Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all

My name is Cory and I am from Atlanta, GA. The reason for my post here is to first introduce myself, and then also inquire about how wise it would be to move from an R1 to a v-star.
As many sportbike riders who switch over, I would like to turn the v-star into a bobber.

Reasons to Sell the R1 for to get the V-Star
-sell and get $$, buy a cheaper/older v-starto turn into a bobber and pocket the spare couple grand. and man oh man, I really want another bobber to cruise around on in the coming nice weather this season. I had a vulcan 800 but it was terribly slow on the highway
-bike is getting older which (currently 19k miles) = more problems will develop which = more $$ for maintenance
-I would like to work on the V-star with my own two hands and I think working on a twin engine is easier than some advanced 4cyl sportbike.
-I would like to do the: bobber conversion, get 2 into 1 pipes, cams, intake kit, carbs, high compression pistons, old school tires, the whole nine. My inspiration is below

Reasons I'm Having Doubts
-I will miss the speed!
-I will miss the speed!
-I will miss the speed! (the speed limits here in GA are typically 55-65 but everyone, including police, consistently do 80) Is the v-star 1100 capable at those speeds? Can I pass, speed up, get around people if I need to? I am sure if will be after the engine work
-The v-star I get that I turn into a bobber will be nowhere near as fast but I will enjoy working on it I am sure
-When I ride the bike to work when weather permits, the fuel injected r1 is easier to just start and go so I don't disturb the neighborhood with noise when I leave at 645am. The cruiser/bobber I will have to let sit and warm for a minute or so.

And lastly...how do these 1100 motors hold up? I got a 2001 1100 lined up that I talked the guy down to 2800...the downside is that it has 22000 miles. Is that too many miles to do motor work on?

I am sorry if I harassed you guys with too many questions...but I just want to make the right decision when I comes to expensive toys :) Annnnd as much as I'd like to...I can only choose one or the other. Yes I know it is ideal to have both :( wife says no

All the best

Cory G

·
Registered
434 Posts
Cory, I don't have a lot of answers for you but I know the 1100 can keep up with that speed and seems to be a solid engine. I don't think you will need to let the bike warm up all that much depending on the weather. 20K miles is really not all that much on a metric cruiser so if you really want the bike and like the price, I wouldn't let that scare me away. All the best man!
Steve

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've got the same dilemma. trading my r6 for a road star. I had a shadow600 that I bobbed out, and I miss it. Also my girlfriend wants to do some 2up trips. One of the reason I got rid of the bobber was because I couldn't corner like the dirt bikes I grew up on, then I fell in love with the yzf highway speed and maneuverability. Still, I will most likely get a roadie in the near future. Good luck.
Joe

·
Super Moderator
13,073 Posts
the 1100 should have no problems getting up to 100mph and cruise nicely at 80. these yamaha engines should get at least 75K-100K miles on them, but it mostly depends on how well you maintain them. on that 10 year old bike, find out as much as you can about previous maintenance performed on it. with it being at a dealer, that might be hard to do since they want to sell it to you rather than tell you about any problems it may have had or even know about them or know how it was maintained by previous owner.

·
Registered
317 Posts
1100 should be fine to Bob and get you to 80+, a challenge would be a Roadliner Bobbed , not sure I've seen one of those, but 116 CU will get you to 100+ in a blink!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
It depends on what all u want to do. If it's just carb jets and pipes it shouldn't hurt. It. However if you're planning on doing a big bore kit or high compression pistons etc. You might want to do some reinforcing, crank bearings and so on, while ur working on it, kind of preventative maintenance.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i am thinking high compression pistons later on...but mainly cams (maybe valve springs), 2-1 pipes, carbs, air kit....pretty much most of the stuff offered by pacific coast star

·
Registered
18 Posts
The springs would be the reinforcement for the cams. If you're gonna do the pistons u may want stronger rods and crank bearings. I went to school for HDs so im just suggesting what I would do.

·
Registered
570 Posts
You have some geat ideas for yuor new bobber. I don´t see how you are gooing to pocket any money, though, with all the options. I run an 1100 and know that nothing is cheap these days to convert.
We will all be looking forward to you continuing journey thgough you new 1100 into a bobber, Go for the good stuff, my man.

·
Registered
18 Posts
For the most part v twins last. Because they're not high performance. Same with car engines. High performance needs more maintenance, if properly maintained they will last but not as long as a properly maintained "low performance" engine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
i am pretty accustomed to maintaining high performance vehicles...i just want to make sure i am squeezing the most power out of this thing without grenading the motor. hopefully i can make this thing relatively quick enough to bring a smile to my face

the buyer for my r1 is coming this evening to take her away :( sad to see her go. in the near future i will upgrade to a newer r1 with the new crossplane muscle car sounding motors.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts