Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am looking at the Cobra Speedster Swept Exhaust System for my Raider. I was doing some reading that Yamaha has some sort of valve controlled by the computer in the exhaust. What is up with this and putting on the exhaust I want? 2015 year bike.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
So I am looking at the Cobra Speedster Swept Exhaust System for my Raider. I was doing some reading that Yamaha has some sort of valve controlled by the computer in the exhaust. What is up with this and putting on the exhaust I want? 2015 year bike.
exhaust ultimate power valve or EXUP valve controls the back pressure by opening or closing the exhaust flow for the best torque, google "exup by yamaha" to learn about it

·
Registered
35 Posts
You will have to unhook the cables from the exup valve to change out the exhaust. Remove the cables completely, eave the exup valve motor on the bike and install your new exhaust. The exup motor will still operate as the computer tells it to, but it won’t be hooked up to your new exhaust. There will be no error codes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
You will have to unhook the cables from the exup valve to change out the exhaust. Remove the cables completely, eave the exup valve motor on the bike and install your new exhaust. The exup motor will still operate as the computer tells it to, but it won’t be hooked up to your new exhaust. There will be no error codes.
You forgot to mention that the O2 Sensor is connected to the exhaust. It will need to be removed, as well. Now, with the EXUP valve and the O2 Sensor gone, the computer will not be able to properly regulate fuel and oxygen ratio. So the engine will start to run sluggishly. A fuel processor will then be required.

If you must change out the exhaust, at least consider Ivan's ECU re-flash (google it). Contact Ivan, and let him know what you want to do, and he will recommend the best set up. Of course, the ECU re-flash is the main component to ensure that your engine is with the best performance, regardless of what exhaust you use.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The aftermarket exhaust "SHOULD" have a spot for the oxygen sensor. even if it doesnt I can put in an 02 bung. That is not a big deal. I was just trying to learn about the exup valve. Thanks for the non troll answers. BTW I do not ride or drive a vehicle where the CEL is on. That is why I do all my research before jumping into a bunch of changes.

This was in the Q and A section for the exhaust I want.
Do these exhaust have the 02 sensor bung ?
Answer Question By: mglii
If your machine was originally equipped with oxygen sensors from the factory, then yes - this Cobra exhaust would include a provision for fitting those in roughly the same position as the stock exhaust.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have Freedom Performance exhaust on mine and it came with a bung for the O2 sensor.
My guess is most do. It also came with a plug in case you do run a fuel processor and want to go without the sensor installed. The fuel processor should come with a plug-in to replace the O2 sensor to complete the circuit and eliminate a false code being thrown.
Good advice from Towers as well. Check into Ivan’s reflash...it’s worth every penny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok so ECU has been shipped to Ivan, Cobra Speedster exhaust is ordered. Damn this good deal on the bike is getting expensive fast.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You aren't going to regret it....let us know what you think:smile:
The only downside, and it is a small one, I have not even put 150 miles on the bike. I have not gone full throttle with it yet, so as far as the butt-o-meter I will not know the difference. I am just hoping to get somewhere near what his dyno graphs show. Almost 130 ft lbs of torque.

·
Registered
61 Posts
You forgot to mention that the O2 Sensor is connected to the exhaust. It will need to be removed, as well. Now, with the EXUP valve and the O2 Sensor gone, the computer will not be able to properly regulate fuel and oxygen ratio. So the engine will start to run sluggishly. A fuel processor will then be required.

If you must change out the exhaust, at least consider Ivan's ECU re-flash (google it). Contact Ivan, and let him know what you want to do, and he will recommend the best set up. Of course, the ECU re-flash is the main component to ensure that your engine is with the best performance, regardless of what exhaust you use.
Cobra Swepts have an O2 sensor bung. Regarding the Exup, removing the cables is all that is needed - had no effect on my bikes performance. And finally, you won't need a fuel processor if you do Ivan's flash, and Ivan recommends disconnecting the O2 sensor.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’m a firm believer in “Loud pipes save lives”. With that being said, what’s the best option, an after market system or removing the baffles from the stock setup? I do like the look of the stock pipes. I’ve seen some videos on how to remove the baffles so I’m looking for feedback on both options.

·
Super Moderator
13,052 Posts
the only reason to remove the baffles on the stock pipe is if money is a major concern. you may get more sound out of it, but you're not likely to gain any performance and could likely hinder performance instead. the stock system has been engineered to perform for this specific motor and bike.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I figured there could be a tuning issue by modifying the factory pipes as opposed to buying an aftermarket setup that's tuned to the design. I just like the way the factory pipes look.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts