Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been working on my install in my spare time. It's a 600w amp with speakers mounted next to my mirrors, the Sirius module on my handle bars, and I decided to put the antenna on the trunk. I decided to go with a truck antenna, all bike antennas had questionable(read: horrible) reviews.

This is the antenna I chose:

This is the radio mount I chose:

This is the sub/amp I chose:

I already had the sirius radio laying around.

I used some heavy duty speaker wire and a 40a relay from Advanced Auto Parts. Also some heat shield tape. I used a male to female 3.5mm wire at 6' length to attach to the 3.5mm jack out of the amp, then put another male to male 3.5mm out the back into my saddle bags along with the volume control. My only complaint is the volume is VERY touchy, and the volume control wire is really short, with no real way to extend it. However it's threaded so I may drill a hole in my side cover and poke it through, then put a nut on it, so I can just reach down and crank the volume as needed.

In testing, the speakers get way louder than necessary. Only about 1/4 volume and they're almost to loud to stand next to.

Here's the picture of the install of the amp under the seat. I took a license plate and some metal sheers, and cut a piece with a tab off the side that I folded down, that slips between the battery and metal piece to hold it in place, then the rest of it just sits perfectly.

Here's the antenna. I went with the back instead of the handlebar. I'm not sure how I feel about it, but I'm not sure of a better place. Maybe I'll put some flags on to make it not stand out so much.

Here's the radio and the speakers. Iphone mount will go on the left side.

If anyone has ideas or feedback I'd love to hear it.

·
Registered
621 Posts
That's a pretty handy bit of work you did there. How's the sound? I've been kicking around the idea of adding speakers to my bike, but all the systems from Kuryakyn and Cycle Sounds and those guys cost around $400 or more. I'm not about to drop that kind of money on it, but if I can piece it together like you did for a reasonable price tag and get good sound out of it, I think it'd be worthwhile.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Standing next to the bike, I can't turn the volume up all the way because it's just to loud. I can get the volume up to about half, which is more than sufficient for highway riding. As far as quality goes, it sounds great, however doesn't have much low end base. If on a scale 0 is pure base and 10 is pure high's, the speakers audio range would be 6-10. Floor standing speakers in a home theater system would be 4-9, so the speakers don't hit lows very well at all.

However I can clearly make out Madonna's voice from my neighbors house at 1/4 volume. Or should I say, my neighbor can clearly make out Madonna's voice from hims house...

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wanted an FM tuner, but I had the satellite radio sitting around, and I couldn't find a stand-alone fm tuner with a nice display that was worth anything at all. I really tried, but there was nothing. With Sirius, however, I can swap out any faceplate onto the dock. But my faceplate has a lifetime subscription, so I'm probably going to stick with it. The only real option for an FM display is a full head unit with fairing, but I didn't want to go that route.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Cool, thanks for the info. I'd probably just use my iPod anyway (and maybe my phone), so the FM tuner doesn't matter much to me. Just the amp and speakers, plus some way to mount my iPod. Looks like I could get into that for cheaper than I thought.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know about ipod, but iphone mounts are pretty cheap. I also have the 3.5mm that I can plug into my iphone as well. The amp will work off either input, one is hardwired and one is a jack. The hardwired one goes to the sirius and hte other one for my iphone.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Did you relocate the tool kit or is it in a different spot on yours? On the '09 its located just behind the battery. And are you still happy with it? I just purchased this speaker/amp combo. Thanks for sharing! I recently also purchased the tour pac/trunk after seeing your pics of install. I will probably mount to luggage rack for easier install/removal as I only plan to use it on trips.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts