Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can't figure this out. My rear brake pedal sticks down when applied. Pads were worn out and fluid level low so I replaced The pads and topped off fluid , still sticks. I lubricated and cleaned pedal pivots still no change. Anyone ever experience this problem? Any input would be appreciated!

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I'm not sure what kind of bike you have....but I'd look for a missing pedal return spring first....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry. 2005 VStar 1100 Silverado. And yes return spring is still there cleaned and lubed. Think I'll remove pedal and clean pivots. Maybe I'll find something there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Rear brake sticking

Ever figure this one out ? I'm having the same issue on my bike....seems to return to normal after it cools off.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I haven't had any problems with my disc brakes on my bike, but my disc brakes on my 1977 Ford sometimes stick, especially if they get old and have alot of wear where the piston is. A good way of checking it is to raise the tire in the air and rotate the tire, noting in your mind how much effort it takes to rotate the tire. Then actuate the brake pedal and then let the pedal return to its normal position. Try to turn the tire. Is it harder to turn? If it is, then your brake caliper needs replaced or reworked.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Sounds like it's probably time to rebuild the caliper. The rubber O ring on the piston is probably worn out and there may be crud build up on the piston as well.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Ultimately the first step is to determine if the sticking is in the caliber or just the movement of the pedal itself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts