Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everybody,

I am new to the forum so i will give you some of my riding background.

I ride a VStar 650 custom 2007 and it has around 4000 miles. Just did a scheduled service on it.

I have a question, before i start riding i heat up the bike pretty nicely but sometimes what i feel is the engine is revving too much at around 40-45 mph and then after sometime it becomes normal and starts taking power and rpm reduces. so does this happen to all custom 650s or you would call this as abnormal behavior ?

my second question was.. what are the average rpms when the bike has peak torque ? is it 3000 ? since it doesn't have a tac meter.. so at what speed should i expect 3000 rpms ?

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had a 650 custom and mine never acted in a manner that you are describing, so in my opinion it is abnormal behavior.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had a 650 custom and mine never acted in a manner that you are describing, so in my opinion it is abnormal behavior.
well this doesn't happen everytime.. i mean its rare.. i suspect it happens only if i have not heated up my bike nicely.. could that be the case ?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi Everybody,

I am new to the forum so i will give you some of my riding background.

I ride a VStar 650 custom 2007 and it has around 4000 miles. Just did a scheduled service on it.

I have a question, before i start riding i heat up the bike pretty nicely but sometimes what i feel is the engine is revving too much at around 40-45 mph and then after sometime it becomes normal and starts taking power and rpm reduces. so does this happen to all custom 650s or you would call this as abnormal behavior ?

my second question was.. what are the average rpms when the bike has peak torque ? is it 3000 ? since it doesn't have a tac meter.. so at what speed should i expect 3000 rpms ?

Thank you in advance.
HI Flyby,

If your expierencing an increase in Rpm's while your doing 40-45 mph with the clutch engaged, then someting is very wrong with your clutch.
Dennis

·
Registered
6 Posts
IMO -Take the Bike in to get it checked

well this doesn't happen everytime.. i mean its rare.. i suspect it happens only if i have not heated up my bike nicely.. could that be the case ?
Hi;
I'm driving a 1998 V-star 650 Classic. Mine doesn't do what you described.

If you are a skilled bike maintenance person, then check your clutch cable adjustment (might be too tight - not enough play)... make sure your not using a regular car oil (that can cause a slipping clutch)

Otherwise, take it back to whomever did the service.

let us know what you figure out please.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi;
I'm driving a 1998 V-star 650 Classic. Mine doesn't do what you described.

If you are a skilled bike maintenance person, then check your clutch cable adjustment (might be too tight - not enough play)... make sure your not using a regular car oil (that can cause a slipping clutch)

Otherwise, take it back to whomever did the service.

let us know what you figure out please.
well i have noticed this, when my bike is parked the clutch lever is pretty tight no play at all but when i start riding and ride like around 10-15 miles i see around 2 cms of play in the clutch lever.

·
Registered
6 Posts
good mod - clutch adjustment mod

well i have noticed this, when my bike is parked the clutch lever is pretty tight no play at all but when i start riding and ride like around 10-15 miles i see around 2 cms of play in the clutch lever.
I highly recommend performing the "Clutch Adjustment Mod" as described on the www.650cnd.com website. This adjusts the clutch grab point to about halway in the movement & removes free play. the engage point for the V-Star 650 drove me crazy, so I did a DIY mod. For $17, someone sells a kit on ebay.
Search for Yamaha V-Star 650 clutch adjustment kit on eBay.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info First_N_Last, i am taking my bike to the dealer(the one who serviced it) this weekend and will show it to him... lets see how it goes.

will surely look into the clutch mod.

·
Registered
27 Posts
You need to adjust the clutch end play when it is COLD! Cold morning and bike not started yet. Dealer/service people can't reliably get this done cold as their work flow typically means starting it up and moving it into the shop even if they left it out all night in the cold.

It is a simple enough adjustment to do yourself and it is in the owner manual.

Don't pay much attention to anybody who has something besides a 650 as the 650 is a unique beast when it comes to how small the clutch friction zone is and how far out it is. Even trained Yamaha service people sometimes forget about this 650 quirk and think your clutch is gone because the friction zone is so far out because none of the other models they work on have this quirk.

I'm the impatient sort and also rides anytime it is above freezing. I'm off as soon as I can back the choke down one notch. If there isn't enough free play and you accelerate hard in second when it is cold, it will pop back into neutral. If it does this on a cold day, you definitely have the characteristic not enough free play in the clutch cable.

·
Registered
27 Posts
From the 2007 Vstar custom operators manual clutch lever free play measured at the end on page 6-21:
XVS65ATW/XVS65ATWC/XVS65AW/XVS65AWC 5-10mm
XVS65W/XVS65WC 10-15mm
The operator manuals are all online, so check your model tag then check the manual and make sure you have enough free play when it is cold.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts