Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my stock brake pads squeal. they squeal a lot. there is plenty of pad left, and i've cleaned and deglazed the rotor, sanded the pads, but the squeal always comes back. so i was looking at getting a new set of pads, but though maybe i'll go a bit further and upgrade the entire system.

so, i spent the last month or so working on this project at a leisurely pace. got a pair of left and right blue-dot calipers from a first generation r6. i disassembled them, cleaned them, removed and cleaned each piston, seal, etc. the left side, i had for extra parts (seals, pistons).

once finished cleaning completely and reassembling the caliper, i sprayed with vht caliper paint, in a silver colour. i let that sit for a few days to cure, then baked in a toaster over for 1 hour at 225 F, as per the instructions. it sat like that until today, when i completed the installation.

i drained and removed the stock brake line, then the stock caliper. i bolted the new caliper on with new pads, and installed a new stainless brake line, that i had made as well. once it was all bolted up, it took a while to re prime the master cylinder, but once i had that, bleeding the system was pretty painless.

i'm eager to take it out for a spin later today and test it all out. the r6 caliper is much lighter than the stock floating 2 piston caliper.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
So after riding around a bit yesterday and today, I'm impressed with the brake swap. The braking isn't more powerful per say, but the feel is so much better, and you can work the front brake much better. It's much more linear rather than the off/on feeling brake before. I'm pleased with it for sure, for the little cost and mostly time for the project, was well worth it.

Sent from my Blackberry Priv using Tapatalk

1 - 2 of 2 Posts