Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2000 V Star 1100 Classic
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there all,

I've got a 2000 V Star 1100 Classic that I'm building a Bagger from. I've got a ton of parts waiting for me to install, just need to get the time to work on it. One of the issues I see is the worn out cover for the cables coming from the handlebar controls. I'm not sure if it used be silver and is all faded or if it was another color and has just completely discolored...hahahaha.

Has anyone replaced these covers? Should I just strip the cover off and use wire loom? Just wrap in electrical tape? Something special out there I can use?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Juan

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,891 Posts
I've covered the wires with appropriate sized wire loom in the past. Didn't look all that bad to me.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,891 Posts
The issue I've had using heat shrink is it's not split and you have to be able to feed wires through it. Wire loom is split and comes in many colors

·
Registered
402 Posts
In the late 70's and 80's when I was building choppers, we had to go to auto parts and get the wire looms made for the newer cars as no one had it in stores....then radio shack started carrying it......now with the internet you can get anything ...
Wire loom is excellent from motorcycle wire covering

·
Registered
2000 V Star 1100 Classic
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all for your input. I've been using wire loom for years, I even have it on the electrical wiring for the stereo on this bike. Not the most attractive when doing a custom build, but I like that chrome look stuff. Ended up going with the black switches from a 650 with the black wire covering. Gonna relocate the choke so that the 650 switches work.

Been working on building my true dual exhaust for the past couple of days.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hands down the best way to manage ugly handlebar control harnesses is internal routing through the handlebars.
If you can see in my photo, I have no harness showing under the handlebars because I internally wired them inside the bars and down/out through the underside of the bars right between the handlebar risers.

It's a lot of work but bar none there is no better way to get rid of the ugly cables look.

New Clubman bars.jpg

·
Registered
2000 V Star 1100 Classic
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hands down the best way to manage ugly handlebar control harnesses is internal routing through the handlebars.
If you can see in my photo, I have no harness showing under the handlebars because I internally wired them inside the bars and down/out through the underside of the bars right between the handlebar risers.

It's a lot of work but bar none there is no better way to get rid of the ugly cables look.

View attachment 91358

View attachment 91360
I love hidden controls and hidden wires. Didn't do it this time around because this is a budget build and I'm trying new things to get the experience.

·
Registered
2000 V Star 1100 Classic
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I ended up getting V Star 650 Midnight switches. I like the black housings for this application. They had black sleeves on the wires too. Unfortunately, the connectors were different from one bike to the other...lol. For the left side I actually took the internals out and switched them but that meant I lost the black sleeve.

I found some braided nylon wire covering , stripped the ugly silver crap off and recovered the wires. To be able to do this, I had to cut all the wires, slide the new sleeve over, solder/shrink wrap the wires and finish it up. Didn't bother switching over the internals for the other side since I'd have to cut the wires anyway. I just cut the connector off, put the new sleeve on, soldered and wrapped the wires and connectors from the 1100 switch and then finished it up.

Finished product came out nice and clean.

Also did the V Star 650 choke cable mod to use the 650 switch and remove the slide lever for the choke from the bars. I have a bunch of pics of that too

Gotta read up on posting pics. I have plenty.

·
Registered
2000 V Star 1100 Classic
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1 - 14 of 14 Posts