Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what is the rarest of the two tone factory paint jobs from the 1998
XVS 650 to present ?

Were there any special editions with limited color options ?

If you have any details on this please post up.

Thanks jake :) :D

·
Registered
354 Posts
I don't think there is anything super rare but I've seen slalom of clear coat designs from the factory. Some with ghost Flames some with a strange bluish over black design pattern

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats interesting, Ghost flames from the factory.

I like the two tone style but was not sure what different combo's existed and which ones were rare to see. :cool:

·
Registered
354 Posts
Yeah I'm sure some one will post a pic but there are quite a few strange paint designs yamaha put out I wish I had a pic of my sister in laws 650 it had a crazy bluish design over the black base paint kinda a triangle design. This guy I know got an 1100 did not know there were flames in it until he got it out of the showroom into the sunlight

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Those examples are both one off designs. Rare i'm sure.

The two tone is marked by the center rib of both fenders being a different color than the outer edges. The tank is similar.

Those are the ones in questions here. Anybody that has data on this please post some feedback or pics.

Thanks jake :)

I hate to start all 4 lines with TH but thats what happened here ....

·
Registered
332 Posts
The triangle paintjob may be a one off, but ghost flames were indeed available directly from Yamaha for at least 2005-2007. The two that I've seen most often are Midnight Cherry or Galaxy Blue with Silver Frost flames.

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Come to think of it I have seen the blue and silver version with the ghost flames.
I thought it was a custom paint job. turns out it was factory.
Bad ass.

Thanks for clearing that up. :);):rolleyes:

·
Registered
332 Posts
Regarding the two-tone options, I was always partial to the black with white centers. The reverse looks like a police bike to me even though they're so similar. 90% of the time they're 2005s when I see them. Occasionally they're 99s. Been looking for other years but haven't seen them.

My bike is a 2001 that's Black Cherry with Black centers. I've seen about 4 or 5 but they're always the same year.

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I see, So what it looks like is based on model year the color combo's changed around a bit. And thats a good thing. It keeps things interesting.

I'm getting ready here very soon to paint my 650 Firethorn Orange
And was curious if an orange model was every made from the factory.

The FireThorn orange and black in the two tone scheme would be sic.

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The trick here is to make it last and be durable. Takes time to do it right. I have the 2 side covers and the neck covers sanded and primered. The front fender has been sanded and is ready to paint the primer on it. These are special paints and require the primer to be mixed with the hardener. Same with the base coat.
Then I have to do the clear with gold metal flake tossed in.

So to have a two tone, orange in the middle with black on the edges
And then gold flake over the whole thing. Would be interesting.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
404 Posts
Maybe not rare, but this is mine ( '02 1100) and my best friend's (650, don't remember the year). Same two-tone, red/black scheme, but basically opposite of each other. And we didn't plan it that way, we bought them over a year apart.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts