Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have not heard of any complaints about the 4 rattle points on the Stratoliner but I'll be going to work on mine soon. Maybe there are no complaints because it isn't all that annoying. And if you read some of my posts, you know what "annoying" is. :D

I am refering to the quick detach points for the windshield and the passenger backrest. When those two components are put on and locked, I don't hear any noises. But when I remove either one or both, I can hear the stainless steel bushings rattle when hitting patches of rough road. And in New England, apparently we take pride in our atrocious road surfaces.

Before I get too detailed on my cure, I need to do some dissasmbly and take some measurments, do some minor machining and buy some miscelaneous parts from the hardware or automotive store and see what the results are.

So either stay tuned or just move along and go about your business.
work some heavy oil into them it should cure it. when i'm wiping my bike down with the back rest off, i catch the towel on the roller it scares the hell out of me. what a racket.

·
Banned
1,741 Posts
Before I get too detailed on my cure, I need to do some dissasmbly and take some measurments, do some minor machining and buy some miscelaneous parts from the hardware or automotive store and see what the results are.

So either stay tuned or just move along and go about your business.

So in addition to all their other drawbacks, blue bikes rattle, too?:D

Hell with it: spray the connecting points with urethane foam and call it good.;) Alternatively, leave the windshield and backrest in place, silly!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
166 Posts
I stretched a small thin o-ring over the bolt head at the attachment point, doesn't interfere with the install and keeps the rollers tight and helps with that "pesky" annoying rattle....

·
Banned
1,741 Posts
The only additional thing I was going to do is to machine a chamfer on the I.D. of the rollers to improve the life of the o-ring.
Well if you're that concerned about improving the life of the "O" ring, why not throw in medical/dental and a 401(k)?:)

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I had the same issue and solved it with a thin nylon washer to snug those rollers up.

·
Registered
297 Posts
My fix for the rear rollers.

I have removed my quick brackets with the sissy bar, I built a custom rack for a rear trunk, that gets bolted on with these four mounting points into the fender, now this lets the pesky rollers just go to town with the various racket, I cured them with two 8 " cable ties, wrapped around them real tight, the ties are about a quarter inch wide and squeeze between the roller and the aluminum fender support member, my bike sounds different now, without the humming and racket, Now I'm enjoying the engine sound and pipes.
I know the tie wraps will fall off one day. So far so good. I do like the O-ring idea also, next time the rack comes off I will check that out also.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Stratowart, thanks for the updated pic of your modifications...:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts