Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned an '09 V Star 1300 for a bit over a year now and while I love it I've got the opportunity to pick up a demo 2010 Strat Deluxe from a local dealer...

Right now she has it marked down to just a shade under 13K which I know is a good price....A lot will depend on what she's willing to do with my bike as a trade but if that can be worked out I still would like the perspective of folks that have or have at one time owned the bike...

I've read every article and review on the bike that I can find and while most are very complimentary (for good reason) some do have some criticisms of the bike which is where I'm hoping for your input.

I've yet to ride her bike (figured no sense in wasting my or her time if the numbers can't be worked out) but one thing I've seen critcism wise is the fairing not being very effective in either directing enough air over the rider as well as allowing to much to come from underneath which also induces a lot of buffeting of the rider...What has been your experiences with this? Does the fairing do the job as is for you or have you had to go to the taller windscreen and some kind of lowers to get the wind protection you needed?

This kind of goes with the last question but did you find the speakers were able to be heard as is at let's say interstate speed 70+ ? One reviewer commented that above 55mph the speakers were totally inaudible...Has that been anyone's experience?

I guess beyond that I'm just curious what you folks have found yourself out buying to make the bike more enjoyable/usable?

I know after buying a bone stock cruiser that I was quickly spending money on things like a windshield and lowers, cruise pegs, ISO grips and so on just to make riding more comfortable...

What in your minds does the Deluxe need that it doesn't roll off the floor with?

And I guess finally just your impressions of the bike good or bad...I know there will be more good than bad but I just wanna know what the average rider like me that's either bought (or not bought) the bike thinks about it....

Thanks in advance for any input you can offer!!!

BC

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have an 06 Midnight, mostly for the comfort of my wife. I'm 5' 8" with a short wingspan. The previous owner had already put on a Mustang seat. I found the handlebars too far away and too wide. I had to replace the bars with the Yamaha touring. Flanders has a set but it will not fit unless you extend the cables and wires. The bars were $200 and 1.5 hrs labor at the dearer because they have to fish wires throught the bars. I couldn't figure it out. The bike itself has more than enough power for the both of us. I put the Memphis Shades batwing on my 2 previous Yamaha's, a 650 & 1300. You have to decide if you want to look over or through the windsscreen. I have found that if the top is at eye level, I get the most buffeting. This windscreen is over my eyes and I get a lot less buffeting. I wasn't sure I would like it, but it is much better than my eyes bouncing around like dice on a craps table. The mid-level screen just didn'y work for me. You may want to try to negotiate prices on different bars and the right size screen. I thought streetrods were bad, but bikes are just as bad at sucking money out of your wallet. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Buffeting

BC,

My Liner is an 06. So cannot speak with much authority about the Deluxe. I did get buffeting with my stock Stratoliner wind shield. Buck's Lowers solved that. I believe you will need a taller windshield to bring it up to about nose high if you want no wind.

I believe you can get lowers that attach to the lower fairing and /or lowers on the front end.

Seems we always find new things we want / need for a new bike.

Dave

·
Registered
12 Posts
Love mine.

I had a 950 and went to a Strat Deluxe this year. I put the hard lowers on right away, and added a 9" clearview shield. I love the bike. It took a little getting used to in city driving situations because it is a big bike. On the highway though......... She's sweet! If you need to pass someone, no problem. I even like the stock seat. Buy it. You won't regret it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I own a 2010 Strat Deluxe. I replaced the stock windshield with a 9 inch Clearview and this greatly reduced the buffeting. I am 6ft2inches tall. No problem hearing the speakers at highway speeds. The bike is very well balanced. It did teach me the difference between well balanced and nimble! It is long and low so be careful in tight curves. I have added several other items, but none were really necessary. I needed a back rest and my wife needed a better seat so I now have the Ultimate seats which are wonderful. I have put about 8000 miles on the bike since last September. Nothing I have seen so far comes close to moving be off believing I own the best cruiser on the market. I would like to see or ride one of the Victorys someday, just out of curiosity.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys...I REALLY appreciate your insight and experiences!!!

I'm planning on visiting the dealership tomorrow to talk to the owner and see where she's at deal wise.....I really love my 1300 but being every bit of 6 foot and a cheeseburger or two over three bills I'm pretty certain I'll love the Deluxe even more...

If a slightly taller shield and some lowers is all I need to look initially then I'm good with that...

Thanks again for taking time to give me your impressions and by all means if there are others I'd still love to hear more...

This is a pretty big investment and I want to do my homework on it....

·
Registered
68 Posts
I traded in my 950T for a stratoliner deluxe 5 weeks ago I now racked up 3000 km (1800 miles) and all I can say is I love it. So far I installed the passing lamps (A safety thing, I like to be seen), Touring handle bars ( I have short arms :)), ISO grips and a touring windshield that I just added today. The touring windshield is a must in my opinion and the good news is that it only costs $129.00
The stereo is fine with lots of volume for the highway.

Keep us posted

Denis

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
You can't go wrong and you won't be disappointed. With a few mods they make a great bike for just about any type of riding,back roads,city,hwy or just plain hauln arse.Go for it you only live once.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you both for your thoughts and insights on the bike....I think I'm going to go talk a little turkey with the dealership today on my lunch break and see where she's at on the Strat and my 1300....

I'm excited about the possibilities but we'll have to see what the $$$ looks like...

Regardless of the outcome I appreciate each and every one of you taking the time to share your thoughts with me on your bikes...it's helped tremendously!!

BC

·
Registered
212 Posts
I just turned 17,000 miles on my Deluxe and I am still all smiles everytime I ride it. I think the fairing is perfect for this bike and I think Yamaha hit the mark on the overall bike.

As far as the factory speakers, They Suck.
For around town they are ok but if you want real sound you will need to upgrade. I ended up putting a pair of 5250 Kickers and an Alpine amp and I couldn't be happier with the sound. 70+ you can still hear the music without any issues.
Swomack

·
Registered
212 Posts
That's a beautiful machine Swomack!!
Thanks Brother.
But does it make you want to be a Deluxe owner ???
My last bike was a Yamaha Raider and I put 60,000 + miles on it in 28 months before I sold it. It was such a great bike that I bought another Yamaha. You will not be let down if you buy a Deluxe I can tell you that. Here is a picture of my Raider.
Swomack

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It definitely does!!

I went and talked with the dealer today and she's going to have to come up with a better number than she currently is for my 1300...She's not even close at this point...

I may consider selling the 1300 privately to avoid dealing with the trade-in haggling but we'll see...I'll let her stew on it for a bit and see if she changes her mind at all...

That's a killer looking Raider also!! You've got a good eye for what makes a good looking bike...

BC

·
Registered
153 Posts
Swomak,
Were the speakers and amp a direct fit or did you have to do alot of wiring modifications? What model amp did you use?
Thanks
Mick

·
Registered
166 Posts
I've got an 07 Midnight...medium windscreen puts the air right over me and I'm 5'8.
Honestly this is the best bike I have owned, I have had Suzukis', Hondas, a few Yamahas' and a Harley road king...by far the best bike over them all! Trust me you wouldn't be disappointed....I'd sell that bike outright, the dealer will only give you wholesale plus 10% at best....they'll want to sell it retail and gain some profit.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks damquick!!

Yeah that's the only way I'll be able to make this happen....Gonna throw some ads out locally and see if I can get any interest in the 1300 and then go from there....

The dealer has had her Strat Deluxe since before Christmas 2010 so I doubt it'll go anywhere...could be wrong but if nobody snatches it up for what she has it marked at right now then no one in this area wants it....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts