Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I am a new owner of the 2008 Warrior. I am not happy with the factory lighting, and I was thinking of the best way to fix this.
I know that Daymakers are nice, at least that's what folks on HD forums say. I am not sure, whether Daymakers are worth their money. I was looking at the LED ones with black housing (https://www.harley-davidson.com/store/7-daymaker-projector-led-headlamp-pa-11-67700266--1). Is that a good idea to pay that much for the light? Or you think it will be enough to pick one of the nice Daymaker alternatives? I know there are $30 round lights on Amazon and e-bay which I do not plan on dealing with. I consider lights that have CAN-bus module and load resistor, just to be sure that my electric system won't go nuts. Just an example of what I feel may work - https://www.motorcycleid.com/bagger-brothers/bagger-brothers-projection-led-headlight-528676205.html. But before I go and spend money, I wanted to ask you folks tell me, whether it is a good idea to install LEDs at all?
Thanks for any help/comments.
Fred.

·
Registered
447 Posts
As far as I can tell, the warrior uses a custom headlight assymbly much like my 950. So those generic 7" daymakers will not fit, without a LOT of work, or replacing the headlight bucket with a standard 7" one.

As far as cheap alternatives to the HD daymaker, some are good and a lot of them are not. You just have to research reviews and locate exact models that are good. Normally the issue is the rate the lights on the MAX amount of light the leds install can produce, not how much they produce based on what power level they are running the voltage regulator at, how well and long the voltage regulator lasts before it dies, and how good the heatsinks are to keep the led cool (the led light output goes down when it gets hot).

There is no need for CAN-bus or loadresistors for headlight on any of these bikes (only bmw uses them that I know of)
Load resistors for turn signals if you don't want to mess with things too much but nothing else needs them.

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
Before you jump to an LED headlight, have you tried a Sylvania SilverStar Halogen light bulb in you stock headlight?

I put one in my Vstar 650 and Im pretty happy with it. Cant remember if its twice as much light as the stock bulb, the downside is I estimate it will last about 5000 miles (one per year) before the low beam burns out.

·
Super Moderator
4,459 Posts
I'll second the silver star. Been running them for years. When I ride at night with other bikes that have LED I like mine better, the light pattern is better. The reflector behind the bulb make all the difference.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Before you jump to an LED headlight, have you tried a Sylvania SilverStar Halogen light bulb in you stock headlight?
I believe I have not, but if you say it will be significantly brighter, I will definitely try them. I do not want to alter the bike a lot, and as long as there is a way to replace the bulb and as long as there is an easier way to get the adequate light output, I'll definitely try the bulb first. I see there are several kinds of Sylvania Silverstar bulbs, are Ultra okay? https://sylvania-headlights.com/silverstar-ultra-bulbs.html
Or you think zXe or zevo are better?
Thanks for the recommendation.

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
there are two or three "silver star" versions of the bulb

I got the one just above the standard lamp

there are tradeoffs, you would have to get the specs for each one and compare them

but the short version is: the more expensive ones also have a shorter life expectancy. They make the bulb brighter by making the filament hotter, therefor it does not last as long.

Also make sure what you get is not much higher in wattage: if your stock light is 55W I would not go over 65W.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts