Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im new to V Stars so bare with me please. have a 2001 v star 650 custom 7000 miles second owner at best.
starting bike fuel pump turns on when I hit the on button and stops 1/2 to 3 seconds later, then I hit the start button and ride, almost immediately the fuel pump starts it purring while Im riding? Question is should I be hearing the purring noise of a working fuel pump or should it just work quietly. Thanks for any insite. bike rides fine otherwise. :confused:

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,355 Posts
The fuel pump will only run when needed. When you first turn you key on it will run long enough to pressurize the system, then cut off. When you are riding and use fuel the pump will turn on and off as system needs fuel. Sounds like your bike is doing exactly that. My pump sounds more like a clicking noise and not a purr as you described, either way, it's working. Ride often and safe.

·
Registered
5,634 Posts
the reason the 650 has a fuel pump is the bottom of the gas tank is lower than the float bowls in the carbs. With a full tank it might not need to run as often as when the tank is nearly empty.

I actually cant hear my fuel pump when the motor is running, but with my helmet on I cant hardly hear anything.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks to all for your incites, I can fix most things if I know whats wrong BUT I am a POS for diagnosing things. So if you give awards for the most stupid questions ITS ME. Restored two old ironheads in past BASKET cases.
Like my V star but to me they are electrical nightmares. Ironheads are just overgrow lawnmowers Vstars are much more technical but probably much more trouble free? Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
mine doesn't hum it just ticks and i only hear it with the engine off key on, are you sure it's the pump your hearing and not something else, if its clicking not purring when you first turn the key then i doubt it starts purring after it starts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
its a real fast clicking like its tryin to be a cat purr, but got done adjusting valves and will fill up tank and see but yeah its the fuel pump cause when I had everything off I narrowed down the noise and felt the FP moving when I hit the on button I think KCW answer got to it cause tank was real empty just prior to this happening. thanks
-was riding with very little gas for bout 1 week.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts