Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
62 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I've got an '02 VStar 1100 with 28K on the clock.

Recently developed a drip of oil from the Breather Cap on top of the Rear Diff. No idea why after 3 yrs of ownership it's begun doing this. I checked the level and the gear oil is just to the top of the threads of the fill bolt hole. It hasn't been changed or topped off - haven't touched

Any helpful hints or tips on how-to replace? I've ordered an OEM replacement which will arrive in about a week.

thanks in advance,
~Lou

· Administrator - "Loose Nut" - Bandera, Texas
2001 VS1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD EG(totaled) 2006 Vulcan 900 and 2019 HD Freewheeler (current)
15,290 Posts
Reaction score
Thought you posted here that all was good:

Going to change breather anyway? It's a press fit breather.

Reactions: LouA

· Registered
62 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thought you posted here that all was good:

Going to change breather anyway? It's a press fit breather.
Hey Les,

Well, the "all good" note was a bit premature I'm afraid - I rode home that Friday and no leak. I rode to work today and sure enough, it dripped again from the breather so yeah, I'm gonna replace it.

Anything to know in advance or tips/tricks to replacing it? Or is it pretty straight forward: Twist/Lift to remove, and just Tap new one into place?

2001 VS1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD EG(totaled) 2006 Vulcan 900 and 2019 HD Freewheeler (current)
15,290 Posts
Reaction score
Hey Les,

Or is it pretty straight forward: Twist/Lift to remove, and just Tap new one into place?
That's it, might need to pry up on it some.

15,290 Posts
Reaction score
Thanks Les! I figured as much but feel better hearing it from someone.

Does the new one go one clean or with Teflon tape?
You will get different opinions on that. I personally put a very small coating of RTV on it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts