Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is only one thing missing on the Raider is a built in tach! Been looking for add on tach that fits and looks like it belongs on the bike. Pro-one makes a nice one for Roadstars and V-stars, but not or Raiders. Anyone have one on their Raiders?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
Yeah the Raider needs a tach! And too bad that hump in the handlebar prevents normal center-mounting of typical tachs. That Cobra tach looks good though!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
SunPro Tach

I wanted a tach that was off the shelf, 2”-3” in diameter, mountable to some part of the handlebar top clamp, 0-6,000 rpms and less than $100.

A Sunpro Tach II ($30 at Autozone) and a Baker Electrionix Tachometer Signal Divider (TSDr-x4, $46) fit those parameters.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
I wanted a tach that was off the shelf, 2”-3” in diameter, mountable to some part of the handlebar top clamp, 0-6,000 rpms and less than $100.

A Sunpro Tach II ($30 at Autozone) and a Baker Electrionix Tachometer Signal Divider (TSDr-x4, $46) fit those parameters.
That sounds about like what I am looking for, was it difficult to wire in?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
That sounds about like what I am looking for, was it difficult to wire in?
Here's how I did it:

  1. Cut the curved base off the tach mount. The package came with an adaptor to mount the tach on a horizontal surface. However, it sat to high.
  2. Drilled two #6 clearance holes in the tach bracket and corresponding 6x32 tapped holes in the handlebar top clamp.
  3. Used a faucet washer to plug the opening around the wire cable exiting the back of the tach.
  4. Added shrink tubing to extend the cable into the headlight bucket.
  5. The cable was routed down through the cable guide for the brake line, then through the narrow cable guide under the “T” before entering the headlight.
  6. Once in the headlight the cable was routed up the left side and through the grey cable clamp.
  7. Once through the cable clamp, it was routed over the bracket on the back side of the headlight.
  8. The tach is capable of 4-6-8 cylinders. I set it at 4.
  9. The TSDr-x4 was ordered fixed at: pulse times 4 to replicate a 4-cylinder engine.
  10. Since the TSDr-x4 is 2-1/4” x 1-3/8” x 5/8” I installed it behind the plastic “ear” on the right side of the headlight.
  11. Power for the tach and TSDr is supplied by the auxiliary plug at the base of the headlight.
  12. The light for the tach is supplied by the low beam headlight. (I used the high beam during the day.)
  13. The green tach pulse wire was sheath in vacuum tubing and run through the right side neck cover and along the main wiring bundle, dropping down through the coil mount.
  14. Fashioned a “Y” to connect the coil, coil trigger and tach pulse wire.
  15. All wire connections were hard wired and soldered.
The tach’s action is smooth.

There are other tachs about the same size and cheaper, but they didn’t fit the parameters I wanted.

See: Glow Shift http://www.glowshiftdirect.com.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
I wanted a tach that was off the shelf, 2”-3” in diameter, mountable to some part of the handlebar top clamp, 0-6,000 rpms and less than $100.

A Sunpro Tach II ($30 at Autozone) and a Baker Electrionix Tachometer Signal Divider (TSDr-x4, $46) fit those parameters.
That looks great, & a great price too! But is it weatherproof / outdoor rated?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Here's how I did it:

  1. Cut the curved base off the tach mount. The package came with an adaptor to mount the tach on a horizontal surface. However, it sat to high.
  2. Drilled two #6 clearance holes in the tach bracket and corresponding 6x32 tapped holes in the handlebar top clamp.
  3. Used a faucet washer to plug the opening around the wire cable exiting the back of the tach.
  4. Added shrink tubing to extend the cable into the headlight bucket.
  5. The cable was routed down through the cable guide for the brake line, then through the narrow cable guide under the “T” before entering the headlight.
  6. Once in the headlight the cable was routed up the left side and through the grey cable clamp.
  7. Once through the cable clamp, it was routed over the bracket on the back side of the headlight.
  8. The tach is capable of 4-6-8 cylinders. I set it at 4.
  9. The TSDr-x4 was ordered fixed at: pulse times 4 to replicate a 4-cylinder engine.
  10. Since the TSDr-x4 is 2-1/4” x 1-3/8” x 5/8” I installed it behind the plastic “ear” on the right side of the headlight.
  11. Power for the tach and TSDr is supplied by the auxiliary plug at the base of the headlight.
  12. The light for the tach is supplied by the low beam headlight. (I used the high beam during the day.)
  13. The green tach pulse wire was sheath in vacuum tubing and run through the right side neck cover and along the main wiring bundle, dropping down through the coil mount.
  14. Fashioned a “Y” to connect the coil, coil trigger and tach pulse wire.
  15. All wire connections were hard wired and soldered.
The tach’s action is smooth.

There are other tachs about the same size and cheaper, but they didn’t fit the parameters I wanted.

See: Glow Shift http://www.glowshiftdirect.com.
Great information umpire, thanks!:cool:

On the weather proofing, a good silicone treatment where the wires come in and the cup and unit joins may do the job.:confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Weather proofing as you described could/should be done. I just didn't want to use silicone since the chances of me driving in the rain is zero.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top