Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
So decided to do the oil change today i put 3100 miles on the oil since last April when it was changed. It came out super clean again not to many miles on the bike and owned it since it was new. Metal particals seem to be still there but again fewer then I remember last oil change. Again sad to see this going away from the store but I'm sure it will be online.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I did exactly that, went online, thought I'd stock up on a couple of gallon jugs. Only able to buy one at a time for store pickup which I thought was strange. Tried various locations with same result so either all these locations only have one gallon jug in stock or intentionally limiting purchase quantity.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Found some in my local wally world yesterday. They had a whole shelf section with nothing but quicksilver products. Maybe it was just your local store that was getting rid of it.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Found some in my local wally world yesterday. They had a whole shelf section with nothing but quicksilver products. Maybe it was just your local store that was getting rid of it.
Ditto, picked up a gallon yesterday. Lots of quicksikver products on the shelf.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I like it as well as anything I've tried. I'm gonna use it in the summer since its a little heavier weight. Good price for someone that likes to change their oil frequently and OCD.....like me. Haha

·
Registered
609 Posts
Just finished my oil change with Quicksilver 20/50. Then took her out for about 40 miles. Definitely feeling that upper-engine noise is reduced and shifts are cleaner versus the Mobil 1 20/50 I was running before.

It's a slight difference. The difference between "really good" and "really good + a hair more"... I'd not pay a premium for it, but so long as it's the same price as Mobil 1, I think I'll stick with it.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I have not been able to ride my bike to much since the last change but. Good news is walmart has placed it back in stock. Don't know why they removed it for a few months but I will take it. Still a lot less expensive this way even compared to most Dino juice. The oil leak is gone as expected it was the o ring. I wish it would stop being so damn cold and wet outside.

·
Registered
65 Posts
On Saturday, I changed the oil using QuickSilver 20w-50. I had been using Rotella 15W-40 with no issues. Motor does seem to be a little quieter. I haven't noticed any other difference. QuickSilver is twice the price on the Rotella.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Price to be expected as Quicksilver is a synthetic, Rotella 15/40 conventional.
Yup and motorcycle spec Dino juice is 8 bucks a quart

·
Registered
845 Posts
Yup and motorcycle spec Dino juice is 8 bucks a quart
True, but in this one case the Quicksilver Syn Motorcycle oil is just $6.25 a quart which is a nice price if one wants a syn.

Also the Valvoline 4 stroke 20/50 conventional motorcycle oil is a great oil at $4.00 in Walmarts or $5 in autostores.

and yes for sure, if you only need/want a 40 weight, Rotella 15/40 or any of the other HEDOs price cant be beat.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Since changing to Quicksilver, I have noticed several times where the clutch has slipped (was jumpy / grabby but not a consistent slide type slip) immediately after starting out on a ride leaving the house under hard acceleration. This happened after the bike has sat for a week or more. After the bike ran a short time (10 - 15 minutes) circulating the oil, no more slipping clutch. Has anyone else had this?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Since changing to Quicksilver, I have noticed several times where the clutch has slipped (was jumpy / grabby but not a consistent slide type slip) immediately after starting out on a ride leaving the house under hard acceleration. This happened after the bike has sat for a week or more. After the bike ran a short time (10 - 15 minutes) circulating the oil, no more slipping clutch. Has anyone else had this?

Negative I would think you would have noticed that with the rotella? How long do you let the bike warm up before you ride? I would think one would notice less clutch slippage issues since this oil contains the proper additive package for wet clutch operation.

I know a lot of people who ran automotive spec oil in wet clutch applications and had issues after. To each their own I ran it in my shovel head but would not add it to my star unless i had no other options.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Round 3 with Quicksilver today hopefully... Ordered a kn-145 filter did not have any o rings in it. This is my first time with the k&n not sure if they just dont come with o-rings of what.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Ran the QS for a year, no problems.

But went back to good ole dino-juice last oil change (last month).

Given the cost differential and that I change oil annually whether it needs it or not (low-speed, low-mileage riding), it just didn't make sense to pay double+ for the synthetic.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Just got done with the oil change. Oil looked great still only about 2000 miles since last change slightly over a year ago. Less particals then last time no issues except I went to the dealer today for a scooter mirror and fell I love with about 3 new bikes. Lol

·
Registered
23 Posts
Can anyone that's used this for an extended period of time chime in and let me know if there's any long term negative effects? I changed my oil last year using yamalube but it's not as easily accessible as QS.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 41 Posts