Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
The Motorcycle Community might be the most judge mental MFers in the World

Just joining the Motorcycle family six months ago I had no idea how much hate is spread over so many areas and it's just ridiculous

Cruiser -vs- crotch rocket ? I don't care what you ride it's your thing not mine so I don't give two ..... about trying to do a 120 and not enjoying the open road. I hit 100 yesterday and was just relaxing and enjoying the scenery

Harley -vs- Import - $$$ come on ? Riding a Harley doesn't make you special. I know a lot of broke jobless people with them. I personally chose my Vstar because I want to know it's going to start when am ready and don't want to spend my time working on it.

Hand wave or not ? - I will wave at a moped if they are out enjoying the day. I just want to see everyone enjoying themselves and being safe

I don't need a club - I have a family and
am old and tired lol

Why can't we just love riding bikes and wish everyone a safe and fun trip ?

Anyone have any stories of their own to share ?

·
Super Moderator
4,608 Posts
Very valid observation. I checked out many forums until calling this forum home. The core posters here only care about enjoyment of riding and assisting others in keeping their bike road worthy. Many forums you will always get a standard answer to a question, "use the search function". At times you will see that here but normally the issue is addressed and maybe a link to previous answers. If you look at the forum garage you will see many members here have different makes of bikes and found this forum via The Star / Yamaha brand. Some no longer have the bike that brought them here but they stay due to friends and experiences posted here. We have the "Lounge" threads here to talk about non bike related stuff that can be an interesting read at times. So pull up a chair and stay with one of the best motorcycle forums on the old interweb.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
There is a real paradox with motorcycle riders.

If I were to stick one label on a rider it would be Rugged Individual. The characterization of someone with a machine that is as simple as it can be to get you from A to Z and everywhere in between, willing to face the elements and the wind, choosing his own path on the roads, setting his own schedule, and enjoying the experience of riding just as much, if not more, than the need to be somewhere else.

With that set of requirements:

Do I care what my motorcycle looks like? No. All I can see when Im riding is the mirrors and the headlight bucket. Im not looking at my bike while Im riding it, Im looking where I want it to go.

Do I care what other people think when they see me ride by? No. I only care about the thoughts going thru my mind. There are 7 billion people on Earth, and Im not spending any time or any money trying to alter the thoughts flowing thru anyone elses head at any given instant.

Do I care what I look like? Yes, no and yes... When I decided to get my MC license I was going to get black HD Iron, black leather jacket, black helmet. After taking the MSF course I got a red textile jacket, a red and silver motorcycle, I have a silver metal flake helmet that is retro reflective, and I wear a florescent work vest with retro reflective bars on it over my riding jacket. I dont care if other people think I look cool or sexy or tough, or if I fit their image of what a rider should look like. I just want everyone to SEE ME all the time, esp if I ever end up on the pavement away from my MC.

Does it matter what bike I ride? No. I have several cousins who ride Harleys. My grandfather had a HD back in the 1920s. There is a strong family connection there. When I got my license after taking the MSF course I went to a HD dealer with $3000 cash in my pocket to get a NEW Iron sportster. The dealer would not let me take any bike for a test ride. That was my first exposure to the HD "attitude". I ended up getting my Vstar 650 used for $3300 cash, later found out it is THE most reliable MC that was on the market at the time, and just by pure luck I could not be happier. Now I have two vstar bikes. Every time I have wanted to ride the bike has always fired right up, Ive never been stranded anywhere, never had to tow the bike anywhere.

The motorcycle wave is pretty much undefined. When I first started riding I thought it was pretty cool. Very seldom does another rider leave you hanging. Personally when I wave to another rider Im thinking one thing "we are all out here in this soup together, and I got your back brother, no matter what". If I see a bike on the side of the road I always stop, no matter what Im riding or driving. When I wave Im showing my nature. If they wave or dont wave, they are showing their nature. Thats all.

I have joked with others here, when someone starts throwing a hissy fit over something stupid, and tell them "you are going to have to turn in your bronze Rugged Individual Rider pin if you keep acting that way. You are correct, sometimes motorcycle riders get all emotional over the stupidest things.

Need to draw a flow chart:
1 does your motorcycle run?
2 is it snowing?
3 go for a ride

I ride because I like to ride.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is a real paradox with motorcycle riders.

If I were to stick one label on a rider it would be Rugged Individual. The characterization of someone with a machine that is as simple as it can be to get you from A to Z and everywhere in between, willing to face the elements and the wind, choosing his own path on the roads, setting his own schedule, and enjoying the experience of riding just as much, if not more, than the need to be somewhere else.

With that set of requirements:

Do I care what my motorcycle looks like? No. All I can see when Im riding is the mirrors and the headlight bucket. Im not looking at my bike while Im riding it, Im looking where I want it to go.

Do I care what other people think when they see me ride by? No. I only care about the thoughts going thru my mind. There are 7 billion people on Earth, and Im not spending any time or any money trying to alter the thoughts flowing thru anyone elses head at any given instant.

Do I care what I look like? Yes, no and yes... When I decided to get my MC license I was going to get black HD Iron, black leather jacket, black helmet. After taking the MSF course I got a red textile jacket, a red and silver motorcycle, I have a silver metal flake helmet that is retro reflective, and I wear a florescent work vest with retro reflective bars on it. I dont care if other people think I look cool or sexy or tough, or if I fit there image of what a rider should look like. I just want everyone to SEE ME all the time.

Does it matter what bike I ride? No. I have several cousins who ride Harleys. My grandfather had a HD back in the 1920s. There is a strong family connection there. When I got my license after taking the MSF course I went to a HD dealer with $3000 cash in my pocket to get a NEW Iron sportster. The dealer would not let me take any bike for a test ride. That was my first exposure to the HD "attitude". I ended up getting my Vstar 650 used for $3300 cash, later found out it is THE most reliable MC that was on the market at the time, and just by pure luck I could not be happier. Now I have two vstar bikes. Everytime I have wanted to ride the bike has always fired right up, Ive never been stranded anywhere, never had to tow the bike anywhere.

The motorcycle wave is pretty much undefined. When I first started riding I thought it was pretty cool. Very seldom does another rider 'leave you hanging". Personally when I wave to another rider Im thinking one thing "we are all out here in this soup together, and I got your back brother, no matter what". If I see a bike on the side of the road I always stop, no matter what Im riding or driving. When I wave Im showing my nature. If they wave or dont wave, they are showing their nature. Thats all.

I have joked with others here, when someone starts throwing a hissy fit over something stupid, and tell them "you are going to have to turn in your bronze Rugged Individual Rider pin if you keep acting that way.

I ride because I like to ride.
Absolutely my thoughts just stated in a way better way.

I didn't start riding looking to belong, just been wanting to for years so the Wifey and I could enjoy the open road without the cage. Really never thought about the other side of it

Great read KCW and I've never thought twice about my vstar, absolutely love it

·
Registered
146 Posts
Great posts, guys.

I started riding at age 70 - met a lot of riders at our local coffeeshop where riders gather to meet their own kind and came across many types - I'm riding a Yamaha 650 and ride year round so didn't really fit the sun and shine crowd.

Migrated to the dusty group who spend most time riding whatever they can afford and putting on miles.

Yesterday was sunny, +5ºC (41ºF) and only saw two of the dusty gang - today it wasn't as warm but still managed an hour and a half and saw no one - the ride was still great.

The old timers just shake their heads at me but I think they forget the fun of the challenge.

As for the sun and sun shiney types - mostly HDs - they didn't buy bikes to get them covered with winter time road grime - as if the grime doesn't wash off in the rain come springtime - oh, well.

Never really considered myself a rugged individual - wife says I'm bats**t crazy :smile::smile::smile::smile:

·
Registered
247 Posts
I hear all of you. I had a 40 year riding hiatus and now have have been riding solid for the last 13 years. My wife thought I too had "gone around the bend" few times...prolly since I've ridden at 12 degrees f and enjoyed the ride. Funny how when the temps went down the HD riders disappear....me....I just love the ride....

And I'll wave if I see a two wheeled anything....

and id I see a bike by the roadside...I;ll stop and see if they are ok....been there a couple of times myself...

all in all,,,,enjoy the ride and give help to riders...

T

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
Never really considered myself a rugged individual - wife says I'm bats**t crazy
you are riding in November when its 40F - thats rugged
you are riding when no one else is riding - thats individuality

as far as being BSCrazy, its not mutually exclusive with the first two

·
Super Moderator
4,608 Posts
And which one can you relate to?

·
Registered
360 Posts
KCW
There are 7 billion people on Earth, and Im not spending any time or any money trying to alter the thoughts flowing thru anyone elses head at any given instant.
I on the other hand would very much like to control and alter the thoughts in minds of others. Primarily for diabolical purposes and secondarily for giggles.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Highwayman, are you telling me that we don't control and alter the thoughts and minds of others...while we are on our bikes?????? :)

T

·
Registered
174 Posts
Nice rants. I also have a 1400 dollar 650 Classic and love the bike. It now has 20,000 km on the counter. It's light enough to push around or duck walk without looking ridiculous and goes fast enough for my use. My favourite speed is 50 mph. I don't have the budget for doing fancy things to my bike. The only thing I have bought for my bike is a 4 piece fishing rod that will fit in a packsack. Things that I will not do is wear advertising or get visible tatoos showing that I am a biker. I ride solo but I do have a passenger seat in case a pretty lady wants to ride behind me. I don't belong to a club. I am not a follower anyway. I did a lot of riding when I was young and then spent many years being jealous of those on bikes. I had bikes in my garage but did not have the budget to make them rideable. In a couple of years, I will be too old to ride so my 650 Classic will do fine for now. If I win a few million dollars, I will not buy another bike. My bike has nothing special about it but it looks good, works well and I am not ashamed of weaving around parked bikes that are worth 10 or 20 times mine.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
I started my on road 2 wheels with a 49cc scooter. I knew really quick that I loved the open feel but needed more power. I went to a 500cc scooter. 2003 Aprilia Atlantic. That thing was QUICK as hell. I loved riding it, but I still wanted more.. plus I did not have a legal MC licence to ride anything over 49cc. So I got my MC licence and learned a ton in the class. I bought a 950 touring. I lovved that bike and would still have it if it had more oomph. It was kind of slow when I would 2 up. So I went to a Goldwing.. While I had the GW I bought a Yamaha FJR 1300. I traded the FJR for my Raider. I traded my GW for the Venture. My wife has a HD Fatboy and a HD CVO Prostreet Breakout. We just bought a Honda NC750 DCT. So I feel that I have owned and ridden a wide range of bikes. I loved all of them for what they are and were. I have not owned a full sportbike, but the fJR was very close to it. I do not put down others for what they ride, as long as they are riding.. Now.. TBH do not tell me your a biker and roll up in your Slingshit with your seatbelt on. I will just laugh at you for that one. I wave at 2 wheels no matter the brand (unless they are on a scooter 2 up no gear on and obviously do not care about riding). If they are on a scooter and at least a helmet on, maybe they are saving up for their dream bike. I live in a College town, it is pretty obvious which ones care and which ones don't..lol

·
Registered
77 Posts
And which one can you relate to?

Pretty funny! I ride Because I like to ride. I ride what I ride because it us what I like. I ride with a group of friends and we do weekend trips. Last year 4 of us did a 5500 mile trip to Montana and back. I also will leave and ride all day by myself. If I see another rider I will wave, don't care what he is ridding. I guess he is ridding what he likes and if he doesn't wave back then he either didn't see me or didn't want to wave, not my problem. I did not want a shiny Harley. Although they are nice, so many other have them and I bought something else for 1/3 of the price that is just as good. He makes payments every month and I don't. Payment are the devil! Would love to have a new Venture or Eluder---but they have payments attached. I'll may try in about 10 years when they are cheaper. For now I enjoy my Honda VTX 1300 and Yamaha Stratoliner. Never thought I would own a bike that I enjoyed as much as my VTX until I bought the Strat last year. Guess I was wrong.
To me part of the fun of having a bike is making your own. We are all different and that is what makes the bikes different so ride what you like------ be your yourself------and enjoy

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
... I ride solo but I do have a passenger seat in case a pretty lady wants to ride behind me. ...

The bike looks great with the passenger MaxiPad seat removed. I had a Honda 175 back in the '70s, when you could buy a spare helmet at Kmart for $25... but today if I met a lady who wanted to ride with me, I would have to take her to a MC dealer and drop at least $1000 for a full face helmet, jacket, gloves, and boots... and if we were going to ride on the interstate: pants.

I took the passenger seat and pegs off my bike about a month after I got it, 6 years ago.

and for the record: 99% of women are not impressed and dont give a kwrap about your motorcycle.

fortunately that still leaves 1.5M women in the US who are into motorbikes :^)

·
Registered
541 Posts
Harley -vs- Import -
Hand wave or not ? -
Nice rave!

Always try to return any wave. Sometimes a big head nod is all I can manage if I'm doing something or late noticing a wave and always feel a little guilty when I notice that I didn't notice a wave. It happens. I try to remember that when a wave is not returned. And of course, that all goes out the window if there is a bunch of bikes on the road.

I know Hardly Ableson riders that are great and a few that are a little (or a lot) HD snobs. I've noticed many a nod or whatever from HDs on the road. I happen to know a couple of the good guys -- they previously owned non-HD.

Going riding again today!

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
I also wave at anything on 2 wheels (or 3) and I almost always get waves from Harley and sportbike riders. I went on some group rides and hung out with a few Harley riders at Atlanticade (local motorcycle rally) last summer and when I commented on their Harleys and how I'd like to have one someday the most common response was "Why? There's nothing wrong with what you have and it's a lot cheaper." Many of them said they started out on metric bikes and a few commented that they wouldn't mind going back to one. Maybe it's a Canadian thing, but I rarely see Harley snobbery (the local MC club rarely waves back but I don't expect them to). So, good thread, but no rant here!

·
Registered
360 Posts
KCW is quite elegant in his posts. He is extremely informed, technical, thorough and thoughtful in each of his replies. I'm saying this because too often I neglect to let people know I appreciate them.
Not to imply others are not equally as awesome - many have been extremely helpful to myself and others in my brief time here. Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
6,084 Posts
That’s what happens when you’re a member here. We see it all the time. When I first joined I was as lost as last years Easter eggs, now I can get around our forum very easily, and that’s why we’re the best in motorcycle forums.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts