Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
RE: Walmart shooting

Earlier this morning, about 630am, a disgruntled employee with Walmart walked in to the one in Southaven, Ms. He opened fire killing two employees, Southaven police responded as well as my old department, the Desoto County Sheriff’s department.
Suspect was shot and airlifted to the Med in Memphis, Southaven Officer was also shot, but the round hit him in his vest. Officer has been released from the hospital.
Prayers for all of my former colleagues, families of those killed and the community. I’ve been in that store thousands of times and did security over the holidays there. Such a tragic event!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I didn't feel that "Chaplain's Corner" was the place to write my reply to Keith's post about the Mississippi Walmart shooting, so I am sticking it here. And I am honestly hoping that my reply does not start any infighting, as this is most certainly not my intention. But I think that we can all agree that this latest shooting is tragic, and unfortunately a sign of the times. I was just reading that the USA averages about one mass shooting per day. (355 mass shootings/year) My God. Sure, I get that it's part of your Constitution and all, and that many of my fellow forum members are gun owners, but Holy Cow, I'm not sure how it is that so many people just don't seem to see the connection between the number of gun owners and the number of gun crimes. I also just learned that a person is 6 times more likely to be killed from gun violence in the USA than in Canada. (now, before someone says that it's because the USA has 10x the population of Canada, let me say that these figures are per capita... the number of gun homicides per million people) This should speak volumes. Jeez, if you were twice as likely to be shot and killed in the USA than in Canada... well, that would be quite alarming for sure. But six times?!?

And to hopefully clarify, I have nothing against owning guns... I have owned them for most of my adult life. In fact, every person I know here in this province of Newfoundland is a gun owner. So, it definitely begs the question... why is it so much more dangerous/deadly in the States than it is here in Canada? I really don't consider Canadians and Americans to be much different from each other. Almost everyone owns guns in both of our countries. The only real difference I am seeing is that we don't carry ours around with us, unless we are out hunting, or shooting at targets. Whatever is going on with all of this dreadful gun violence these days, I sincerely hope that something changes very soon. There are far too many people getting needlessly killed.

Glen
www.FocusOnNewfoundland.com

(this chart is several years old, but you get the idea)

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
this chart puts it in a different perspective

the only countries worse than the USA are poverty crime ridden 3rd world nations

Attachments

·
Registered
512 Posts
I am a second amendment guy. With that said there is a problem in the US with effectively dealing with people with mental health issues. In my city there was a big state run mental hospital that was full years ago...today most of the space has been converted to other state offices. My question is where did these people go? Out in public? Shameful... An instance happened in the school my wife works at where a girl with known anger issues smashed a 6th grades boy's face into his desk as he sat there waiting on class to start. The Administrator responsible for this child being placed as an inclusion student in this class stated they wanted the girl to have the 6th grade experience....WHAT??? How about the boy who was just sitting there minding his own business? Is this his 6th grade experience? We have got our priorities all wrong. I also feel that social media has played a part in making empathy less present in peoples lives. I feel we need to really get a grip on how things like bullying, drug usage by the parents and the kids, mental health issue identification and treatment, food additives and electronic shoot em up games and social media affect our young people. They are our future and we need to address this issue quickly. Taking guns away is in my opinion just a band aid...There are people who are currently in jail that live by the motto where there is a will...there is a way. What I mean by that is people in prisons die everyday at the hands of their fellow inmates in a drug free..weapon free environment. It is not my desire to spark a political battle but I honestly feel that the knee jerk reaction is most always wrong.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Something else to consider is that we are a generation & a half into people taking pills to cure everything!
You have pink pills to make you happy or have less anxiety.
You have blue pills to keep a Male's southern friend standing at salute.
Just to mention a few. AND let not get started opium epidemic the USA is having.

I think here in America it's more a mental health issue with violence.

The other thing is there a problem with people's lack of respect for life.

Ride Smart! Ride Often!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I didn't feel that "Chaplain's Corner" was the place to write my reply to Keith's post about the Mississippi Walmart shooting, so I am sticking it here. And I am honestly hoping that my reply does not start any infighting, as this is most certainly not my intention. But I think that we can all agree that this latest shooting is tragic, and unfortunately a sign of the times. I was just reading that the USA averages about one mass shooting per day. (355 mass shootings/year) My God. Sure, I get that it's part of your Constitution and all, and that many of my fellow forum members are gun owners, but Holy Cow, I'm not sure how it is that so many people just don't seem to see the connection between the number of gun owners and the number of gun crimes. I also just learned that a person is 6 times more likely to be killed from gun violence in the USA than in Canada. (now, before someone says that it's because the USA has 10x the population of Canada, let me say that these figures are per capita... the number of gun homicides per million people) This should speak volumes. Jeez, if you were twice as likely to be shot and killed in the USA than in Canada... well, that would be quite alarming for sure. But six times?!?

And to hopefully clarify, I have nothing against owning guns... I have owned them for most of my adult life. In fact, every person I know here in this province of Newfoundland is a gun owner. So, it definitely begs the question... why is it so much more dangerous/deadly in the States than it is here in Canada? I really don't consider Canadians and Americans to be much different from each other. Almost everyone owns guns in both of our countries. The only real difference I am seeing is that we don't carry ours around with us, unless we are out hunting, or shooting at targets. Whatever is going on with all of this dreadful gun violence these days, I sincerely hope that something changes very soon. There are far too many people getting needlessly killed.

Glen
www.FocusOnNewfoundland.com

(this chart is several years old, but you get the idea)
I believe in the second amendment right. The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun. The last time i was at a shooting range was yesterday with my wife and daughter.

I thought about this hard and i believe that if more people believed in the philosophy of a "chaplain's corner". that would help. The answer is god. Morals in this world are lacking now. THAT IS THE PROBLEM. Lack of respect down the line.

I saw a Deputy Sheriff on the way home from up north today and thanked her for keeping us safe. She thanked me and that was not a response i had expected.

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
the two graphs make the problem clear

on both of them the USA is in the middle of nations in terms of gun deaths

do the people of this country want to be more like Australia, Germany, Sweden, Canada

or go the way of Honduras, Venezuela, El Salvador, Columbia....

because right now the tread is increasing towards the latter.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I believe in the second amendment right. The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun. The last time i was at a shooting range was yesterday with my wife and daughter.

I thought about this hard and i believe that if more people believed in the philosophy of a "chaplain's corner". that would help. The answer is god. Morals in this world are lacking now. THAT IS THE PROBLEM. Lack of respect down the line.

I saw a Deputy Sheriff on the way home from up north today and thanked her for keeping us safe. She thanked me and that was not a response i had expected.
Belief in a god doesn’t make a person moralistic in any way. I see so called Christians act worse than Satanists. The problem is exactly what you said, lack of respect. Respect for another person’s life and rights. “You don’t need religion to have morals. If you can’t determine right from wrong, then you lack empathy, not religion.”

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
I think the problem that is uniquely American is the emphasis in the constitution on individual rights
and the lack of focus on the rights of all people, a lack of understanding that humans are a colony-species that can only survive with groups of people living and working and playing together to make all our lives better with a set of common goals.

So we ended up with rights for individuals to have deadly weapons that can kill people 100 yards away
and we have rights for individuals to base their lives on any beliefs or ideas, no matter how absurd they may be, even beliefs that have been proven false,
while totally ignoring the fact that humans are subject to mental issues, poor upbringing and education, which can result in an individual becoming violent or abusive towards other people at random.

We do not allow just anyone to become a doctor and practice any random medical nonsense that pops into their head. Likewise with engineers, lawyers, agriculture, architects - they must be educated and prove they understand what they are doing

but anyone can make up their own religious beliefs and influence others, and anyone can buy deadly weapons that can kill hundreds of people in minutes, until they start shooting people... THEN they are stopped.

That is crazy. Clearly the rights of the group outweigh the rights of the individual. The right of 500 people to not be killed outweighs the right of one person to not be killed.

Americans have a disproportional sense of being a self-reliant individual instead of being a self actuated member of a group of people working together towards common goals. That mind-set is steeped deeply into our culture, and it will take decades to change.

EDIT: I often tout the merits of being a rugged individual motorbike rider. Its true that I enjoy the ability to go where I want, alone, to find my own path and explore the world on two wheels. At the same time I understand that I did not design and build my motorbike from raw materials, I did not build the roads, I do not refine my own fuel - my personal ability to live as a rugged individual is totally a product of living in a society with people spending their lives doing the things that allow me to do my thing.

That is not a paradox and its not a conflict - Im very much a part of our society that enables me to live my life as I chose. Im not about to go live in a bunker in the mountains, arm myself to the teeth, and eat only the food I can grow myself or shoot with a rifle.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
We have another epidemic here in Milwaukee is police chases that end up in fatal crashes. Last night it wasn't fatal but a guy being chased at 10pm hit a parked car onto the sidewalk. On the sidewalk were 2 kids 6 and 9 (hospitalized). Obviously the speed was a major factor. I do see a lot of problems here. The 28 year old dumnbass trying to evade. Is this because the world has gone to everything extreme (like the video games they play). When i grew up when i was 6 and 9 i was never on the sidewalk. I was home in bed at 10 pm because our parents watched us. Fatal car crashes are becoming a problem in the city as bad gun violence.

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
In the news today:

A couple camping at Kentucky's Mammoth Cave National Park was woken up in the middle of the night by a man trying to kill Bigfoot, according to WBKO.

Madelyn Durand and Brad Ginn told the news station they awoke to a man approaching their tent on Sunday night. The man told them that something had destroyed their campsite and that he was currently looking for the culprit.

The man, who was reportedly with his son, told Ginn and Durand they were in "Bigfoot country" then showed them his gun.

"He said, 'I hope you have weapons,'" Durand told WBKO. "Then he flashed his gun at us and was like, 'I have this so if anything happens to you then just yell and I'll come.'"

The couple went back into their tent as the man left, but they heard him return 10 minutes later. That's when the gunshots began.

"We saw the flash from his gun, and he shot maybe 20 yards from the side of our tent into the pitch-black darkness," Durand told CNN.

The couple recalled the man saying he fired his gun because he thought he saw Bigfoot approaching him from the brush.

"We shined a flashlight to see if there was an animal or something. And there was absolutely nothing there," Durand told CNN.

After they heard the shots, Durand and Ginn hiked back to their car and called 911. Park rangers were already on the scene when the couple reached their car.

Park officials said that there are no ongoing threats at Mammoth Cave, however, a spokesperson did tell WBKO that the investigation is ongoing
good thing people are allowed to carry guns in national parks now

because.... bigfoot!

invisible bigfoot

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I am a second amendment guy. With that said there is a problem in the US with effectively dealing with people with mental health issues. In my city there was a big state run mental hospital that was full years ago...today most of the space has been converted to other state offices. My question is where did these people go? Out in public? Shameful... An instance happened in the school my wife works at where a girl with known anger issues smashed a 6th grades boy's face into his desk as he sat there waiting on class to start. The Administrator responsible for this child being placed as an inclusion student in this class stated they wanted the girl to have the 6th grade experience....WHAT??? How about the boy who was just sitting there minding his own business? Is this his 6th grade experience? We have got our priorities all wrong. I also feel that social media has played a part in making empathy less present in peoples lives. I feel we need to really get a grip on how things like bullying, drug usage by the parents and the kids, mental health issue identification and treatment, food additives and electronic shoot em up games and social media affect our young people. They are our future and we need to address this issue quickly. Taking guns away is in my opinion just a band aid...There are people who are currently in jail that live by the motto where there is a will...there is a way. What I mean by that is people in prisons die everyday at the hands of their fellow inmates in a drug free..weapon free environment. It is not my desire to spark a political battle but I honestly feel that the knee jerk reaction is most always wrong.
Well said @Redbird58 ! A gun, like anything else is just a tool. It’s HOW it is used & WHY.
Far more people die every year from auto accidents due to DUI or texting while driving. Does that make cars evil? Obviously not. It’s the irresponsible manner in which it’s handled that makes the difference, yet I think @Redbird58 has tapped into something here. The behavior is evidence of an underlying sickness in our society. We glorify thug behavior and movies that kill everything in sight, teach that it’s ok to murder innocent children even AFTER birth. We’ve rejected societal norms such as “thou shall not kill” or “Don’t commit adultery” “Honor your father & mother” etc....
The ONLY thing different between a generation ago and now is not the amount or access to guns. It’s the absence of moral absolutes.

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
from the center for health progress:

We’ve long since reached the point where gun violence is a public health crisis.

It is the leading cause of premature death in the US—killing more than 38,000 people and causing 85,000 injuries each year.

What’s more, this a problem unique to the US.

Researchers analyzed 11 countries over 14 years and the United States has had more mass shootings than the other 10 nations combined.

And while mass shootings tend to draw more attention, they still only account for a small fraction of the 38,000 gun deaths each year;

more than half of all gun deaths are suicides.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
from the center for health progress:

We’ve long since reached the point where gun violence is a public health crisis.

It is the leading cause of premature death in the US—killing more than 38,000 people and causing 85,000 injuries each year.

What’s more, this a problem unique to the US.

Researchers analyzed 11 countries over 14 years and the United States has had more mass shootings than the other 10 nations combined.

And while mass shootings tend to draw more attention, they still only account for a small fraction of the 38,000 gun deaths each year;

more than half of all gun deaths are suicides.
The suicides are also indicators of of the sickness. No hope!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts