Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I paid it no mind, as usual,:rolleyes: but somewhere on this Forum I read a post where someone wrote they put a CAR tire:confused: on their machine.
I never owned a bike with a tire that could be interchanged with a car tire. Norton, 72 Superglide, 79XS1100 some Enduros.. My questions are:
Why would one want to do this?
If one did, is it safe?
Anyone admit they have done it? and why?
I thank you in advance....
Ride Often, Ride Safe, Just Ride!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Found It.

I paid it no mind, as usual,:rolleyes: but somewhere on this Forum I read a post where someone wrote they put a CAR tire:confused: on their machine.
I never owned a bike with a tire that could be interchanged with a car tire. Norton, 72 Superglide, 79XS1100 some Enduros.. My questions are:
Why would one want to do this?
If one did, is it safe?
Anyone admit they have done it? and why?
I thank you in advance....
Jarhead1100 posted this:
"I believe this shows how many people are watching this thread. Normally any mention of car tires and motorcycles bring out the preachers of proper tread!":confused:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jarhead1100 posted this:
"I believe this shows how many people are watching this thread. Normally any mention of car tires and motorcycles bring out the preachers of proper tread!":confused:
mitchm1posted this;
of placing a car tire on a bike on another post:
a friend of mine just lowered his about 2 1/2 inches between links and a 205 car tire . i will see it in a few days might get some pics. and i printed off a few of your pictures ,,,hope thats alright????

·
Registered
258 Posts
My neighbour has one on his Goldwing. He swears by it for mileage tho he admits it took awhile to learn how to steer it.
Try googling "dark side car tires". It seems like a dark cult following.

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
I have never done this "dark side" thing but from all that are using a car tire on the rear will swear up and down they'll get 30K-40K miles MINIMUM!
So if you compare that to a $200.00 plus rear bike tire that will give you 6K miles maybe...sure makes one consider it.

·
Registered
404 Posts
If you want it straight from the horse's mouth, PM "fat strat", I'm pretty sure he is the "club" President - LOL!
I'm glad you came up with that. I've been sitting here wracking my brain trying to remember who it was on here that I know uses one on his Strat. Must be getting closer to the weekend, the brain's slowing down.:D

·
Registered
404 Posts
Also try searching the forum. I seem to remember there was a somewhat lengthy thread called "Any darksiders out there?", possibly last fall or early winter.:confused:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Eh, Had a CT on my VTX for a while,,,
Went back to a MT and like it MUCH better.
Some folks like CT's, but it just isn't "my cup of tea",,,

·
Administrator
13,711 Posts
Eh, Had a CT on my VTX for a while,,,
Went back to a MT and like it MUCH better.
Some folks like CT's, but it just isn't "my cup of tea",,,
what made you decide to switch back? can you give some details on the differences between the two? i think you're the first person i've seen/heard of that has switched to the CT and then back to MT

·
Registered
65 Posts
what made you decide to switch back? can you give some details on the differences between the two? i think you're the first person i've seen/heard of that has switched to the CT and then back to MT
In a word, handling.

In a more defined assessment, it changes the steering geometry of the bike in a manner that I find unacceptable and/or undesirable.

The geometry that I speak of is the disparity in the distances from the contact patch of either tire to the centerline of the bike when in a lean/turning position. The wider 'less rounded' CT's contact patch moves rather rapidly and further away from centerline than that of the front tire when the bike starts to lean.

This is basically the same 'effect' as having a w-i-d-e MC tire on the back and a narrow tire on the front,,, only it may be even more pronounced and occur at a lesser degree of lean as typically a w-i-d-e MC tire is, for all intents and purposes, still not quite as 'flat' or square across it's tread profile as a CT.

The effect of this disparity between the front and the rear in a lean can result in an understeer condition. Folks who encounter this understeer sometimes swear they are going faster as now, all of a sudden, they are scraping pegs/boards etc. They realize the bike handles 'different', but the 'scraping' is proof enough to them that they are 'going faster'.

In my opinion, and in my interpretation of what is occuring, the bike is actually 'crab-steering' with the rear trying to hold a tighter line closer to the inside of the curve that the front.

Using a CT on a bike is not ALL negative,,,, They have a great price, great treadwear, and they ride pretty smooth too!.

If a rider can try to run reasonably equal width tires on both the front and back, and limit the disparity between the two, the steering geometry will be less affected (I.E. "Double darkside")

I think there are 'reasonable' reasons for using either type of tire if it provides you with what you need. Peoples needs do vary.

I never really knew how bad I missed the handling of the MT until after I went back to using one. Much more 'fluid' and 'crisp', and any wandering was then a thing of the past.

I do miss the smooth ride, and who wouldn't like more miles for less $$$ out of a tire???

Many speak of 'traction' but I've never been at a loss for traction with my 1800. So, I guess I 'can't relate', especially if there bike weighs just a little less than mine and has approx 35% less HP/TQ. (1300 vs 1800 VTX)

To me,,,, How I like to ride and how I want my bike to react to both my input as well as the road, my choice of tire is the MT over the CT. Other folks may like it other ways, or may place more importance on other aspects.

I guess what I don't like about the whole CT/MT debate is it seems like there are just some folks who are not willing to accept someone elses opinion if it's different then theirs. It doesn't help when words like "never" , "better", and "best" are used in these evaluations when many do not feel the same. (It has a polarizing effect)

There are folks I've know on VTX boards who have went CT, and then, perhaps for whatever reason, (new bike, or like me, had a new MT laying around) ,,,, for whatever reason, went back to a MT and decided they actually liked the MT better. The 'odd' part of this is that many choose to remain mostly 'quite' about it.... Sure, they will admit they are back on a MT if asked, but they can't quite define what it is that is occuring that makes 'em like it better.

I have often wondered if the 'reverse converts' were at one time or another using "Best", "Better", and "Never" in their prior CT reviews,,, and now,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,?

Never is a long time, and everything has it's trade-offs.

Ride what cha want.

·
Registered
65 Posts
since i've debated this thing to death on the internet already and am extremely one-sided on this argument, i'm just posting another thread from this site where this has been discussed:

http://www.starbikeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1085&highlight=car+tire
Dang, that discussion was rather 'calm', if not down right pleasent!

I've been on other boards where this subject gets way out of hand. It goes for 'pages and pages' and it gets UGLY!!!

I've got more data from Bridgestone that further defines the differences in design and design requirements between CT and MT, but CT die hards seem to look upon it unfavorably as it doesn't really support their claims of a CT being either "Better" or "Best" in technical terms.

Still, the CT guys still have their own 'following',,,

One thing I have noticed in my own little world (Houston),,, If ya look around,,, way, way less than 1% of the bikes out there run CT's,,, You really have to 'be alert' to even find a CT equipped bike out on the street. I know of a 'Wing, a Valk, and one VTX I've seen out on the open roads in the last year or so,,, Total number of bikes where I've had a chance to confirm rear tire type? Jeesh, gotta be over a thousand,,,

Ride what cha want.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Well... as President of " Star Motorcycle Forum, Car Tire Division" I will say that I agree with points that have been made on both sides of the argument.

I have over 10,000 miles on a Contental Conti Contact 215/60r17 car tire mounted on my 06 Strat. I believe that this qualifies me to critique my experience.

Is there a difference in handling? Yes there is. There are different handling characteristics from brand to brand of MC tires as well. However, with the car tire... the most noticable characteristic is that more input to the handlebars is required in turns. At first... this tendency of the bike to want to stay standing up straight is unfamiliar and a little disconcerting, but with every mile, you become familiar with the feel. Applying the extra input becomes natural. You become acclimated. At this point, if I were to put a MC tire back on the bike, I'd probably have to go through the same process in reverse.

Wet weather traction is fine, I ride it as hard in the wet as I would a MC tire.

What has been said about tread life is accurate. At 10,000 miles there is no noticable wear. Will probably see 30,000.

From what I've studied, car tires are more resistant to punctures because they are steel belted ( it's a bitch when you pick up a nail or a bolt in your brand new MC tire , isn't it?).

What else can I say?

I've taken more than a few long trips and ride 70 miles round trip to work everyday. All is well.

Will I be replacing this tire with another CT? At this point, I think I will. I haven't experienced any reasons not to. It handles fine and wears like iron and I haven't experienced any dangerous situations like some hysterical doom predicters often prophesy will be my end.

For those of you that haven't seen the pics of what my CT looks like, here it is...

There it is.
Oh... let me add that the Conti cost $93.00

Fat Strat

·
Registered
65 Posts
I think the biggest hurdle with CT/MT is that it seems like everyone wants to define this issue as either being clearly either 'right or wrong',,, Well, not everyone is gonna feel the same here.

The only way you will ever know if it's right for you is to try it yourself. You can read till your eyeballs bleed and still never really know until ya spend a couple thousand miles on one.

If any rider feels like it's 'right for them', that's cool. I have no problem with that at all.

The tough (actually, sad) part is when all the pizzen contests start.

Yeah, I've 'been there, done that', too. :(

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Why Thank you all.

I think the biggest hurdle with CT/MT is that it seems like everyone wants to define this issue as either being clearly either 'right or wrong',,, Well, not everyone is gonna feel the same here.

The only way you will ever know if it's right for you is to try it yourself. You can read till your eyeballs bleed and still never really know until ya spend a couple thousand miles on one.

If any rider feels like it's 'right for them', that's cool. I have no problem with that at all.

The tough (actually, sad) part is when all the pizzen contests start.

Yeah, I've 'been there, done that', too. :(
When I first inquired under this topic about MT CT and what was up with that. I had no idea about the passion that people had with regards to the whole debate. I will only say as HoustonHemi has, this is an individual thing. If I did nothing more than drive superhwy for 30 miles in a straight line to and from work. I might consider CT for only the mileage you can get out of it. If I lived in Denver and on weekends on was cruising hard on the Mountain Hwy's. I would never consider a CT. But that is me and not you and it will always be such. Always make a decision from a position of knowledge, not just hearsay. Do your Due Diligence.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Dang, that discussion was rather 'calm', if not down right pleasent!

I've been on other boards where this subject gets way out of hand. It goes for 'pages and pages' and it gets UGLY!!!

I've got more data from Bridgestone that further defines the differences in design and design requirements between CT and MT, but CT die hards seem to look upon it unfavorably as it doesn't really support their claims of a CT being either "Better" or "Best" in technical terms.

Still, the CT guys still have their own 'following',,,

One thing I have noticed in my own little world (Houston),,, If ya look around,,, way, way less than 1% of the bikes out there run CT's,,, You really have to 'be alert' to even find a CT equipped bike out on the street. I know of a 'Wing, a Valk, and one VTX I've seen out on the open roads in the last year or so,,, Total number of bikes where I've had a chance to confirm rear tire type? Jeesh, gotta be over a thousand,,,

Ride what cha want.
Well said H.H.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Is there a difference in handling? Yes there is. There are different handling characteristics from brand to brand of MC tires as well. However, with the car tire... the most noticable characteristic is that more input to the handlebars is required in turns. At first... this tendency of the bike to want to stay standing up straight is unfamiliar and a little disconcerting, but with every mile, you become familiar with the feel. Applying the extra input becomes natural. You become acclimated. At this point, if I were to put a MC tire back on the bike, I'd probably have to go through the same process in reverse.
Fat Strat
Is there a difference in acceptable lean angles? It seems like you would lose traction if you went to far. I know it is all subjective, but in your opinion is it a good experience to ride really curvy roads with a c/t? I would guess that, like you said it is just a matter of getting used to it but I am seriously considering trying this so I want to get as much info as possible.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts