Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here's my take after the swich to Quicksilver and 20 miles. IT'S EFFING AWESOME! My bike was faster, shifted better, and the chrome shined brighter. It gave me thicker hair and abs of steel. 3 hot chicks followed me home.

Seriously, I do think shifting was less clunky. Will give more feedback after I get some real miles behind me.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
354 Posts
Seriously have about 800 miles on quick silver shifting is good valve tick still there randomly. A friend of mine finally got back in the saddle after his surgery he had a 650 vstar and has issues finding neutral after his oil change to quick silver no issues. I think it's more due to these bikes don't like certain types of oil especially if it's dirty. He traded his bike in so will not see any long term results from him but he did say he will be using quick silver is his new to him super clean 96 road star

·
Registered
473 Posts
LOL, Classic! Since switching to a synthetic oil Ive noticed my bike starts right up after doing a lot of stop and goes, (poker runs). Last season and the season before when it was hot out it would sit there and just crank and crank til about the 5th or 6th time trying. One benefit they say is the engine runs cooler and so far Im a believer. I switch to Mobile 1 V Twin 20-50 synthetic. I also noticed the past couple long rides we've done is it does seems to shift smoother when warmed up. Before it would clunk into the gear I was shifting into, now it just goes in with hardly any noise.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm satisfied. I'll prob stick with it as I'm happy with the bike's performance since changing over from the yamalube and the price is reasonable.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Figured since this thread gets a lot of traffic I would post some long term results. 6 months on this oil and 2500 miles. The random top e d noise that I had after the oil change long gone. No foaming after after long rides. Shifting is still good actually feeling better shifting still then the mobile 1. The only downside my oil filter housing has a small leak nothing major possibly issue with o ring not to worried about it I know the bolts need replaced will do that next oil change. But still happy so I will stick with this oil and save 15 bucks compared to the mobile 1

·
Registered
845 Posts
Glad your posting this thread, I almost forgot about Quicksilver as a last minute crazy decision this summer had me buy a new bike in August, then I saw it in the store this past weekend and now this post.
Man it would be great to have a Blackstone test on this stuff. But I do believe most oils have more in common then not and at this price the syn for bikes is terrific.
Im going to seriously consider it for my winter oil change but at the same time, Im being careful to use oil rated as required by Harley as the bike is under warranty and I do save my receipts for oil and filter.

Harley is a pain in the ass with those requirements, pretty much make it hard to buy anything except for their oil AND 15/40 diesel oil, though they could not do anything if you used motorcycle oil in the 20/50. Anyway, great feedback!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Glad to provide the info I can. I will probably post again when I change the oil in the spring. I can't wait to see if I have any surprises in the oil. Usually I see the normal few metal flakes here and there I have been seeing less as the bike gets up there In mileage.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Thanks, hey, not sure if this makes any difference, but I am crazy about oil and such in all my vehicles for a few decades now (gulp) I started with magnetic plugs on the vstar simply knowing it couldn't hurt pulling the metal out that the filter can't catch and just the fact that it shares the transmission oil with the engine, I was more then surprised how much it took out the first two times, , maybe much of it laying at the bottom of the pan.
But for 10 bucks its like a super extra filter that never has to be replaced, just wipe it down at each oil change. Anyway, they work and since then found out many sports cars have them and have ALWAYS been used in certain marine applications.
I was even more surprised to see that my new Road King came stock from the factory with 3 magnetic plugs, engine, trans and primary and they do not share oil.
Not as powerful as the aftermarket one I bought so I might get some for the Harley, you can buy them many places but I liked what I had from goldplug.com. You just plug in your bike info and they have the size.
The only reason I was sold on the gold plug is, darn they put some strong magnet on their plugs, I'm sure others do, I just don't know who, the OEM Harley ones I am sure do the job but I can't get over the strong magnet on the goldplug.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ok, here's my take after the swich to Quicksilver and 20 miles. IT'S EFFING AWESOME! My bike was faster, shifted better, and the chrome shined brighter. It gave me thicker hair and abs of steel. 3 hot chicks followed me home.

Seriously, I do think shifting was less clunky. Will give more feedback after I get some real miles behind me.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
Gota get me some of that stuff.........:)

·
Registered
332 Posts
He traded his bike in so will not see any long term results from him but he did say he will be using quick silver is his new to him super clean 96 road star
He's either got a Royal Star or he is mistaken about the year.

I'm still incredibly pleased with Mobil 1 VTwin, but I also use $10 oil filters. Maybe I'll give this oil a try next change.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Thanks, hey, not sure if this makes any difference, but I am crazy about oil and such in all my vehicles for a few decades now (gulp) I started with magnetic plugs on the vstar simply knowing it couldn't hurt pulling the metal out that the filter can't catch and just the fact that it shares the transmission oil with the engine, I was more then surprised how much it took out the first two times, , maybe much of it laying at the bottom of the pan.
But for 10 bucks its like a super extra filter that never has to be replaced, just wipe it down at each oil change. Anyway, they work and since then found out many sports cars have them and have ALWAYS been used in certain marine applications.
I was even more surprised to see that my new Road King came stock from the factory with 3 magnetic plugs, engine, trans and primary and they do not share oil.
Not as powerful as the aftermarket one I bought so I might get some for the Harley, you can buy them many places but I liked what I had from goldplug.com. You just plug in your bike info and they have the size.
The only reason I was sold on the gold plug is, darn they put some strong magnet on their plugs, I'm sure others do, I just don't know who, the OEM Harley ones I am sure do the job but I can't get over the strong magnet on the goldplug.

Never thought about looking for a magnetic plug for my bike it can't hurt. Actually not impressed with the bolts that are on these from the facotry drain plug included. They are all starting to round off I suppose when I change the oil in the spring I can also get a new drain plug as well. I just hate the fact 11k on the bike 7 oil changes and all the bolts are wallowed out even when I used the correct metric allen wrenches

·
Registered
332 Posts
I just hate the fact 11k on the bike 7 oil changes and all the bolts are wallowed out even when I used the correct metric allen wrenches
Do you really change your oil every 1500 miles or so? That's more frequently than anyone I have every heard of before. Does the oil even look much darker at replacement than original?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Going on 3 months now with quicksilver 20-50 full synthetic in my 1300 and no issues. I didn't get to ride near as much as I wanted since changing the oil in July but thinking about fresh oil and filter for the winter months. Since it's reasonably priced, it won't break the bank.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Do you really change your oil every 1500 miles or so? That's more frequently than anyone I have every heard of before. Does the oil even look much darker at replacement than original?
I change oil like I change my underware frequently as 2 times a day lol.

I got this bike new .3 miles on it. So I did the 500 mile initial change then once every year after bike is 6 years old. Actually I've got 8 oil and filter changes on it because one I only ran for a few weeks I was not happy with the oil and that was standard valvoline motorcycle oil. It was just super foamy after a few miles and I do a lot of hard mountain riding. It's good practice to change the oil at least yearly regardless of mileage.

·
Registered
845 Posts
...thinking about fresh oil and filter for the winter months. Since it's reasonably priced, it won't break the bank.
I always changed the oil at the start of winter, its a good practice, (requirement on 4 cylinder marine engines) sometimes non use is worse then use as condensation builds up on the parts and in the crankcase. I get to ride all winter here but there are some cold weeks, maybe even up to close to a month, that the bike doesnt get started.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I change oil like I change my underware frequently as 2 times a day lol...
.... Actually I've got 8 oil and filter changes on it because one I only ran for a few weeks I was not happy with the oil and that was standard valvoline motorcycle oil. It was just super foamy after a few miles and I do a lot of hard mountain riding. It's good practice to change the oil at least yearly regardless of mileage.
This is soooooo ironic! To this day, my, without question favorite oil of all time is Valvoline 4 stroke 20/50 motorcycle oil. Its just goes to say whatever makes us happy.
I find this oil holds its viscosity very well and I have a fantastic UOA on it from my Vstar 1300.
This oil also met and beat a lot of oil in Amsoils Study of motorcycle oils (2009) it was only 1 of 2 conventional oils against a whole bunch of synthetics. Anyway, Im a Valvoline fan now there VR1 Racing oils also do very well.
Anyway, not debating with you in any way, shape or form, bottom line, lots of great oils out there and we choose what works for us.

Just to back up a little why I feel this way, here is the lab report on the oil from my bike, done by Blackstone..
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=A244A682751E763D!146&authkey=!AFfKWSW4N25JiUs&ithint=file%2cpdf

·
Registered
354 Posts
This is soooooo ironic! To this day, my, without question favorite oil of all time is Valvoline 4 stroke 20/50 motorcycle oil. Its just goes to say whatever makes us happy.
I find this oil holds its viscosity very well and I have a fantastic UOA on it from my Vstar 1300.
This oil also met and beat a lot of oil in Amsoils Study of motorcycle oils (2009) it was only 1 of 2 conventional oils against a whole bunch of synthetics. Anyway, Im a Valvoline fan now there VR1 Racing oils also do very well.
Anyway, not debating with you in any way, shape or form, bottom line, lots of great oils out there and we choose what works for us.

Just to back up a little why I feel this way, here is the lab report on the oil from my bike, done by Blackstone..
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=A244A682751E763D!146&authkey=!AFfKWSW4N25JiUs&ithint=file%2cpdf
I love valvoline it is my favorite conventional oil but it just did not do well in the 1100. I've ran valvoline in my cars and trucks for years with no problems no problem. I replaced a 350 in a customers 72 chevy about 9 years ago. He ran valvoline from the start changed oil every 3k. This engine was at 198000 when the timing chain wore out and instead of a chain he wanted a new crate engine. Super nice truck wish I had a pic. Inside the old engine it was super clean no sludge build up bearings were still in tolerance just with valvoline. That engine eventually made it into another truck after a overhaul and a valave job and is still running around town today.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Possible bad news now I don't very much trust the people that work at walmart but I went down today to get oil and a filter for my yearly oil change and walked back to the oil isle turn the corner and no quick silver. I went over to the atv motorcycle oil section figured maybe they moved it nope! In panic mode going up and down the random isles I find 3 baskets full of quick silver. I dig through pull out 1 20 50 jug before the guy comes to take the basket away. He tells me they are no longer going to stock the product. Super sadness.

I plan on changing the oil and filter this weekend see how it looks after a year in service.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts