Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't think I have a problem here, but I would like to know how this works.

08 vstar liquid cooled. Doesn't appear to be running hot - temp light never comes on. But the rad fan never seems to turn on. I've left it idling in extreme heat. Lots of heat coming from it, but how hot exactly does it need to get to activate the fan?

Thanks for any input!
Ian

·
Registered
340 Posts
I don't know, but once mine is up to (roughly) normal temp my fan will kick on at pretty much every stop on a hot day.
I hope someone has an answer, I'd like to know too.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have the same thing on my 1300. But here in GA we have been in triple digits and when I came back from a ride I heard something funny. Engine was running so turned it off at the kill switch not the key and I'll be the fan was turning away for about three minutes then cut off. Only times I have seen it run. I thought it might be btoke but now know different. I am sure the ambient temps outside and engine heat play a part in whether it comes on or not.

Bill

·
Registered
424 Posts
I used to have a KLR650, and later a 250 Ninja. I don't ever remember hearing the radiator fan run while I was riding or stopped at a light, but then I do wear earplugs while riding. When I parked the bikes in my garage it was pretty usual to hear the fans for a couple or three minutes after shutdown, even with the ignition switch turned OFF. I do not use the kill switch, other than to test it very infrequently. Every so often I will hear the gas tank vent as heat rises off the hot engine, too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update: Finally caught the fan spinning yesterday. It was warm (close to 90F) and I let it idle a bit after a ride. Fan started up about 15 seconds after I pulled in.

I learned that there's some sort of mechanical temperature sensor in the rad (or connected housing). Like a thermometer, once it reaches a certain temp the fluid expands enough and closes a circuit activating the fan. I'm sure there is some factory-set value at which the switch turns on, but it's a blind guess without a temp gauge.

Always good to go thru these exercises - one day it might be useful!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Keep in mind the 1300 is also a air-cooled bike too. So the radiator fan really was designed more for that stop and go heavy traffic in hot weather. I have never seen mine come on in the wild, just verified it during diagnostic checks. The Ivan's ECU flash also sets the temp the fan comes on at at a lower temp.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts