,000 miles a tire is ridiculous. I seriously thought about it. You're researching it and doing your due diligence.

·
Registered
810 Posts
how would you go with an insurance claim in the event of an accident ,could your insurer void your claim if they realized that you were not using a motorcycle tyre ?
Dyna118 is correct.

How do I know?? I called my insurance company (Progerssive) and asked them about it. They seemed a little confused as to why they wouldn't cover me. They said as long is it a DOT tire approved for street use, and has not been modified or altered (ie: cutting treads with a knife, modified for off road use, etc...) they would absolutely cover me. They don't consider installing a car tire on a bike as being altered. I asked if I could have something in writing, and they said there is nothing to put in writing because because it is not an exclusion and it meets their requirements for coverage. The only problem you will run into is the tire manufacturer will not honor their warranties if the tire wears out prematurely.

Having said that, the circumstances will probably dictate the outcome more than anything. For example, if you crash into a building and cause $250,000,000 worth of damage, they will find every loophole they can to hang you on, and assume your ct made you lose control of your vehicle, thus causing the damage. If you don't have a car tire on your bike and cause the same $250,000,000, they will blame it on your loud pipes, ape hangers, or whatever else may have distracted you. But, if you crash into a telephone pole and trash your bike and cost the insurance company $5,000, they probably won't even question what kind of tires you have, cut you a check, then raise your rates.

I have yet to hear of accidents directly resulting from the use of ct on bikes. Not to say there is none, but I haven't seen any documentation on it. But there are a LOT of accidents due to inexperience more than anything, and I maintain anyone who is a good rider probably would never have a problem running a ct. I did my advanced Motorcycle Safety Training course on a CT and had no problems. I asked them before the class if it was ok to take the class on a CT, and they said "why not?"

I would recommend giving your insurance company a call just to verify, but I don't think they can deny coverage for using a ct. If that is the case, they would be able to deny coverage for things like ape hangers, rstd bars, floorboard extensions, flame/skull shaped mirrors, smaller lights, and even tires that are not exactly the manufacturers recommended size. How many people here go a size or two wider on their Mt???? Sorry, but ALL of these things fall into the same category. I know this has been beat to death, but I just wanted to share what I found with my insurance company.

Keep the shiny side up!!

·
Administrator
13,683 Posts
I would recommend giving your insurance company a call just to verify, but I don't think they can deny coverage for using a ct. If that is the case, they would be able to deny coverage for things like ape hangers, rstd bars, floorboard extensions, flame/skull shaped mirrors, smaller lights, and even tires that are not exactly the manufacturers recommended size.
that's exactly right. depending on your coverage or company, they can probably cite anything on the bike that is not factory installed or abiding by the exact specifications of the manufacturer's service/owner's manual. and just because the rep at the company said they would cover you, doesn't necessarily make that true, depending on the circumstance. he/she is low on the totem pole. like you said, depending on the circumstance, it could be a lot easier for them to just hand over a small check for something minor, or fight with an army of lawyers if there is a lot of money involved.

so to answer the original question, yes your company will probably cover any accidents despite you using a car tire on your bike. and yes, they will probably not cover you and cite that tire and anything else they possibly can if you somehow get involved in something costing hundreds of thousands of dollars.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I've got a new 130/90-15 Kenda 671 sitting downstairs. I put it upright and sat down on on it. I lifted my feet off of the ground. The thing didn't even budge. The sidewalls on this tire make it about as solid as sitting on a rock when it's not even on a rim. I weigh 180lb. I can't remember being able to do that with any of the subcompact car tires I've ever owned without having them damn near fold and collapse. I seem to remember that some of them even did just that. But then I've been known to have partaken of a few recreational activities over the years and my memory might not be as good as it should be. :D

·
Registered
251 Posts
is this how you test all your new tires?
There's another way?

Seriously, this thing didn't go "flat" on the bottom at all! You could tell immediately that the Dunlop on the 650 was flat by looking at it. I'm figuring that the Virago is around 320lb. I'm 180lb. Half of the total is 250lb. I'll bet I wouldn't be able to (visually) tell it was flat on the bike until I went to take off. It felt like I could have stabilized the thing, jumped up and down on it and it still would have barely changed shape.

I was amazed at the strength of the sidewall.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Insurance

Why would you point out to the insurance adjuster that you are running a car tire ? I don't get that idea.
Anyways,I have been darkside since '98.
Totaled 2 bikes.
Car collision,deer crash.
Got $$$$$ from insurance.
The car tires DID NOT cause the crashes.
I run Double Darkside now.

JJ

·
Registered
27 Posts
Dyna118 is correct.

How do I know?? I called my insurance company (Progerssive) and asked them about it. They seemed a little confused as to why they wouldn't cover me. They said as long is it a DOT tire approved for street use, and has not been modified or altered (ie: cutting treads with a knife, modified for off road use, etc...) they would absolutely cover me. They don't consider installing a car tire on a bike as being altered. I asked if I could have something in writing, and they said there is nothing to put in writing because because it is not an exclusion and it meets their requirements for coverage. The only problem you will run into is the tire manufacturer will not honor their warranties if the tire wears out prematurely.

Having said that, the circumstances will probably dictate the outcome more than anything. For example, if you crash into a building and cause $250,000,000 worth of damage, they will find every loophole they can to hang you on, and assume your ct made you lose control of your vehicle, thus causing the damage. If you don't have a car tire on your bike and cause the same $250,000,000, they will blame it on your loud pipes, ape hangers, or whatever else may have distracted you. But, if you crash into a telephone pole and trash your bike and cost the insurance company $5,000, they probably won't even question what kind of tires you have, cut you a check, then raise your rates.

I have yet to hear of accidents directly resulting from the use of ct on bikes. Not to say there is none, but I haven't seen any documentation on it. But there are a LOT of accidents due to inexperience more than anything, and I maintain anyone who is a good rider probably would never have a problem running a ct. I did my advanced Motorcycle Safety Training course on a CT and had no problems. I asked them before the class if it was ok to take the class on a CT, and they said "why not?"

I would recommend giving your insurance company a call just to verify, but I don't think they can deny coverage for using a ct. If that is the case, they would be able to deny coverage for things like ape hangers, rstd bars, floorboard extensions, flame/skull shaped mirrors, smaller lights, and even tires that are not exactly the manufacturers recommended size. How many people here go a size or two wider on their Mt???? Sorry, but ALL of these things fall into the same category. I know this has been beat to death, but I just wanted to share what I found with my insurance company.

Keep the shiny side up!!
This post offers something other than the anecdotal advice others have presented here. Also, insurance companies ask questions about 'custom' features as a matter of coverage, not to get information so they can deny a claim. They are not going to pay to replace your $2k sound system if you have not told them that it is installed on your bike.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts